Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v New Zealand - Tuesday, 21st November 2023 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    On the Staunton vs kerr thing.. I always felt the team was moments from disaster while under kerr we were in danger of being very very good.

I was at all those home games. Apart from the second half against Israel the kerr period was fun. I was chewing my knuckles for.most of the Staunton era.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    There's no movement at all from the players in the last several games. Nobody making runs. All very static and slow.

NZ copped onto this and probably should have won the game.

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Imo that's a well played out myth. Was there that much difference between Kerr and Staunton?.
    Kerr (2006) had us one point off second. His own fault in many ways - Israel at home and away the obvious ones.

Stan (2008) had us ten points off second. 5-2 v Cyprus, 1-1 v Cyprus (a late equaliser ending lifting us off sixth in the group I think) and that game in San Marino. Not to mention being stuffed 4-0 by the Dutch at home. That all in the space of 18 months.

Then in 2010 Trap has us four points clear in second, and a cheat away from a penalty shootout against France.

Kenny has had a longer run of bad results, but he's also got an awful squad. I think the two balance out to an extent that both he and Stan are in the "worst manager" discussion

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I couldn’t give my ticket away in an office of 500 ppl not a single person wanted one.

I couldn’t make it but say at home thankful I wasn’t there ! We probably should have lost.

We can’t go any lower and I wonder how many skip season ticket renewal on Friday.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    If you don’t feel even a little bad for him after that interview, you have no heart. Poor fella. Someone must have been chopping onions near him.
    Thought he was his usual stuttering rambling self to be honest. Still deluded as to what he has "achieved"

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Once Johnston ran out of steam after 20 mins or so, our gameplan was there for all to see – we had none. Rudderless, no purpose, without direction – dismal in the extreme. No doubt there is attention to detail and preparation behind the scenes, John O’Shea and Keith Andrews always appear in deep concentration looking at screens on the bench, but the on-field performances are that of a team not being (effectively) coached. It really is night and day from when Barry/ Eustace were part of the coaching staff – you could see what we wanted to do. Last night was a sad cumulation of three years effort. We had nothing.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Agree totally with ifk. All I could see of any kind of "Kennyball" philosophy was a reluctance to hoofing it. Everything else was ponderous and lacking any invention. Give it to Johnston was about the most daring tactic we had. We created no overloads, there were huge gaps between our lines and there were huge gaps between the players. Worse still, I saw players actively avoiding finding positions to receive a pass in. If that's harsh, the alternative explanation is as bad - they didn't have the instinct to find space.

I nearly took a pic of the TV screen in the second half because there was one occasion when we had the ball facing forward on the half way line and there wasn't even another Irish player in the picture!

Once NZ copped on that we were rubbish they took control and did so by getting numbers forward and having several players available to receive the ball, all in relatively close proximity to each other. They'd isolate our players. They moved the ball from player to player quickly. They moved forward as a unit. We only ever had mini-units. Two players near each other on each touchline, maybe another infield. This was NZ FFS.

Do we not work on how to create overloads and isolate their players?

I watched a lot of Celtic under Postecoglou. It was amazing how often they were able to play balls inside the CBs and full backs to set up a square ball. It was obvious that this was coached. What do we work on to create openings?

Our ability to lose control of games from a position of relative comfort and bright starts is staggering.

I texted some mates last night that even as kids in suburban Rathfarnham, hardly a hotbed of street footballers, when we played 4 x 4 on the road we'd try to find angles and spaces. We weren't much good and we weren't coached but we still had the wits to play inventively.

And the obligatory goal conceded from 20-22 yards. Jesus wept.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 22/11/2023 at 8:35 AM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Thought he was his usual stuttering rambling self to be honest. Still deluded as to what he has "achieved"
    What was he talking about? He said at one stage that the team is set up excellently for the next "Nations League B campaign without the likes of France of Germany in our group". We've never had a top tier nation in our NL groups. Did he even know what competition he was managing in, game to game?? Thank god he's gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    delaney and dunne talking their usual nonsense on TV last night. hopefully with Kenny gone we wont be subjected to another few years of nonsense talking points from those 2. Less said about the game the better. Just happy we dont have to watch Ireland for a few months.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    What were D and D saying?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What were D and D saying?
    more or less saying kenny should have kept onto more older players. Delaney said he should have kept onto randolph , shane long and hendrick (LOL). Long was pushed out by mccarthy , brought back by kenny over 2 seasons where he didnt see over 600 league mins on the pitch for his clubs. Kenny should be criticised for plenty but this idea that we were leaving very good older players out is laughable. how many chances did he give to james mccarthy to come back in?

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Lot of clips from Delaney and Dunne on their Twitter
    https://twitter.com/VMSportIE
    You'll need to scroll down a little
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 22/11/2023 at 9:08 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    more or less saying kenny should have kept onto more older players. Delaney said he should have kept onto randolph , shane long and hendrick (LOL). Long was pushed out by mccarthy , brought back by kenny over 2 seasons where he didnt see over 600 league mins on the pitch for his clubs. Kenny should be criticised for plenty but this idea that we were leaving very good older players out is laughable. how many chances did he give to james mccarthy to come back in?
    There's definitely a point in there, although I don't think it reflects on Kenny. We've arguably gone from having too old a team to too young a team, and probably need a couple more experienced heads in the squad. 14 of the 23 in this squad were 25 and younger; Doherty, Duffy and McClean were the only over 30s.

But that's because we don't really have anyone in the older category now. Hendrick was last called up in September so you can hardly say he's been overlooked; I think he's not doing all that great for Wednesday at the moment (OwlsFan might know more!) Randolph made his own bed; he's played more games for Ireland than for his club since Kenny took over. Hourihane was quietly dropped once he dropped down to the third tier and I think that was fair.

I think the next campaign is going to be a struggle again - partly because too many of the squad aren't progressing at club level as we'd want - but maybe by the next Euros we might have fixed the age balance? But Kenny didn't have a magic wand to fix that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's definitely a point in there, although I don't think it reflects on Kenny. We've arguably gone from having too old a team to too young a team, and probably need a couple more experienced heads in the squad. 14 of the 23 in this squad were 25 and younger; Doherty, Duffy and McClean were the only over 30s.

But that's because we don't really have anyone in the older category now. Hendrick was last called up in September so you can hardly say he's been overlooked; I think he's not doing all that great for Wednesday at the moment (OwlsFan might know more!) Randolph made his own bed; he's played more games for Ireland than for his club since Kenny took over. Hourihane was quietly dropped once he dropped down to the third tier and I think that was fair.

I think the next campaign is going to be a struggle again - partly because too many of the squad aren't progressing at club level as we'd want - but maybe by the next Euros we might have fixed the age balance? But Kenny didn't have a magic wand to fix that.
    I just took issue with the tone the two of them came across with. Kennys hand was forced in most cases to go with the younger lads. As has been pointed on by plenty, we pretty much lost a generation of footballers born from 92-96 ish or so (?). I think he kept as much experience in the squad as he could tbh. Duffy, Doherty, Coleman,McClean,Hourihane, Hendrick, Stevens (when fit) ... lads like mccarthy and arter floating in and out at the start. McGoldrick retired aswell. Coming out to bat for shane long being in the squad when he was playing 500 mins a season was strange to say the least from Delaney. But its probably what I should expect.

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    The game last night summed up the entire Kenny era - started out with a bit of a flourish - then once the opposition figure things out Kenny can't adapt, change, modify or do anything except stand on the sideline looking forlorn and watching the team fail again (this time against a team that a guy playing for Sligo Rovers - no slight on Sligo Rovers - a goalkeeper who is the reserve at Burton Albion etc). Throughout the entire second half Darren Bazaley was sitting back, smiling and chatting with the rest of the coaching staff, knowing he had the measure of Kenny and that at worst his team were going to draw the game. Like any competent international manager, his team was better than the sum of its parts - Kenny has sucessfully managed to do the exact opposite.

Time to get rid of - and to the FAI please hire someone who has at least proven they are competent.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Ferguson's introduction was the fiftieth appearance by a teenage player in the last 10 years, with Kenny awarding 42 of those caps
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Jobs for the boys !

29. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ferguson's introduction was the fiftieth appearance by a teenage player in the last 10 years, with Kenny awarding 42 of those caps
    The other 8 were Rice (3) and Obafemi under MON and Mick capped Connolly (2), Parrott, and O'Connor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    What was he talking about? He said at one stage that the team is set up excellently for the next "Nations League B campaign without the likes of France of Germany in our group". We've never had a top tier nation in our NL groups. Did he even know what competition he was managing in, game to game?? Thank god he's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    yeah, it was awful. He barely answered a question he was asked. But i felt for him.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Is that stat above counting each appearance by the same teen? Seems kind of pointless if so.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast