Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Next Kerry FC Manager

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts

Next Kerry FC Manager

If the club decides to keep it an internal appointment, Damien Locke seems most probable, but would imagine he's happy to remain with the Academy, and his record at Wexford was relatively undistinguished. Within the county, Brian Spillane would be the outstanding candidate, but after the time he applied for the U19 job, he mightn't want to put his name forward again. As for looking further afield, a fresh face would undoubtedly give a new perspective on what the squad may need next year, but with most of the budget presumably devoted to new players, that would presumably rule out any of the names that usually float around the League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Is there going to be a new manager? All the talk is Billy being sporting director and Conor McCarthy promoted to Head Coach.

Kerry FC Head Coach Conor McCarthy said; “Firstly I just want to say I am delighted to be the Head Coach of Kerry FC for the 2024 season. On a personal note, this is a very proud moment for me and my family and I am very grateful for the club’s backing and support. This is a very exciting opportunity and one I can’t wait to get started with.”

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    Going by all the reports, McCarthy will effectively be operating as manager, even if he doesn't officially get the actual title, continuity being the priority for now. Looks like the biggest challenge will be bringing in some midfielders/attacking players, if Leo does go to Galway, to compound Cian Barrett and Martin Coughlan's departures.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    First interview with the coaching team - rather cagey, as one might expect, but TBF, with the current breakdown of roles, Billy will be the liaison between the board and McCarthy/Sugrue, so he'll hear exactly what's happening behind the scenes first. As things stand, they have to prepare as if nothing has changed, and try to balance recruitment against likely departures:

https://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/kerr...utm_medium=web