Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2024 UEFA European Under-19 Championship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Vata substituted for Moore, Vata was carried off the pitch so I hope it's not serious.
    That was Turley. That was his third time going down with cramp. Vata had gone off the pitch a few seconds earlier.

Mad they didn’t make changes sooner. 3 games come quick and fast and was obvious that there were tired legs out there and good players on the bench (Moore, Whitmarsh, Doherty, Melia).

McManus didn’t make the bench. Not sure what the deal is there but a further blow to an already weakened midfield

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    That was Turley. That was his third time going down with cramp. Vata had gone off the pitch a few seconds earlier.

Mad they didn’t make changes sooner. 3 games come quick and fast and was obvious that there were tired legs out there and good players on the bench (Moore, Whitmarsh, Doherty, Melia).

McManus didn’t make the bench. Not sure what the deal is there but a further blow to an already weakened midfield
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Nah it was Turley carried off, Vata looked fine going off.

Finished 3-1 to Ireland.
    Sorry, thought it was Vata
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    O'Mahony is progressing well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Lineup for the second qualifier against Slovenia, 0-0 at half time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Lineup for the second qualifier against Slovenia, 0-0 at half time
    If we can keep Slovenia to 0 shots on target we should get a draw and maybe even sneak a win!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    It finished 0-0 between Ireland and Slovenia

Belgium beat Albania 2-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Ireland currently top the group because we've one fewer yellow card then Belgium, last game to come on Tuesday against Belgium
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 18/11/2023 at 3:24 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Ireland currently top the group because we've one fewer yellow card then Belgium, last game to come on Tuesday against Belgium
    A win or high score draw (of 2-2 or higher) would guarantee Ireland a top 2 finish. If Ireland draw its important it's at least a 1-1 draw as even if we end up finishing 3rd it would mean we have a good chance of being the best 3rd place side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    791 Posts
    Not finishing at least second would be an underachievement for this group surely, it's supposed to be one of our stronger Under 19 squads in recent years.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Not finishing at least second would be an underachievement for this group surely, it's supposed to be one of our stronger Under 19 squads in recent years.
    It would although the issue is Belgium and this particular Slovenian side I would rate higher than anything we faced in the u19s last year. We have every chance of qualifying but we are in such a group that we simply can’t afford to screw up as it’s very unforgiving.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It's a decent group in terms of star talent, less so in terms of depth. 2002 was a year of star talent (Bazunu, Omobamidele, Hodge, Ebosele, Parrott, Cannon) but a real lack of depth beyond the stars and loads of holes in squads. 2003 was a year with much more depth - many many good players, often 3-5 per position who could be good enough for an underage side but very few unmissable stars. If you compare the list above to guys like Moran, Armstrong, Garcia-McNulty, O'Neill, Lawal, Adaramola - the 2003 lads have one single cap between them but the 2002 lads have 50 caps between them (and for reference, this time last year, when they'd have been the same age as the 2003 lads, they had a collective 35 caps)

Anyway, tangent over, the strength of the group is hugely diminished by losing Curtis, Heffernan, Ferizaj, Murphy, Gibbard, Zefi and Fraser. That's five of the starting 11 - still some really good players there like Vata, Umeh, Moore and O'Mahony - but some years, we just don't have the depth that other years have - and we have to pull a lot of players from a younger age group into the squad, much more than is generally the case in europe. so when we lose players to older age groups or to injury, it can derail a promising group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    lineup for the final qualifier against Belgium

Trent Kone Doherty didn't start any of the three qualifiers.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Kone-Doherty is still only 17 and has another year at 19s. I wouldn't worry too much, the forwards to choose from are stacked. No shame in being behind Vata and O'Mahony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Yeah, I know. The forward players in the squad can all make a valid claim to be in the starting XI. Just thought it was strange. He's probably playing at a higher level than any other non-LOI player in the squad, but didn't start any of the three games

0-0 in both games at half time
    As things stand, Slovenia will go through as the best third placed side
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/11/2023 at 1:00 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Yeah, I know. The forward players in the squad can all make a valid claim to be in the starting XI. Just thought it was strange. He's probably playing at a higher level than any other non-LOI player in the squad, but didn't start any of the three games

0-0 in both games at half time
    As things stand, Slovenia will go through as the best third placed side
    And funny enough both games Belgium and Slovenia score almost at identical times...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Out of the Championships after losing 1-0 to Belgium, Slovenia beat Albania 1-0 to finish second. The draw against Slovenia really cost us.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is this a knock on effect of Moran getting promoted to the senior squad? Adam Murphy of St Pat's was originally named in the squad, but was called into the U21s to replace Moran. I don't know how important he is to the team.
    FWIW Murphy didn't play against Norway on Friday, we'll see if he features against Italy later on today.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Now that the 2005 age group are finished with the U19s early the FAI should look to organize something for the 04/05 age group or some lads will go awhile before making another underage appearance for Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Out of the Championships after losing 1-0 to Belgium, Slovenia beat Albania 1-0 to finish second. The draw against Slovenia really cost us.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is this a knock on effect of Moran getting promoted to the senior squad? Adam Murphy of St Pat's was originally named in the squad, but was called into the U21s to replace Moran. I don't know how important he is to the team.
    FWIW Murphy didn't play against Norway on Friday, we'll see if he features against Italy later on today.
    This - I mean, I don't think Moran should have been called up.

Separately, Crawford still had no reason to call up Murphy. All of Goodrham, McJannett, Vaughn and Coleman are of a very similar level to what Murphy gives you (Henry-Francis too but I believe he's injured) and all would be fine for the 21s as a sixth midfielder - he's unlikely to be used by Crawford - I could see him bringing in fresh legs vs Italy and he might go for the better defensive work of Murphy over Gilsenan. In normal circumstances, the 19s could have managed without Murphy but they were missing Ferizaj and Gibbard too, so you end up losing 3 of your 4 true/deep midfielders (not number 10s) that you want to take.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    This - I mean, I don't think Moran should have been called up.

Separately, Crawford still had no reason to call up Murphy. All of Goodrham, McJannett, Vaughn and Coleman are of a very similar level to what Murphy gives you (Henry-Francis too but I believe he's injured) and all would be fine for the 21s as a sixth midfielder - he's unlikely to be used by Crawford - I could see him bringing in fresh legs vs Italy and he might go for the better defensive work of Murphy over Gilsenan. In normal circumstances, the 19s could have managed without Murphy but they were missing Ferizaj and Gibbard too, so you end up losing 3 of your 4 true/deep midfielders (not number 10s) that you want to take.
    So what we are saying is that the u19s losing is Kennys fault ... For the record I still think it was right that Moran was called up to the seniors, but he should have played against the Dutch. This is also why I think the new manager has to have awareness of our underage teams and not be solely focused on the seniors like O'Neill and Trap
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12