Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Netherlands V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 18 November 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Parrott on for injury time? Not sure how much impact that change will have...

(Famous last words?)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Thought Bazunu was really good overall - could he have done better for the goal? Mikey Johnston looked lively. Despite the doom and gloom and frustration, Collins was probably fouled for their goal - and Idah was a centimetre or two away from scoring a good goal. Doesn’t feel great right now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Out with a Whimper.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bit pointless to be in Norway yesterday and in Holland today, no?

Agree the FAI shouldn't (and obviously didn't) be interfering in those matters
    Well it definitely was pointless to have him in Holland tonight anyway. I would have left him play in Norway last night and then join up with the seniors back in Dublin tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Really silly to take him from an important U21s game for a dead rubber senior match.
    I imagine the U21 manager is livid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Kenny is lucky that treason isn’t still a hanging offence ….. his tenure makes me want to puke

7. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Thought Bazunu was really good overall - could he have done better for the goal? Mikey Johnston looked lively. Despite the doom and gloom and frustration, Collins was probably fouled for their goal - and Idah was a centimetre or two away from scoring a good goal. Doesn’t feel great right now
    Bazunu did well - probably our best player. Goal was one he could maybe have done better for but he made up for it over the rest of the game. Bit lucky with the one that went through his hands and his thumbs (?) touched it into the post.

Idah was on for 50 minutes including injury time and touched the ball nine times. I think that says a lot about the game. We just had nothing up front really. Probably a mix of poor forwards and players not able to get the ball to them. Holland were comfortable enough dealing with us, and we got worse as the game went on (as usual)

Malen should have scored when clean through but had a woeful touch. Think they made a hames of another good chance too.

Ultimately, probably as decent as I was expecting though, to be quite honest. Even if the Dutch were missing a few players. There's games to slate Kenny over and I don't feel this is one. (It doesn't redeem him either of course)

Nerdy question - but can anyone remember our keeper going up for a setpiece in injury time before?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Worst qualifying campaign ever
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/11/2023 at 6:22 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Out with a Whimper.
    The Dutch never had to get out of first gear while we were sputtering in second.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Bazunu did well - probably our best player. Goal was one he could maybe have done better for but he made up for it over the rest of the game. Bit lucky with the one that went through his hands and his thumbs (?) touched it into the post.

Idah was on for 50 minutes including injury time and touched the ball nine times. I think that says a lot about the game. We just had nothing up front really. Probably a mix of poor forwards and players not able to get the ball to them. Holland were comfortable enough dealing with us, and we got worse as the game went on (as usual)

Malen should have scored when clean through but had a woeful touch. Think they made a hames of another good chance too.

Ultimately, probably as decent as I was expecting though, to be quite honest. Even if the Dutch were missing a few players. There's games to slate Kenny over and I don't feel this is one. (It doesn't redeem him either of course)

Nerdy question - but can anyone remember our keeper going up for a setpiece in injury time before?
    I feel like Shay did it once, maybe against France?

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Terrible Dutch team
    No tactics, energy or belief
    If Molumby is the answer , I don't know what the question is
    We have always been more than the sum of our parts, now we are less
    I'm a huge fan of the Leagie of Ireland, and have to concede that the LOI fans have given Kenny far more leeway than any other manager would have received.
    Kenny has not only damaged this generations prospects, but the next too.
    Never thought I'd see incompetence to rival Stan, but there you go.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Collins was shocking for the goal. He has not progressed at all, and has probably regressed.

Liam Scales looks a better player than him at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    At least we won't have to watch him stumbling and rambling through another post match interview. He makes Harry kane look like brendan beehan

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Collins was shocking for the goal. He has not progressed at all, and has probably regressed.
    Fair, also his shirt was pulled & not a word from anyone, might expect RTE to maybe mention!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    After each game, Brentford fans vote in a Man of the Match poll, with NC currently 4th on the list. Having seen a few of their games this season I'd agree with that, notwithstanding that he had a bit of a blip around the defeat to Everton:
    https://griffinpark.org/forums/threa...season.139586/

While The Athletic's Brentford correspondent also agrees:
    https://theathletic.com/5031602/2023...ampaign=601983

Perhaps the problem is not so much the player as the environment when he reports for international duty?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts

Holland's shooting is a bit wayward but I think it's half decent so far.
    Feel like I've jumped back 20 years with this statement.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    After each game, Brentford fans vote in a Man of the Match poll, with NC currently 4th on the list. Having seen a few of their games this season I'd agree with that, notwithstanding that he had a bit of a blip around the defeat to Everton:
    https://griffinpark.org/forums/threa...season.139586/

While The Athletic's Brentford correspondent also agrees:
    https://theathletic.com/5031602/2023...ampaign=601983

Perhaps the problem is not so much the player as the environment when he reports for international duty?
    Absolutely right. He’s probably our second best player in terms of ability and potential. The fact that he struggles in a Kenny team is a comment on Kenny. Maybe he expects coherence, structure, a tactical plan. Ferguson also looks lost when playing for Ireland. The fact he can’t get consistent levels from our best players really exposes his weaknesses.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Nathan Collins getting easily spun by Wout Weghorst for the goal and then passing the ball to no one shortly after is absolutely not the fault of Stephen Kenny.

It was a poor performance overall and reminded me a bit of the performance against France, where we were second to every ball in midfield. The Dutch dominated possession and the fact they had 19 shots overall to our 3 (?) tells the story. Gavin Bazunu performed well, but it was hard to find any bright spots otherwise.
    Last edited by Predator; 19/11/2023 at 9:26 AM.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Think the (quality of) coaching/ organisation needs to be questioned again imo. There was either too much space between our lines or our lines collapse on top of each other. The goal is an example of too much space, our back line should be on the half line there to close and compress space to make it difficult to play through us (maybe could look at Collins here as the organiser of the backline?). As was, it took a simple forward pass to pull us apart which happened on several occasions. For the shot Bazunu spilled onto the post, we had eight players fall back onto to 18-yard line which allowed the shot as we had dropped too deep to block it. This inviting of shots from distance is a recurring problem.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    When Collins and Ferguson look anonymous/poor in you're side you know its on the manager/coaches.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast