Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2024

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts
    It's a relieved and pleased face they have got out of there still alive with the tie open with the business end setup at home for the 2nd leg and I think it's understandable as he has the European progression monkey on his back

Of course I agree it's not a great sign on the current low bar of the LOI but I remember 20 years ago Shels getting out of Iceland with a 1st leg draw before our famous run that year so a draw over there is not to be sniffed at for Rovers
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Its hard to see how we go from pinned back and conceeding 17 corners (how they didnt score from one is a mystery) to being the better team and winning in Tallaght.
    Obviously Bradser set up for a nil nil and try and get a late goal but can we stop them scoring ion Tallaght if we come out and play ???? dont know but a few Novena's cant hurt and maybe Kenny to not need his usual 3 chances to score one goal
    It changes by the team you select that won’t allow them have as much of the ball and therefore won’t be creating as many chances or getting corners. Kenny up top. Start Farrugia and Burke and it’s a different side. Maybe you are dampening down expectations but you should be quietly confident you can beat these in Tallaght.
    Vikingur got to be thinking now how to break you down and knowing you will be better at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Burke didn't travel so in ant see him being back. He would make a difference as he can hold onto the ball. I'm not dampening down expectations at all I expected us to lose over there based on how we have been playing and it was bizarre that we didn't tbh. With minimal available changes I expect us to lose in tallaght...I just can't see us going from conceding 18 corners and having almost no ball to a complete turnaround. Obviously I'm praying we do but it's hard to see. That being said I remember one of the times dundalk played BATE away first and should have lost by 3 or 4 but then played them off the park in Talaght so there is hope I suppose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Burke didn't travel so in ant see him being back. He would make a difference as he can hold onto the ball. I'm not dampening down expectations at all I expected us to lose over there based on how we have been playing and it was bizarre that we didn't tbh. With minimal available changes I expect us to lose in tallaght...I just can't see us going from conceding 18 corners and having almost no ball to a complete turnaround. Obviously I'm praying we do but it's hard to see. That being said I remember one of the times dundalk played BATE away first and should have lost by 3 or 4 but then played them off the park in Talaght so there is hope I suppose
    I tend to allow myself to be hopeful before big matches, because if you lose you're going to be sad about it anyway, may as well be hopeful for a week before it all goes to hell

I think the Rovers we seen post subs and before the red card is a lot closer to the performance we'll see in Tallaght. Vikingur had a day extra rest and didn't have to travel for last night, they're little things as well as the home crowd on a bigger faster pitch that will suit some of your players that I think will push things more in Rovers favour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    It's a relieved and pleased face they have got out of there still alive with the tie open with the business end setup at home for the 2nd leg and I think it's understandable as he has the European progression monkey on his back

Of course I agree it's not a great sign on the current low bar of the LOI but I remember 20 years ago Shels getting out of Iceland with a 1st leg draw before our famous run that year so a draw over there is not to be sniffed at for Rovers
    I'm not sniffing at the result, I have an issue with the celebratory or acceptance nature of the manager about the result. Shake hands, nod politely, accept that there is another 9omins to get through, but less of the fist air punching and ear to ear grin. It was a stalemate at best. It s not quite the same but I remember Chrish Shields celebrating a relegation playoff win (2012), standing on a chair dancng and chanting. He was told to cut it out as it was below the club to celebrate a relegation playoff. In gerneral the mood was muted relief not acting like we had just won the cup. Rovers fans should be questioning the ambition of Bradley esecially in the cotext of claims of not being backed with budget increases etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    i Agree celebrateing a nil nil draw where we got pummeled is riddiculous and serves only to get the oposition backs up but to be fair considering the schooling we got from them and surviving 18 corners and a sending off there was probably a lot of relief at the end.
    Anyone that watched it would agree we got away with murder.
    They had over 70& possesion but it wasnt just tipping round t the back they were all over us pumping the ball into our box....Sean Hoare was super must be concussed he headed the ball so often

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Far be it from me to defend Rovers but the Nugent sending off was incredibly harsh. He was pushed, he probably didn't need to go down, but really think a booking for simulation needs to mean a dive rather than going to ground while pushed. Unlucky on that count, but they were blessed to get away with a draw.

Expect Derry and Shels to progress, but a draw in Gibraltar is a good result, I struggled to sit for 90 minutes in that heat, never mind play a match

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Have to agree with sbgawa. They’ll be content I’d say to hit us on the break. I think that’s their preferred way to play so we’ll need to be very wary of that but actually take it at them.

a 0-1 there would have been huge

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Magpies 0-0 Derry at halftime

Derry hit the bar and had a shot off the line inside the opening 20. There's been a water break too, so tis quite warm.

Have to be reasonably happy with that so far I guess

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    And Derry go behind ten minutes into the second half

That's not a good look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    It's hard to believe it's been so long and this season feels like a fever dream, but boy is it good to be back in Europe.

UTR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    We're playing at a similar time next week. Will be interesting to see how the weather affects us. Hopefully we can help ourselves tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Just shows you how much a nice win is needed tonight

Wouldn't want to be going out there with anything less than a two-goal cushion I'd say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Absolutely. It's one of the reasons I never understand the "Away first" crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Where would a loss tonight for Derry rank on the LOI Wall of Shame?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Not a great start for the Co-Efficent either,no easy games in Europe but you'd have hoped 2 ties against teams from Gibraltar would have been good chances for wins...
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Oh dear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    2 Nil to Magpies now,not a good look ...
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Derry currently 2 nil down against a low-level pub team from Gibraltar. Dundalk and Rovers easily and comprehensively tossed aside last year by Icelandic opponents. Rovers in danger of repeating that again this year against another Icelandic opponent. Pat's beaten by a Luxembourg outfit. We have some of the worst stadia in Europe, trace elements (<0.01%) full time academy coaching. Our best players generally tend to go to the English 3rd division, for peanuts, or usually, entirely free, and many struggle. Our national team even got beaten by Luxembourg. We are where we are.

While the increases in buzz and crowd sizes throughout the League at least point to steady progression, we're going in the entire opposite direction with our European results. Many of us are hoping this campaign that a LOI side progress through a round. We're in for a long, hard road of being in the lowest pot for qualifying for major tournaments regarding the National Team, and even more directly, for LOI clubs, in terms of the co-effecients.

Good luck to Shels tonight, but, if they do become that LOI club that progresses through a round this year, it'll likely be as far as they get.

21. Thanks From:

Page 12 of 82 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast