Page 45 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The LOI has never been in a better place as far as I'm concerned. The sign that seemingly average players are being picked up by League One and League Two clubs, and even First Division players going across and doing well, isn't a sign that the league is at it's weakest, it's arguably quite the opposite.

It's this nonsense "my club isn't doing amazing so the whole league is crap". It drives me mental reading it.
    Its not "my club isn't doing amazing" for me at least. I believe the average players leaving the league has more to do with brexit making it harder for L1/L2 to sign players from outside of the UK than an overall increase in quality of the league. Take for example Greg Bolger who has a fantastic LOI career part of league and cup winning teams throughout his career but I can never recall him being linked with a move to the UK yet you have Rory Feely earning a move to the UK? A player who Pat's fans were happy enough to see the back of when he left them and similarly Bohs fans were happy to see the back of when he left us? Its mind boggling imo. I firmly believe that if former players like Dave Mulcahy, Paddy Kavanagh, Derek Pender and probably more would be over in the UK now instead of spending their careers here. And that's not a dig at any of those lads they were really good LOI players and IMO better than Feely and Kelly but still didn't get a move to the UK in their prime. The league needs players like this to stay long term otherwise the overall consistency and in my opinion quality of the league will continue to trend downwards

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Bolger was strongly linked with Motherwell a few years back, but I'd be inclined to agree with you overall.

I think it's good that players are moving abroad for improving transfer fees (though I agree Brexit is playing a big part), but we need new players coming through to replace them more than be taking punts on random foreigners. The foreigners have their place but they're stop-gaps who'll leave after a year or two on a free. But there seems to me (and this could be completely wrong) to be a reluctance to put too much faith in the academies. I know there's some coming through - particularly at Pat's - but it feels there's a dearth there.

And I don't think so many teams should be struggling to fill squads this close to the season. It seems a recurring issue the last couple of years that I don't remember before.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bolger was strongly linked with Motherwell a few years back, but I'd be inclined to agree with you overall.

I think it's good that players are moving abroad for improving transfer fees (though I agree Brexit is playing a big part), but we need new players coming through to replace them more than be taking punts on random foreigners. The foreigners have their place but they're stop-gaps who'll leave after a year or two on a free. But there seems to me (and this could be completely wrong) to be a reluctance to put too much faith in the academies. I know there's some coming through - particularly at Pat's - but it feels there's a dearth there.

And I don't think so many teams should be struggling to fill squads this close to the season. It seems a recurring issue the last couple of years that I don't remember before.
    We haven't relied on foreign imports much historically. We might even see a bit of a reversal in the interest from L1 and L2 sides. Not many who have gone over have done much. Probably more have come back than have stayed? Could just have been a knee jerk reaction by English teams to having the door closed on signing the younger lads. I suppose as long as we are a cheap market they will still take a few swings but clubs like Preston, who were very active at one point, seem to have stopped already.

Do agree that we need to see more come through the academies but we also need an u21 league or similar to help there. Pats do it well but they are alone as it stands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    By my count that makes 7 players as well as the head coach taken straight from Dundalk. A phenomenally detailed scouting system up in Derry.
    It was alright when Dundalk were taking all Derry's best players...
    Just returning the favour now.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    . We might even see a bit of a reversal in the interest from L1 and L2 sides. Not many who have gone over have done much. Probably more have come back than have stayed?
    You could be right. Mandroiu has done ok at Lincoln and Toal is doing well with Bolton. But Keena has flopped at Cheltenham, Omochere hasn't been great (one goal this season for Fleetwood at the bottom of the third tier), Duffy is a bit-part player for Lincoln, Devoy is out of favour I think (?), Darragh Burns is back already (on loan), McGinty has barely played at Oxford, Abankwah's loan spell with Charlton was a disaster, and so on.

The LoI needs the transfer fees to grow, but we also need the players to justify the transfer fees when they move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    As if it wasn't a miserable enough day for Dundalk, they've apparently hit a snag with trying to re-sign Nathan Shepperd and (presumably his representative?) Andy Burton is being needlessly public about it.

https://twitter.com/itsandyburton/st...766321375?s=19

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Speaking of more young LOI players possibly going to England Crystal Palace are currently in negotiations with Shels over signing our centre-half Luke Browne who was on loan with Wexford during the 2nd half of last season
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiof View Post
    It was alright when Dundalk were taking all Derry's best players...
    Just returning the favour now.
    Was as much players from Derry rather at Dundlk than just Derry City FC. It was a point made often by Derry fans that if DCFC kept all their top local players they would be a seriously good side. We signed Duffy for a fee from Celtic for example. Paid a fee or McEleney to DCFC but also tto Oldham to bringing him back, Derry could have done the same no? Higgins was released by Derry before Dundalk signed him up. The club has now, belatedly for some players imo, brought them back in to the DCFC fold. The process has been very basic, sign them up from Dundalk mostly (as Dundalk are a shambles off the pitch) and for good messure throw in Kelly, Patching, Connolly, Dummigan and Hoban none of which are Derry City Football Club 'natives'.

That said, i wouldnt feel too bad about it as Rovers started making their breakthrough as an era defining side after bulking up on few Dundalk era defining players also, a head count of Gannon, Hoare, Finn, Cleary, Towell even Michael O'Connor. Its a real return to the old LoI merry go round and when clubs get a cash injetion they sign a bunch of the previous champions players - Dundalk have done it too, a number of the 88 double winning side were former Rovers players. Could this new period of an old trend of signing up a buch of former champions' teams be part of the reason why there is a bit of a stagnation of the standard of the league? Familiarity of squad members even in a change of shirt taking a bit of that determined edge off?

I dont think either side is built from the total blank canvass, small budget, and initial bunch of journeymen put together by Stephen Kenny as he put together one of, if not the finest League side of all time - finishing runners up in season 1 (Vinny Faherty...least said about his scoring record at Dundalk the better,,, was our marquee striker,, Marc Rossitor the best known defender signed, an unknown Gartland in defence, John Dillon, a maligned Chrish Shields from the McCaffery era).. and winners in season 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    As if it wasn't a miserable enough day for Dundalk, they've apparently hit a snag with trying to re-sign Nathan Shepperd and (presumably his representative?) Andy Burton is being needlessly public about it.

https://twitter.com/itsandyburton/st...766321375?s=19
    Andy misses the negotiation part of contract negotiations. Its a do as he asks or he becomes impetulant. His own players have reigned him in at times. On the other hand, there is a recurrent theme developing in Oriel soooo.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The LOI has never been in a better place as far as I'm concerned. The sign that seemingly average players are being picked up by League One and League Two clubs, and even First Division players going across and doing well, isn't a sign that the league is at it's weakest, it's arguably quite the opposite.

It's this nonsense "my club isn't doing amazing so the whole league is crap". It drives me mental reading it.
    This is why its a running gag tbh. It's a line usually trotted out in begrudgery - Drogheda fans gave it spades last decade comparing their league winning side to Dundalk. Last season though!! It was actually a contender - if any bang average side had been a little more consistant, like Dundalk, they were challanging for the league. Its always been acknowledged though that Rovers were only as good as they needed to be not just last season imo. If pushed they could have gone up gears. The problem with this is European season, unless you are competing on a knifeedge in the league, where a draw could have you in trouble (Dundalk/Cork kind of battles), well a sluggishness is carried in tp Europe. It was very apparent lst season, and we, as seeded sides, were prety awful. Derry is an honourable mention but again if they had een performing in the league they wouldnt have been on the wrong side of a penalty shoot out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Was as much players from Derry rather at Dundlk than just Derry City FC. It was a point made often by Derry fans that if DCFC kept all their top local players they would be a seriously good side. We signed Duffy for a fee from Celtic for example. Paid a fee or McEleney to DCFC but also tto Oldham to bringing him back, Derry could have done the same no? Higgins was released by Derry before Dundalk signed him up. The club has now, belatedly for some players imo, brought them back in to the DCFC fold. The process has been very basic, sign them up from Dundalk mostly (as Dundalk are a shambles off the pitch) and for good messure throw in Kelly, Patching, Connolly, Dummigan and Hoban none of which are Derry City Football Club 'natives'.

That said, i wouldnt feel too bad about it as Rovers started making their breakthrough as an era defining side after bulking up on few Dundalk era defining players also, a head count of Gannon, Hoare, Finn, Cleary, Towell even Michael O'Connor. Its a real return to the old LoI merry go round and when clubs get a cash injetion they sign a bunch of the previous champions players - Dundalk have done it too, a number of the 88 double winning side were former Rovers players. Could this new period of an old trend of signing up a buch of former champions' teams be part of the reason why there is a bit of a stagnation of the standard of the league? Familiarity of squad members even in a change of shirt taking a bit of that determined edge off?

I dont think either side is built from the total blank canvass, small budget, and initial bunch of journeymen put together by Stephen Kenny as he put together one of, if not the finest League side of all time - finishing runners up in season 1 (Vinny Faherty...least said about his scoring record at Dundalk the better,,, was our marquee striker,, Marc Rossitor the best known defender signed, an unknown Gartland in defence, John Dillon, a maligned Chrish Shields from the McCaffery era).. and winners in season 2.
    Not sure about that narrative. Finn was the only signing of any real importance early on. Cleary and Towell were long gone from Dundalk by the time they arrived after the first title was already won. it was hardly a case of Rovers going to the previous champions and taking the core all at once. Ex-Dundalk players aren't what won us titles.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Does anyone know how many of Rovers 2024 squad have won all of the four in a row titles?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    Does anyone know how many of Rovers 2024 squad have won all of the four in a row titles?
    Looks like 9. Lopes, Grace, Watts, Greene, Burke, Kavanagh, O'Neill, Gaffney, Farrugia
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Add in Finn and Manus who while they won't be 24 squad members did win all 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Actually Leon pohls was there for all 4 but basically was on the bench

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

2 points on youth players.

1. I think we will see cycles of great young players both in the league and at specific clubs. I think that's just the nature of player development. You might have a great group one year and an average one the next. A few years ago Bohs had an U19 team with Moylan, Tierney, Devoy, Lyons, Kirk, and Ferguson probably some others I'm forgetting as well. Pats more recently seen to have a very good group coming through.

2. Unfortunately because the LOI underage teams end at u19 you will have a situation where some players age out of the underage section but just aren't ready for Premier division minutes. That appears to be the case with Moylan and Bohs. I'm sure every club has similar enough stories. I don't think an u21 league is the solution as I think one of the key selling points for a lot of young players from the LOI to the UK is that they have played a significant amount of senior minutes and know how to act within a team that is playing for real stakes ie winning leagues, avoiding relegation getting Europe or promotion. Maybe loans to first division teams can solve this but you would also want to have the players on longer term contracts for that.

18. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Dan McDonnell confirming today that Rovers turned down €50k from Bohs for Sean Hoare. Madness, from both sides. Also, regarding earlier posts in this thread, he confirms the inter LOI transfer record remains Drogheda paying €80k for Zayed.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Spending 50k on Sean Hoare sounds a bit desperate,surprised Rovers didn’t snap their hand off,he’s their 4th best CB in my opinion…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Spending 50k on Sean Hoare sounds a bit desperate,surprised Rovers didn’t snap their hand off,he’s their 4th best CB in my opinion…..
    Not worth it money wise for Shams trying to replace him really. 50k is not a huge amount for them I'd imagine. Most other clubs it would be a different story

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Not worth it money wise for Shams trying to replace him really. 50k is not a huge amount for them I'd imagine. Most other clubs it would be a different story
    From what I have heard the only reason they turned it down was they needed cover for Lopes when he goes to AFCON. How true that is is up for debate but from a Bohs perspective after adding Cornwall and potentially signing Carroll it could end up being a blessing in disguise as both would probably be on similar wages to Haore if not a bit less and would come or came with no transfer fee.

Page 45 of 103 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast