0 Posts

When is the squad for the french game

announced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    it alread is

Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes); Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Sebastien Squillaci (Monaco), Lilian Thuram (Juventus), Jonathan Zebina (Juventus); Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Jerome Rothen (Paris St Germain), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid); Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Ludovic Giuly (Barcelona), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Florent Malouda (Lyon), Sylvain Wiltord (Lyon).

no Pires

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well i already knew that!!
    was talking about our squad for that game! thanks though!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    should be out this evening or tomorrow, probably just waiting in case of injuries this weekend
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    I don't think there are any injuries from yesterday's games.

Duff played well, no sign of Robbie & Andy Reid played very well from what I saw of the highlights, Kelly had a decent game at LEFT BACK for Spurs and Steven Reid put in some great tackles for Blackburn.

Breen had a bit of a mare for Sunderland. Elliott did OK. Kav played 70 mins for Wigan & was replaced by Mahon who hit the post. Dunne & O'Brien both played 90 in City vs. Pompey. Clinton got 15 mins & got an assist. Paddy Kenny & Alan Quinn both played for Sheffield United who won 2-1. Quinn was fouled for their winning goal (penaly) & was subbed straight after. Not sure if injured but hardly a catastrophe. Cunningham played in Brun's 3-2 win at WBA. Connolly & McCarthy both played in a 2-0 defeat by Luton.

Did anyone see the Super Cup Final? I heard Finnan played RHM but was subbed after 70 mins. Any clues in his performance there? Personally I'd play Reid & Duff but that's another debate. Kilbane played for Everton at Fulham

MUFC at Newcastle today. Presumably Keane, O'Shea, Given & Carr all involved. Are Charlton playing today (Matt Holland)?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I don't think there are any injuries from yesterday's games.
    Duff played well, no sign of Robbie & Andy Reid played very well from what I saw of the highlights, Kelly had a decent game at LEFT BACK for Spurs and Steven Reid put in some great tackles for Blackburn.
    Was at the game, £60 a ticket and the ref killed the match after 25 mins by sending Mido off.

Duff played well, full of running
    Ried - Played well in patches
    Kelly playing at left back got a bit of a roasting by Wright-Phillips in the 2nd half.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    No sign of Holland for Charlton today, game is live on the net on pplive if anyones interested, no Irish playing though.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler
    should be out this evening or tomorrow, probably just waiting in case of injuries this weekend
    12 noon tomorrow (Monday 29th) at Citywest Hotel
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I really hate Martin Jol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    Don't worry Robbie will get his chance now that Mido will be banned for 3 games. Unless of course he buys one of the 3 strikers they have been linked with over the last few days.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Yea I though Andy Reid played well for Spurs, much better than the
    ratings I saw for him, obviously I only say the high lights but he put some
    dangerous balls into the box, a bit of a dribble and along crossfield pass,
    he also put in a real strong tackle against Wright-Phillips for a ball I thouogh
    he was second favourite to get. He also got yellow carded for a bit of
    decent (justified in my opinon as he didn't do anything wrong and did well
    to get control of a difficult ball and was justifiably upset when the ref
    pulled him up. I thouoght Kelly did OK too but I didn't see much of him.
    Not sure about Duffs goal might have been a bit lucky but then again he
    did well to get the ball goall bound at all as it was behind him.

Anyway as far as I can see there are no injuries, apart from the collar bone
    (and maybe ribs) I broke last weekend when I fell off my bike
    Mind you I doubt I would have been called up anyway

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    There's no reason to hate Jol. His job is to get the best out of the Spurs squad he has. It's up to Robbie to prove he's better striker than Defoe, as that's who he's directly competing with, Mido is more of the support striker.
    Defoe isn't exactly head and shouolders ahead of Keane, but in all fairness he has been doing enough to shade it all this year. Jol sees this and goes with him.

It would be great if Robbie was playing regularly, but he'll probably have to go somewhere else to get that. Personally I'd like to see him up his game enouogh to prove he's the deserviing starting striker at Spurs. It is a bit of a catch 22 as he seems like the type of player that needs playing time to get into a rhythm.

All in all I'm a little dissapointed that Robbie hasn't quite lived up to the hype of a few years ago. He may be our top goalscorer, but the lion's share of those goals have been in freindlies and against the weaker teams in WC and EC Qing. He invaribly does not score against the top sides with it counts. The only exceptions I can thinnk of are against Germany in Japorea '02 and against Holland in WC '02 qualifying. In all seriousness that's a poor record against top sides for a top striker. He very rarely, if ever, scores against the top sides in the Premiership as well.
    I'd love for him to prove me wrong against the French, but I think Irish supporters tend to hold him in higher esteem than he deserves.
    Granted he is the best we have, so I suppose we have to make do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i know its only one goal but arent you forgetting a certain penalty against spain in rather important game against spain 3 years ago. critisize him all you like but he is the best we have ever had up front and doesnt look like anything better is coming along anytime soon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    All I know or care about right now is the fact that he's gotten a handful of minutes since the Premiership started, in the few games before the biggest match in Irish soccer since Spain '02. It's sickening.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour
    Yea I though Andy Reid played well for Spurs, much better than the
    ratings I saw for him
    I am glad of that because I only saw the goals. In the lead up for Chelsea's 2nd, Andy could be seen scratching his nose looking a bit disinterested and decided to take a few steps to the centre circle while just behind him a pass was played through the space he had just vacated towards Phillips who centered to Duff.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Spurs rumoured to be looking at an Italian striker & another two midfielders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Spurs rumoured to be looking at an Italian striker & another two midfielders.
    That striker is from Livorno (sp?) and was supposed to have agreed terms last night according to Sky Sports News

At this rate, Spurs are going to have more midfielders than most squad sizes!!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcán Masaya

All in all I'm a little dissapointed that Robbie hasn't quite lived up to the hype of a few years ago. He may be our top goalscorer, but the lion's share of those goals have been in freindlies and against the weaker teams in WC and EC Qing. He invaribly does not score against the top sides with it counts. The only exceptions I can thinnk of are against Germany in Japorea '02 and against Holland in WC '02 qualifying. In all seriousness that's a poor record against top sides for a top striker. He very rarely, if ever, scores against the top sides in the Premiership as well.
    I'd love for him to prove me wrong against the French, but I think Irish supporters tend to hold him in higher esteem than he deserves.
    Granted he is the best we have, so I suppose we have to make do.
    He also scored against Yugoslavia and Turkey. I think that if you looked at the intl. record of most strikers in terms of who they had scored against you would find that in nearly all cases the majority of their goals would have come against weak sides. If we are involved in a group comprised of 6 or 7 teams there will generally be 2 or maybe three teams including us competing for top spot so the remaining 3 or 4 teams in the group would be weaker so to me anyway it makes perfect sense that more of his goals would have come against inferior opposition.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not sure Robbie's lack of match practice will be that much of a handicap, for Japorea 2002 he had barely played for Leeds all season but scored several times in friendlies in the run up to the world cup and then three goals in four games in the tournament proper- so it's a bit harsh to say he doesn't score when it counts!
    No injuries for the France game will be a massive boost, our strongest XI is a match for any other team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Robbie Keane was injured for the 1st game of the season and only started training on the Thursday before the Middlesbrough game. Therefore he was only likely to start from the bench for that game as Defoe had more match fitness and had scored in the 1st game. Keane came on in the 2nd half and looked really sharp. He then started the next game and I think he played the whole game. On Saturday he started on the bench and would have probably come on in the 2nd half but Mido was sent off in the 1st. I dont think Martin Jol is been unfair to him although its not ideal preparation for the French game, Robbie did get injured so what can you do.
    In Trap we trust