Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Play-offs 2023.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Next season Premier Division will be a nailbiter outside a top 3 or 4 with a number of clubs potentially at risk of a relegation battle with no club looking like obvious basement dwellers to save any mediocrity above.
    Since Shelbourne were promoted in 2021, the top 8 have been unchanged for the last two seasons. 5th and 6th weren't far off 4th this year.
    Galway and Waterford have a huge challenge ahead of them to get into the top 8 first. Drogheda and Sligo have a huge challenge to try and get into the top 6 and now will have Galway and Waterford to contend with.
    It could be the same 6 clubs again battling for the top 4 next year. 4 clubs then battling for the top 8. Waterford couldn't keep up with Galway this year. They can't afford a slow start next year or it'll be a long season trying to qualify for another promotion-relegation playoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Outside of Rovers, Derry, Pats and maybe Shels if they keep improving then its dog eat dog imo. We dont know what shape Dundalk will be in. Bohs will most likely be fine but as mentioned before Devine's teams tend to regress after early progress but can strengthen the squad sufficiently to overcome any limitations of coaching. We will have to wait and see how Drogheda's new owners wll do business but there are no rumblings of much change on going FT yet. Sligo have an awful lot to do and keeping Russell in place is a gamble, sticking could work if he is genuinely building but I think they should have been better this season, Cork got within spitting distance but didnt kick on when it looked like Sligo were in freefall. That said I dont think Sligo would have lost the play-off to Waterford. Then we have the 2 promoted sides, Galway are well backed financially, Horgan is an old warhorse if the going gets rough. Waterford will know what is needed under Long who I rate highly as a manager especially when working on a limited budget and building a solid if unspectacular side.

Currently i'd be very worried for Dundalk but of course that could change - tbh in LoI over the years ive been a supporter a lot can change one season to the next. There has been some consistency the last couple of season for sure but I dont think its a reliable indicator of things especially in a 10 team league. Its been a while since there hasnt been stand out 10/9th level sides that were the safety nets for other not being particularly good. Time will tell but I think the 2 promoted sides are better equipped for the premier division than others in recent seasons. The dreaded rut and a run of losses and any side will be looking over their shoulder in 2024.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 11/11/2023 at 4:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Great to finally win a play-off final and be looking forward to Premier division football next season. It would have been tough to take another playoff defeat. Waterford were the better team on the night. We got a couple of breaks with the ball hitting a divot when a Cork player seemed certain to score with 10 minutes to go in normal time but overall deserved win.
    I thought the crowd of over 4000 was decent with Waterford having a bigger support there. I know some Cork fans weren't happy with it being in Dublin on a Friday night. Saw a few neutrals wearing their club colours too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Comerisations to Cork but Waterford back up is great, a good night out after the game.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789