Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 2729

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    It's a private group. wanna enlighten us what was said and why you're happy with it?

absolutely flabbergasted. chap was basically Lars Lagerback's assistant during Iceland's success in Euro 2016.

International record:

Copa America with Jamaica, 3 games, 0 points losing to Venezuela, Ecuador and Mexico
    World Cup with Icekand, 3 games, 1 point

There's more nuance (their point was against Argentina, they did qualify as second seed. s to the world cup etc etc.) - but essentially Iceland played a form of Tony Pulis / Sam Allerdichi football, Delap style throws to a big frontman and the odd worldie from Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Worth noting, Sigurdsson was better than any player we currently have. As for Jamaica, Leon Bailey is also better than our best player (they also have Michail Antonio, Demarai Gray and Bobby Decordova Reid, not to mention the mighty Ethon Pinnock!)
    Worth noting that 1 player doesnt make a team, its 11 and that Bailey and Sigurdsson cant defend and their job isn't to score goals which is an issue.

Good to see that he hasn't even got in the door yet and we are already making excuses to accept mediocrity before a ball is even kicked.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,377 Posts
    It's a private group. wanna enlighten us what was said and why you're happy with it?

absolutely flabbergasted. chap was basically Lars Lagerback's assistant during Iceland's success in Euro 2016.

International record:

Copa America with Jamaica, 3 games, 0 points losing to Venezuela, Ecuador and Mexico
    World Cup with Icekand, 3 games, 1 point

There's more nuance (their point was against Argentina, they did qualify as second seed. s to the world cup etc etc.) - but essentially Iceland played a form of Tony Pulis / Sam Allerdichi football, Delap style throws to a big frontman and the odd worldie from Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Worth noting, Sigurdsson was better than any player we currently have. As for Jamaica, Leon Bailey is also better than our best player (they also have Michail Antonio, Demarai Gray and Bobby Decordova Reid, not to mention the mighty Ethon Pinnock!)
    Club record - knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Pat's in 2011

Also got to the quarters of Euro 2016 - I know he was joint manager at the time and I don't know how that really broke down. But it's worth a mention for a side like Iceland.

I feel it's about as good as we could expect. Someone with experience and with flaws. I'm certainly open to giving it a good chance.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,923 Posts
    We in Iceland took pity upon your tortured process, your trials and tribulations and sent our only begotten senior manager to show you the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Not particularly outraged or depressed by that appointment, which is about as positive as I could have expected.

He's done more than Carsley and O'Shea in the game at senior level. About the same as Sagnol, if not more. Better international record, and younger than Hughton. Not Lennon or either of the Keanes, so no media circus. He qualified Iceland out of a group containing Croatia, Turkey and Ukraine for the 2018 WC, which is a fine achievement. Jamaica performed around what you'd expect - they had a decent competitive record against teams at their level in CONCACAF - getting results against USA and Mexico, beating the likes of Canada, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, etc. The Copa America is generally a huge step up for the CONCACAF teams, so I wouldn't read too much into the last month.

And for what it's worth, his Iceland team outclassed us in a friendly under MON in 2017.

With the pay on offer, and the fact that it's a very difficult job to turn this team around, I don't see how we could have attracted a bigger name or a more proven coach. It was either a washed-up 'proper football man' or a total left-field appointment, so here we are. We'll see how he goes in September.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We in Iceland took pity upon your tortured process, your trials and tribulations and sent our only begotten senior manager to show you the way.
    What’s your honest opinion on him Geysir?

Re Stu: My understanding was the Lagerbeck was still calling the shots in 2016 - but I’m sure Geysir can provide far more insight

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Worth noting that 1 player doesnt make a team, its 11 and that Bailey and Sigurdsson cant defend and their job isn't to score goals which is an issue.

Good to see that he hasn't even got in the door yet and we are already making excuses to accept mediocrity before a ball is even kicked.
    Probably even more woerth noting that Bailey did a Keano and ****ed off from the Copa America without a ball being kicked. It hardly seems fair to judge him on the ability of a player who wasn't even there.

He won what was probably the toughest group in Europe to qualify for the World Cup in 2018 with an Iceland squad that was solid at best.

Iceland, Croatia, Ukraine Turkey, Finland, Kosovo.

Didn't do much in the finals but after getting a group with Argentina, Croatia and Nigeria the single point they picked up was probably par for the course.

Win percentage of 43.75% as a joint manager and 44.00% on his own with Iceland.

He is a hell of a lot more qualified for the job than some previous incumbants, or indeed some of the other names that have been mentioned.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah wiki...
    Best of luck Eminence Grise!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Whatever about Willy Sagnol, it can't be denied that HH has fascist links.
    Says Stuttgart 88!

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Really happy with this appointment.

He has proven international quality which is what I wanted and until a few hours ago could only dream of.

He may have had one or two very good players with Iceland, but I feel that our current team is better than what he had in most positions. That is what excites me - a manager who can make the most of players and especially the very good ones and negate the deficiencies by a game plan and tactics.

It's a real shame that he hasn't got the last few games and his first game is England, but if he can get us 2nd in the group and a decent points total, we have a chance of a playoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    262 Posts
    As for Jamaica, Leon Bailey is also better than our best player (they also have Michail Antonio, Demarai Gray and Bobby Decordova Reid, not to mention the mighty Ethon Pinnock!)
    Oi! The mighty Ethan Pinnock was the standout player in Brentford's defence last season, which is why he won the Supporters' POTY award. Super player, who I'd rate at least as good as any of those you mention, not least for his consistency.

Beyond that, I don't know a thing about Jamaica, or their (former) Manager, so it will be interesting to see how the new guy does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/531...-hallgrimsson/

Should probably get this out of the way since it'll surface sooner or later anyway.
    This is definitely not a good look.

Otherwise, I think he's a fine appointment especially vs other options, lets hope it works out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    Says Stuttgart 88!
    I've been found out after all these years!

16. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Probably even more woerth noting that Bailey did a Keano and ****ed off from the Copa America without a ball being kicked. It hardly seems fair to judge him on the ability of a player who wasn't even there.

He won what was probably the toughest group in Europe to qualify for the World Cup in 2018 with an Iceland squad that was solid at best.

Iceland, Croatia, Ukraine Turkey, Finland, Kosovo.

Didn't do much in the finals but after getting a group with Argentina, Croatia and Nigeria the single point they picked up was probably par for the course.

Win percentage of 43.75% as a joint manager and 44.00% on his own with Iceland.

He is a hell of a lot more qualified for the job than some previous incumbants, or indeed some of the other names that have been mentioned.
    That is true plus the fact we seem to always just pick 1 player a team has and claim that's the reason why we'll still be crap even with him in charge.

Honestly up until the Euros if you offered me him or Sagnol I actually may have taken him because it is worth noting with Sagnol that while Georgia did great at the Euros they actually havent been that great in qualifiers or friendlies which makes me question is this a one off and is Sagnol as really the man we wanted.

Honestly considering the fear of who we could get, like O'Shea for instance, I think its a great appointment. A manager not too old plus with international experience so shouldn't be too overawed by the experience.

I'm also delight for the likes of McClean who desperately wanted O'Shea just so they could weasel their way back into the set up get what they deserve, absolute disgrace to Ireland just like the rest of the former internationals backing him who only care about their own interests and not Irish football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    A dentist becomes Ireland manager you can't make that up!!

I have his jersey somewhere from his Hottur days. Got find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    [QUOTE=Demesne Lad;2192853]
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Better get these out of the way today....

"Well, that was like pulling teeth."[/QUOTE

We all hope his tenure will be crowned with success.
    Will he stop the decay in the team, or will he only end up filling a gap until someone else is appointed ?
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Oi! The mighty Ethan Pinnock was the standout player in Brentford's defence last season, which is why he won the Supporters' POTY award. Super player, who I'd rate at least as good as any of those you mention, not least for his consistency.

Beyond that, I don't know a thing about Jamaica, or their (former) Manager, so it will be interesting to see how the new guy does.
    That wasn't really a sarcastic quote. I really like Pinnock... Thought the injury he got really hurt Brentford and think he's an underrated footballer

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    619 Posts
    I'm also delight for the likes of McClean who desperately wanted O'Shea just so they could weasel their way back into the set up get what they deserve, absolute disgrace to Ireland just like the rest of the former internationals backing him who only care about their own interests and not Irish football.
    McClean definitely fits the playing style. Wouldn't be too shocked to see HH offer him a way back in...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    That is true plus the fact we seem to always just pick 1 player a team has and claim that's the reason why we'll still be crap even with him in charge.

Honestly up until the Euros if you offered me him or Sagnol I actually may have taken him because it is worth noting with Sagnol that while Georgia did great at the Euros they actually havent been that great in qualifiers or friendlies which makes me question is this a one off and is Sagnol as really the man we wanted.

Honestly considering the fear of who we could get, like O'Shea for instance, I think its a great appointment. A manager not too old plus with international experience so shouldn't be too overawed by the experience.

I have no problem in players still thinking they can play at a higher level than they can - that's on a manager to not pick them. I do have a problem with how he spoke about Kenny. I didn't rate Kenny at all, but he was very decent to McClean and for him to turn on him, shows his personality.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    933 Posts
    Happy with the appointment overall. I like that its an "outside the box" appointment and not just some guy whos been on the english football merri-go-round for 20 years. The job he did with Iceland was excellent, whether he or Lagerback get more credit I dont know but the 2018 WC qualification would suggest that he wasnt without credit. Elatedscum saying that he plays extremely direct football would concern me, but I do have memories of those Iceland teams being excellent to watch so I guess we'll wait and see.

Theres no doubt he took the money to go work in Qatar after the Iceland success and I think thats fair enough. He cashed in on his success and I wouldnt really care what his record was in that league.

His record with Jamacia is fairly mixed I would say, very poor Copa recently but good in their Nations League where they beat Canada before being knocked out by the US. I do remember reading about some issues within the Jamacia federation and the players before the Cope so maybe there was some mitigating circumstances there.

There was no perfect appointment. Obviously Carsley was my favorite but even he was a risk. My more recent favorite would have been Robbie and he brings his own PR issues. This is a clean slate for a guy, no one has any preconceived notions of what to expect from him. His backroom team will be interesting, I hope we move on from JOS. Id love to see Brian Barry Murphy come in with him, but that might be a pipedream.

At least the saga is over and hes not a known racist.... those are 2 postives to get started with anyways!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    771 Posts
    Interesting appointment. It's dragged on so long that I'd nearly have taken any vaguely plausible candidate at this stage and there are one or two valid quibbles raised above, but he's in place now so he gets my support unconditionally for a bit. Let's see what he can do.
    You can't spell failure without FAI