Page 76 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2729

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Israeli season runs until the end of May. League splits after the regular reason with the top 6 playing each other twice again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Relieved to know I was incorrect there. Thanks for clarifying!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    If Robbie was managing in Iceland rather than Israel would ye be more inclined to give him credit for the job hes done this season. Even if you want to dismiss the league, he has his team in knockout stages of europe against Olympiakos this Thursday too. Hes done incredibly well for a 1st season in management.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Have to say, whatever happens from here, the Irish football press pack - rarely the most on the ball it must be said - have been played for absolute fools throughout this. Carsley must have been ruled in and ruled out about three times each now, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's another spin round the houses still to come with him. We've been told that it's going to be Lennon, Coleman and Bilic at different points, possibly Clement too. They've also linked Poyet, Barry and Rowett with the job at various stages too. And now the FAI are basically telling them that they've got their man, and between them the journos still can't get a decent lead on who it actually is. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being literally none of the names they've thrown out so far.
    Agree completely. I think only Gavin Cooney and Dan McDonnell come out with any credit. Both have been willing to say all along that they havent got a clue

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    If Robbie was managing in Iceland rather than Israel would ye be more inclined to give him credit for the job hes done this season. Even if you want to dismiss the league, he has his team in knockout stages of europe against Olympiakos this Thursday too. Hes done incredibly well for a 1st season in management.
    Not the best example to use when the Icelandic league is ranked below the LOI and Faroe Islands league. Only ranked one place above the NI league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Not the best example to use when the Icelandic league is ranked below the LOI and Faroe Islands league. Only ranked one place above the NI league.
    I picked it coz it began with I more than anything else

I just don't think people want to give him credit because it's Israel, and I get that. We can all agree without getting into politics that what's going on there is beyond disgusting. I just think if Robbie was doing this well in any other league he'd be getting major plaudits

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Without getting too much into politics. He’s clearly done well from a footballing perspective, not enough to warrant getting the Ireland job this early but he’s done well. But it’s a long way from demonstrating he can do it at that level…

I said when he took the job that I didn’t think it was right to take a job there (and that was before October 7th). So I would be very against him taking over now.

I also think there’s a chance that the likes of paddy mccarthy etc are the back room team for the next manager but they’re starting now…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Without getting too much into politics. He’s clearly done well from a footballing perspective, not enough to warrant getting the Ireland job this early but he’s done well. But it’s a long way from demonstrating he can do it at that level…

I said when he took the job that I didn’t think it was right to take a job there (and that was before October 7th). So I would be very against him taking over now.

I also think there’s a chance that the likes of paddy mccarthy etc are the back room team for the next manager but they’re starting now…
    I agree that the back room for these games are it going forward most likely, would make sense if everything is set up.

And for the most part I'd agree that it's probably too soon for Robbie but when we are talking up Anthony Barry, who has even less experience, Robbie should be a bigger part of the debate IMO.

In an ideal world Robbie wins the league this season and moves on to a different country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    It's the 16th ranked league in Europe. Not great, not terrible. I think I've been giving him exactly the right amount of credit.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's the 16th ranked league in Europe. Not great, not terrible. I think I've been giving him exactly the right amount of credit.
    Should he not get extra credit for getting his team to this stage of Europe? Finished ahead of a Belgian team in his group that would be regarded as a much stronger league? If he beats Olympiakos should he get more credit?

Personally I think his achievements are being slightly ignored because we don't like that he took the FAI money and he took a job in Israel.

We don't have too many managers doing well in world football, I just think it's a bit of a shame that Robbie is not being talked about more

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Agree completely. I think only Gavin Cooney and Dan McDonnell come out with any credit. Both have been willing to say all along that they havent got a clue
    Cooney retweeting the Sneyd piece in a way that looks like he is backing it: https://twitter.com/gcooney93/status...PvBkVZouQ&s=19

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    Worst part of all this is that there are 3+ weeks of this.

Assuming Sneyd has a bang on source, "not expected to take" as a headline is hardly an emphatic rule out of Carsley. Does the article say who doesn't expect him to take it?

I'm sure there are plenty self-assured Englishmen in the FA who would be more than willing to share their opinion that they would never expect anyone sane to leave a paying job at the home of football to take over the Eire senior team.

This is going to run and run.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

Assuming Sneyd has a bang on source, "not expected to take" as a headline is hardly an emphatic rule out of Carsley. Does the article say who doesn't expect him to take it?

I'm sure there are plenty self-assured Englishmen in the FA who would be more than willing to share their opinion that they would never expect anyone sane to leave a paying job at the home of football to take over the Eire senior team.

I'm assuming Carsley will have a press conference or 2 in the run up to the game on the 22nd. I would hope he's asked directly if he's planning on staying or leaving. If he diverts questions instead of saying "I'm absolutely staying" then we should know.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

Could go down to the wire and deliver another massive shock, a la Big Jack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Should he not get extra credit for getting his team to this stage of Europe? Finished ahead of a Belgian team in his group that would be regarded as a much stronger league? If he beats Olympiakos should he get more credit?

Personally I think his achievements are being slightly ignored because we don't like that he took the FAI money and he took a job in Israel.

We don't have too many managers doing well in world football, I just think it's a bit of a shame that Robbie is not being talked about more
    It's a good result. It doesn't carry a huge amount of weight in isolation, but hopefully it's part of a bigger trend. It may speak to your point though that I hadn't heard about it until your second last post.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Could go down to the wire and deliver another massive shock, a la Big Jack.
    Big Sam it is so ! ! !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Big Sam it is so ! ! !
    Hopefully not, mo chara geal. On a tidy little junket, two FAI officials toured Britain in their search to replace Eoin Hand. Some big-name candidates were briefed. What could possibly go wrong? Well, Jack got the job.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    " Put Em Under Pressure ! "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...eland-manager/

Kerr saying he doesnt expect it to be Carsley, but he "could be wrong".

Its beyond stupid at this point. Let it just f'ing end one way or another!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...eland-manager/

Kerr saying he doesnt expect it to be Carsley, but he "could be wrong".

Its beyond stupid at this point. Let it just f'ing end one way or another!
    Our problem is we are relying on the FAI, who are unreliable