Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2729

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Why don't we see how it plays out before being negative on it and calling people puppets etc.

No idea what you are talking about in regards to Kilbane circus. I think I'm right in how I think this is playing out and that it's all lining up to be Carsley. If I'm wrong I'm gonna look pretty stupid but C'est La Vie.

Again, Canham did say that the backroom team would be a collaboration. This means that everyone will have to come to an agreement on it. I'm not sure how that makes anyone a puppet, but if you need to get angry so you have something to complain about for the 4 years of his contract that's your own thing
    The puppet comment was a hypothetical and calling me angry is ridiculous. The post, not the poster.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Why don't we see how it plays out before being negative on it and calling people puppets etc.
    Agreed, it's only shambolic if it ends shambolically. If the scenario is they've identified their man, he's a good candidate and are sorting out technicalities or awaiting his availability then I don't see how it's a flawed process. It'd be shambolic if they just pandered to the mobs on social media demanding an appointment, any appointment. I'd rather they waited to make the right decision than rushed into a bad one. Thatn may not be what's happening but let's see. In fairness, the lack of any leaks from Abbotstown is actually quite impressive.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Kerr hasn't been a coach since stepping down from the Faroes in 2011. I'd say at least a third of the squad don't remember his time in charge of the national side - Evan Ferguson had just turned 12 months old when his reign ended!
    What's he going to bring to the setup, even on a temporary basis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I'd be shocked if Carsley was cajoled into a management team not of his own selection. Kerr, on paper, may look a reasonable choice for the academy but he's a polarising, dour figure - exactly what we don't need. Carsley having an FAI-selected backroom would label him weak and compromised from the get-go. I hope it's not true.
    Stephen Kenny didn't accept Robbie Keane into his management team and it ended up with Robbie sitting on his hole and getting paid for it. surely they won't make that mistake again. surely?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts
    Also hoping that all this means that Carsley has the job but wanted to get the U21 stuff out of the way first. Hope has served me well over the years as an Ireland fan. Oh, wait...

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kerr hasn't been a coach since stepping down from the Faroes in 2011. I'd say at least a third of the squad don't remember his time in charge of the national side - Evan Ferguson had just turned 12 months old when his reign ended!
    What's he going to bring to the setup, even on a temporary basis?
    He can entertain the squad with his witty Dublin humour (it's not witty) and stories. Talk about jobs for the boys. Lisa Fallon would offer you more. Least she goes in-depth with her analysis when doing commentary or being a pundit. Also worked as a coach and an analyst for teams lately.
    Last edited by JR89; 01/03/2024 at 10:35 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Stephen Kenny didn't accept Robbie Keane into his management team and it ended up with Robbie sitting on his hole and getting paid for it. surely they won't make that mistake again. surely?
    Fair enough Shirley ( Temple ) (wink)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    looks like kerr and glenn whelan to be involved...
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...707249255.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    This is becoming a sizeable backroom team for an interim appointment. Hmm ...

Hope they are working free as otherwise the budget is burst.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    This is becoming a sizeable backroom team for an interim appointment. Hmm ...

Hope they are working free as otherwise the budget is burst.
    Pretty sure Kerr critisised the size of Kennys back room team!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    looks like kerr and glenn whelan to be involved...
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...707249255.html
    What is the point of this for 2 games?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    March coaching ticket:

John O'Shea Head Coach.
    Paddy McCarthy Assistant Coach.
    Glen Whelan Assistant Coach.
    Rene Gilmartin Goalkeeper coach (steps up from U21s).
    Martin Doyle Analyst (steps up from U21s).

Stephen Rice and Damien Doyle still involved from the last set up as Analyst and Performance coach.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    It does seem like a bit of fuss is being made for a team that is nominally going to be in place for only two games.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    It does seem like a bit of fuss is being made for a team that is nominally going to be in place for only two games.
    Sure if they did well in the two games with only a basic set-up ~ ~ Some people might even say, you only need a basic set-up all of the time ! ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Little bit of irony in O'Shea bringing Kerr on board as one of a number of criticisms thrown at Kerr when he was manager was leaving it so long to cap O'Shea when he was a young lad turning heads playing regularly for Manchester United (when they were actually a top European side).

He might only be a technical advisor but as a major critic of Kenny and the way the media gave some space compared to Kerr's era, it puts his neck on the block to a small extent as the 'senior' element of the coaching team. He is still has a defence at all costs first nindset so will be interesting to see how individually and as a whole, how the team will set up and if there are changes to selection from the Kenny era.

Even if the FAI are struggling to replace SK, i'd rather see this interim solution than make a panic appointment. It would have been easier to just give Lennon the gig, you could probably have convinced an Allerdyce to sign up for Nations League with performance related extension, there are options but its seems to me that they are doing the right thing by taking the time to either get their main target or dig deeper and beyond the usual suspects. I dont think this is a Stan like experiment!!??

Its a long thread so maybe already discussed (let me know) but why would Poyet court the Irish job when at face value his Greek side is more likely to be successful. Has he seen the potential in the Irish side that was being rebuilt. Would he have been a good appointment rather then maybe just better than what preceeded him. Was he just looking to get back to a base close to a long term home in England, a platform to get back in to club management there eventually? He is well travelled, can be a good or bad thing - he isnt quite a Phillipe Troussier who was link to the Ireland job to replace Kerr I think, or maybe Staunton, or maybe every manager that was sacked prior to Trap, and maybe what was needed tbh as he was actually rated.....
    Last edited by Nesta99; 01/03/2024 at 1:58 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Little bit of irony in O'Shea bringing Kerr on board as one of a number of criticisms thrown at Kerr when he was manager was leaving it so long to cap O'Shea when he was a young lad turning heads playing regularly for Manchester United (when they were actually a top European side).

He might only be a technical advisor but as a major critic of Kenny and the way the media gave some space compared to Kerr's era, it puts his neck on the block to a small extent as the 'senior' element of the coaching team. He is still has a defence at all costs first nindset so will be interesting to see how individually and as a whole, how the team will set up and if there are changes to selection from the Kenny era.

Even if the FAI are struggling to replace SK, i'd rather see this interim solution than make a panic appointment. It would have been easier to just give Lennon the gig, you could probably have convinced an Allerdyce to sign up for Nations League with performance related extension, there are options but its seems to me that they are doing the right thing by taking the time to either get their main target or dig deeper and beyond the usual suspects. I dont think this is a Stan like experiment!!??

Its a long thread so maybe already discussed (let me know) but why would Poyet court the Irish job when at face value his Greek side is more likely to be successful. Has he seen the potential in the Irish side that was being rebuilt. Would he have been a good appointment rather then maybe just better than what preceeded him. Was he just looking to get back to a base close to a long term home in England, a platform to get back in to club management there eventually? He is well travelled, can be a good or bad thing - he isnt quite a Phillipe Troussier who was link to the Ireland job to replace Kerr I think, or maybe Staunton, or maybe every manager that was sacked prior to Trap, and maybe what was needed tbh as he was actually rated.....
    Regarding Poyet, it all comes down to money. He flirted with the Ireland job to try force the Greek to up his salary with a new contract.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Poyet never found a microphone he didn't like
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Poyet never found a microphone he didn't like
    It's why he's now fallen out publicly with his last three employers.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    It's why he's now fallen out publicly with his last three employers.
    Yeah. There's zero chance Poyet is our new manager. The guy has been publicly negotiating for a new contract with Greece. We've been told new manager will sign a 4 year contract in early April, if Greece qualify then that changes Poyet availability, so you couldn't make a statement like that.

I do hope that if this interim team is going to be new managers backroom staff that is communicated to the players. Otherwise this whole window is pointless
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Yeah. There's zero chance Poyet is our new manager. The guy has been publicly negotiating for a new contract with Greece. We've been told new manager will sign a 4 year contract in early April, if Greece qualify then that changes Poyet availability, so you couldn't make a statement like that.

I do hope that if this interim team is going to be new managers backroom staff that is communicated to the players. Otherwise this whole window is pointless
    Well he did say even if Greece qualify he won't be their manager after the playoffs. I'm hoping that actually happens and the Greek FA bring a new manager in rather than give Poyet the new contract he wants.