Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2508

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    We heard from Kilbane that he was negotiating. He probably drove a hard bargain and wanted some job security given that he's walking away from a good job.

This has convinced me 100% it’s Carsley. If they rollout Paul Clement at this stage I might cry real tears
    if they’ve actually got someone agreed, very likely it’s either Lee Carsley or Anthony Barry who is with Bayern till May, so pretty logical that he would feel he couldn’t take this camp but could do the one in June…

As always, small chance that they don’t have anyone agreed and they’re assuming it’ll get over the line in the next six weeks…

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    if they’ve actually got someone agreed, very likely it’s either Lee Carsley or Anthony Barry who is with Bayern till May, so pretty logical that he would feel he couldn’t take this camp but could do the one in June…

As always, small chance that they don’t have anyone agreed and they’re assuming it’ll get over the line in the next six weeks…
    No way it's Barry I think. I don't think they'd give him a 4 year contract and he's still not technically available. He's still employed by Portugal too and I can't see us negotiating a payoff before the Euros about to start
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    792 Posts
    The 42 reporting that the FAI have upped the budget to 700k a year, so about 280k extra for a two year deal or twice that for a four year deal.

I guess it was possible after all...
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Nobody said it wasn't possible to increase the budget (in fact, I covered that in my reply to SkStu), and nobody said the new manager should be paid the same as Kenny.

What we did say was (a) you don't set a budget based on the expectation that a new manager would drive a significant increase in ticket income and sponsorship (you mentioned €1m a year), (b) the FAI can absolutely have major financial issues akin to Leeds/Portsmouth/Rangers, (c) the FAI can't blithely say "Ah sure if we're wrong the taxpayer will bail us out" and (d) the "complexities of accounting" really do matter when setting a budget, though you were keen to dismiss them.

An increase from €560k (2019 appointment) to €700k (2024 appointment) isn't all that much either. Half of it is just inflation. It's still small fry compared to top English club salaries. It's not the "we can certainly stretch to a few hundred thousand more for a senior manager" you spoke about either.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 29/02/2024 at 7:25 AM.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The 42 reporting that the FAI have upped the budget to 700k a year, so about 280k extra for a two year deal or twice that for a four year deal.

It's only money.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Of course anything is possible with the FAI. Maybe Mr. Hill gave up his salary for it though and it won't impact other employees or initiatives.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Of course anything is possible with the FAI. Maybe Mr. Hill gave up his salary for it though and it won't impact other employees or initiatives.
    ~ lol ~

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Must be those extra 2,000 season tickets sold since last Friday and all the England corporate packages !

Still not convinced but hopefully its Carsley .... now long before the Carsley out thread ...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Wasn't the 700k salary talked about earlier this month when it was said about the hold up surrounding backroom staff. Pretty sure I saw it mentioned that the FAI were willing to pay Carsley the salary he wanted but the issue was backroom staff wages.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    I suppose if Brendan Rodgers was not at Celtic he would have been a candidate for the Republic of Ireland manager job ? !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

To find the extra money they just labeled it holiday pay

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Wasn't the 700k salary talked about earlier this month when it was said about the hold up surrounding backroom staff. Pretty sure I saw it mentioned that the FAI were willing to pay Carsley the salary he wanted but the issue was backroom staff wages.
    Maybe that's all that is meant by the 700k...that they accepted his backroom team? They'd hardly refuse him that and then come back and have to offer him more because other options didn't pan out right?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Lads I'm sure ye remember the article Kevin Kilbane wrote about Carlsey being in negotiations and a throw away bit at the end where he called for the return of Brian Kerr in some capacity in Carsleys team. Well....

https://www.instagram.com/p/C38paO6t...E1MWVjZGVmZQ==

I wouldn't normally share a social media post but the interesting bit for me is Kilbane himself in the comment section saying it's great news.

Carsley is a done deal, I'm convinced

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    I'd be shocked if Carsley was cajoled into a management team not of his own selection. Kerr, on paper, may look a reasonable choice for the academy but he's a polarising, dour figure - exactly what we don't need. Carsley having an FAI-selected backroom would label him weak and compromised from the get-go. I hope it's not true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    I'd very doubt he'd take a full team put on him, but there could be compromise and negotiations for that could have taken a while. I'd imagine based on Kilbane comments that Kerr was Carsleys idea

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    The Kerr thing is dramatic enough isn't it? How many times in the last 19 years has he been touted for a role and nothing come of it? He's hardly just broken that duck with a month long role?

The Kilbane article is interesting too.

If I'm Carsley and I have a mandate to over see the underage tiers to some extent too, in the context of the fact that I've been brought up in and currently work in the English football system but the Brexit impact on lads 18 under then I'm needing some serious LOI nous on my team somewhere. Kerr fits.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Is there any possibility that O'Shea would feature on a Carsley ticket? Or McCarthy too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Is there any possibility that O'Shea would feature on a Carsley ticket? Or McCarthy too?
    If I was guessing I'd say O'Shea is the FAI man. Canham did say that the FAI would have a say. I'd imagine if it was happening though O'Shea and Carsley would have had a get together before things were agreed. That could have been big reason for delay, along with Carsley wanting Kerr, which would have been controversial enough.

McCarthy could have been either really. I don't know if him and Carsley have had any interactions in the past.

I personally don't like Kerr. I don't like how bitter he's become on tv and there's been other things in recent years that have soured me on him too. But as you say, with the LOI connection I can see why role for him makes sense

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    So a tongue-wag between two or three blokes who have never worked together is the culmination of this shambolic recruitment saga? A prepared candidate has his team sorted. Whatever about Kerr, if it transpires O'Shea and/or McCarthy are forced on an appointed Carsley then he's a puppet.

He wouldn't agree to it and I'm already regretting contributing to this Kilbane-knows-all circus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    So a tongue-wag between two or three blokes who have never worked together is the culmination of this shambolic recruitment saga? A prepared candidate has his team sorted. Whatever about Kerr, if it transpires O'Shea and/or McCarthy are forced on an appointed Carsley then he's a puppet.

He wouldn't agree to it and I'm already regretting contributing to this Kilbane-knows-all circus.
    Why don't we see how it plays out before being negative on it and calling people puppets etc.

No idea what you are talking about in regards to Kilbane circus. I think I'm right in how I think this is playing out and that it's all lining up to be Carsley. If I'm wrong I'm gonna look pretty stupid but C'est La Vie.

Again, Canham did say that the backroom team would be a collaboration. This means that everyone will have to come to an agreement on it. I'm not sure how that makes anyone a puppet, but if you need to get angry so you have something to complain about for the 4 years of his contract that's your own thing

25. Thanks From: