Page 64 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2509

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Maybe it’s time for the FAI to bite the bullet and advertise on the open market and we end up where we end up !

This search has deflated me. If you were doing a SWOT analysis what are the actual selling points of the job ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I dont know why it would be 4 games. Plenty of time to get manager in place between March and June..... but in fairness theyve also had plenty of time since September and we all knew Kenny was done. Its a joke that we are even talking about a potential interim at this stage when they have had so long to get this done.
    My thinking is if they're actually close then they'll only need an interim for March so Crawford gets it. Why go outside the association if you're confident that a new manager will be in place by then.

While there's still plenty of time between March and June if they go outside the FAI for an interim they'll have one eye on June's games too imo. That if they fail to appoint anyone they'll still have an interim manager for those games. No point hiring an interim for two games and then come June you gotta rehire him again.

So that's my thinking. If the interim is coming from outside the FAI then they'll also have one eye on June's game incase they still can't find a permanent manager. The interim might not get the four games, but if they go with someone outside the FAIs payroll I think there's a possibility, even if it's only slim, that whomever it is could still be interim come June.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Jaysus. I think back at the stage when I was looking Kenny out I posted something about how if we can't afford to replace him just put him on gardening leave and make John O'Shea manager.

Be careful what you wish for I guess.

If it's an interim position Damian Duff should be asked to come in. Maybe if it goes well we could trick him into taking the job permanently!

Failing that maybe John Sheridan. He has at least been in management before, and has experience of coming into way worse situations than this at Oldham before.

He'll probably still be one of the best passers of the ball in training.

Not anyone associated with the Kenny era or any ex LOI type working for the FAI.
    John Sheridan ffs! The man is a spoofer of the highest order. His time with Waterford alone should rule him out of being let in the door of a dressing room again
    Its really not that complicated!!!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    John Sheridan ffs! The man is a spoofer of the highest order. His time with Waterford alone should rule him out of being let in the door of a dressing room again
    They seem to like him at Oldham for some reason.

Jim Goodwin maybe? If it's just keeping the seat warm could he do it alongside Dundee Utd?

I'm trying to agree with you here but there's not a lot of names out there who would be available. Feel free to suggest someone.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 20/02/2024 at 5:52 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    My thinking is if they're actually close then they'll only need an interim for March so Crawford gets it. Why go outside the association if you're confident that a new manager will be in place by then.

While there's still plenty of time between March and June if they go outside the FAI for an interim they'll have one eye on June's games too imo. That if they fail to appoint anyone they'll still have an interim manager for those games. No point hiring an interim for two games and then come June you gotta rehire him again.

So that's my thinking. If the interim is coming from outside the FAI then they'll also have one eye on June's game incase they still can't find a permanent manager. The interim might not get the four games, but if they go with someone outside the FAIs payroll I think there's a possibility, even if it's only slim, that whomever it is could still be interim come June.
    Crawford has a game with the U21s that clashes with the March games so I suppose thats the reasoning for looking outside temporarily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    They seem to like him at Oldham for some reason.

Jim Goodwin maybe? If it's just keeping the seat warm could he do it alongside Dundee Utd?

I'm trying to agree with you here but there's not a lot of names out there who would be available. Feel free to suggest someone.
    If its an interim just for March I dont really care tbh, O'Shea is out of work and knows the players already so that is a plus in his favor.... but as I said only if there is an agreement in place for the permanent manager.

If we are appointing an interim just so we can continue interviewing others then to be honest I think Canham and Hill need to be fired immediately

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Crawford has a game with the U21s that clashes with the March games so I suppose thats the reasoning for looking outside temporarily.
    They've one game against San Marino though. Don't think one game missed would be an issue. Pretty sure Don Givens and Noel King missed games with the U21s whenever they stepped up as caretakers.

Plus would benefit the FAI and the coaches themselves to see what Crawford could do with the seniors in March and getting a closer look at McShane with the U21s.

If it actually does turn out to be JOS then you have to wonder why they didn't put Kenny on gardening leave after last September's international window. Doubt he would have done worse than Kenny did against Greece, Holland, and NZ. At least then he'd have a few games behind him that they could point towards if he was also to be caretaker next month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    They've one game against San Marino though. Don't think one game missed would be an issue. Pretty sure Don Givens and Noel King missed games with the U21s whenever they stepped up as caretakers.

Plus would benefit the FAI and the coaches themselves to see what Crawford could do with the seniors in March and getting a closer look at McShane with the U21s.

If it actually does turn out to be JOS then you have to wonder why they didn't put Kenny on gardening leave after last September's international window. Doubt he would have done worse than Kenny did against Greece, Holland, and NZ. At least then he'd have a few games behind him that they could point towards if he was also to be caretaker next month.
    Yeah I dont disagree with you. Crawford would make the most sense.

This is a clip from one the many interviews Canham did today, where he said nothing of value in any of them. I dont know if its my frustration coming through but he comes across extremely unlikeable here, smarmy grin or something ...

https://x.com/offtheball/status/1760...598937385?s=20

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Yeah I dont disagree with you. Crawford would make the most sense.

This is a clip from one the many interviews Canham did today, where he said nothing of value in any of them. I dont know if its my frustration coming through but he comes across extremely unlikeable here, smarmy grin or something ...

https://x.com/offtheball/status/1760...598937385?s=20
    Definitely the frustration coming through. Don't really see anything off putting about his demeanor in that clip. Though every reporter probably asked the same questions about the managers after the press conference even though he addressed it in the presser.

Actually think whoever the reporter is comes off worse. Jumping straight in to ask Did you offer anyone the job? while he's talking. We've been told in the last two weeks no one was offered the job yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Definitely the frustration coming through. Don't really see anything off putting about his demeanor in that clip. Though every reporter probably asked the same questions about the managers after the press conference even though he addressed it in the presser.

Actually think whoever the reporter is comes off worse. Jumping straight in to ask Did you offer anyone the job? while he's talking. We've been told in the last two weeks no one was offered the job yet.
    I think in the reporters defense Canham had been giving the same pre rehearsed answers to everyone so he was rightly trying to push it a bit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    It shouldn't be another LOI type manager, but current Shelbourne manager Damian Duff should be considered

It shouldn't be some former LOI type manager but the disaster that was John Sheridan could be considered.

I love this forum sometimes.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    I think in the reporters defense Canham had been giving the same pre rehearsed answers to everyone so he was rightly trying to push it a bit
    Let the man finish what he's saying though first rather than blurting out a question mid answer. Then he might have actually gotten an answer from Canham. Probably another pr answer but those should be all the answers any reporter should get from Canham and Hill regarding a new manager. Especially at an event where you're unveiling big plans for future of youth football in Ireland.

As the old saying goes treat them like mushrooms. Feed them **** and keep them in the dark.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfc_2004 View Post
    If you were doing a SWOT analysis what are the actual selling points of the job ?
    Plan & implement strategies secruring the future success of Irish football, while delivering major finals ( & take scalps while at them ) with no midfield, bits of potential elsewhere, and play through the thirds while doing it, for half the salary of a run of the mill Championship gig, all while living in an absolute goldfish bowl that is the Ireland job with a fanbase & media largely now comprised of people raised in a successful blip circa 88 - 94 which never happened since or prior.

No wonder there's a queue of yesses for it

( all sarcasm there for those in any bit of doubt )
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Tuchel confirmed to be leaving at the end of the season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68301718

Surely worth a word with Anthony Barry again? He'd be first choice in a flash if he was interested in stepping up IMO.
    May I hoke a reek?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    792 Posts
    I doubt Barry would take it, or would stick around for long if he did. He'd be off to a stronger team again at the first opportunity, just like he did previously.

Whatever approach the FAI have tried up to now has been an abject failure. It's long past time they upped the budget and got a decent manager in, be that Carsley or someone else. A good manager will pay for himself through sponsorships, increased attendances and, by the time the next Euros comes around, tournament qualification.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Barry still has a Euros coming up with Portugal. I can't see a genuine title contender losing their highly-respected assistant manager to a much lower-ranked country just before a major finals tbh.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I mean are the FAI actually going to approach him or is this just another case of the media putting 2 and 2 together and hoping to get 4 only for them to be wrong ... AGAIN?

It's either going to Carsley or someone we havent even been talking about I'm sure. This talk of Barry, Coleman, Lennon is the media's way of saying they havent a Scooby doo.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I mean are the FAI actually going to approach him or is this just another case of the media putting 2 and 2 together and hoping to get 4 only for them to be wrong ... AGAIN?

It's either going to Carsley or someone we havent even been talking about I'm sure. This talk of Barry, Coleman, Lennon is the media's way of saying they havent a Scooby doo.
    What is Scooby Doo doing, these days anyway ? !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I doubt Barry would take it, or would stick around for long if he did. He'd be off to a stronger team again at the first opportunity, just like he did previously.

Whatever approach the FAI have tried up to now has been an abject failure. It's long past time they upped the budget and got a decent manager in, be that Carsley or someone else. A good manager will pay for himself through sponsorships, increased attendances and, by the time the next Euros comes around, tournament qualification.
    Would he?

Tournament qualification isn't something I'd be banking on. Attendances have been OK regardless of form. Pretty much the same as they've always been. Sponsorships maybe?

The FAI is broke. I'd guess they've already upped the budget with the targets you've mentioned in mind to be honest so unless someone is going to fund the appt then we are where we are.

If they are going to change something it should probably be the brief and requirements. Having such a clear picture of what they want without having any candidates who really fit the bill isn't helping.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post

I must remember this the next time i'm absolutely broke and can't afford to go out for pints. I'll just "up my budget". Magic.

27. Thanks From: