Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Of the people mentioned on my original post the only ones I would consider seriously are Hughton, Carsley, Poyet and Steven Reid. Poyet throwing his hat into the ring is interesting, although I’m not at all convinced, he isn’t attempting to wangle a pay rise out of the Greek FA

I would have no issue if we were to cast the net wider than usual, but I don’t like the idea of an English manager tbh. Anti-English sentiment has always been there in Ireland, but I think it has changed in a way that makes it harder to appoint a manager from there than might previously have been the case. Over the last few decades I think the Irish public have come to look upon the English as being a bit unsophisticated compared to ourselves, particularly since Brexit. In the context of this conversation that’s more than ironic given that the change in our national self-esteem arguably began with an English football manager taking over our national team, but there you have it.

Say what you like about Jack Charlton’s football, but as a man he was a great fit for us. He had an old-fashioned charm about him, and when he had a fishing rod or a pint of Guinness in his hand it was never a prop. With the budget we have to offer, the English managers who might be interested would probably be names like Chris Wilder, Dean Smith or Nigel Pearson. It’s hard to imagine one of those guys standing in the middle of the Boyne wearing waders.

If it was to be an Englishman, I think it would have to be someone who had gone to the continent and worked there for a while, but the only example that jumps to mind is Graham Potter who I imagine we simply can’t afford.

If it isn’t to be an Irish manager I think the players, media and general public would all react better to someone with that bit of mystery about them that comes with being from somewhere we’re less familiar with.

I like the suggestion of Vladimir Petkovi?. He has the sort of CV that shows real promise. Jorge Sampaoli is another name I would throw into the mix if he would consider it. I reckon the Irish public could get right behind that high intensity Bielsa style football he plays.

Thinking about the characteristics of what would make up the ideal candidate to come out of left field, I came up with a few ideas.

I'm not in favour of a young up and comer. The trouble with that sort of appointment is that we'll be an obvious stepping stone to the Premier League. If they do well they'll likely be off after one campaign and we're back to square one. I'd prefer someone in their late 50s or 60's who is maybe at a stage of life where they want to be working but would perhaps find the less intense regime of international football to their liking.

Ideally, they would also speak English to a decent standard. We've seen in the past that communication is a key part of the role. Trapattoni and Stephen Kenny both suffered totally unnecessary difficulties because of their struggles with the English language.

A good knowledge of the Championship in England would be beneficial. It’s probably the division most of our players emerge in, and clearly we need a few new faces.
    And clearly the FAI are in no position to pay any compensation to anyone.

So I’m looking for someone who is over 55 and out of work, who isn’t English but speaks the language, has managed in the championship as well as in Europe. There are a bunch of former Watford and Fulham and managers who tick a lot of those boxes, and those clubs go through so many managers that it doesn’t really hurt their reputation when they inevitably get sacked. Quique Sánchez Flores, Slaviša Jokanovi? and Slaven Bili? would all be worth considering.

One last name I want to mention is David Wagner who I rate highly. And he’s working with a few of our players already which can’t hurt.

All that being said, I think Chris Hughton would be my #1 choice.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 18/10/2023 at 2:35 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Irish Times saying Carlsley is the FAI's preferred choice

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...red-successor/

"One of the primary functions of a manager is to inspire ruthlessness. Such a shortfall could be solved by the recruitment of England under-21 coach Lee Carsley, the outstanding candidate to replace Kenny according to a source in Irish football."

(Whatever that actually means!

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post

There is no money in the FAI, but whatever bit there is, Hill & Canham are taking home a good chunk of it each year, we have no main sponsor and Castore gear to show for their efforts. I would like them to come up with one progressive innovative appointment & get it right. Others do it, why not us.
    I'm not as close to things as others on here but I can't think of anything positive from their tenure so far?

1. The "Strategic Plan" was just a a bunch of wildly optimistic KPIs that were in large parts completely out of their control. LoI clubs coefficients in Europe improving etc....how exactly did they plan to affect that?

2. The lack of a sponsor - What is Hill doing in England that we can't even get a sponsor for the international side? I know we are bad but fans are still showing up. If we can't get someone to pay why aren't we promoting a good cause on the jersey?

3. Euro 2028 bringing the GAA development money for Casement Park but very little for the game itself. This one actually boggles the mind. What a shocking indictment of the state of the FAI that the GAA will benefit from a football tournament. Shocking.

4. We are still broke and hoping for a qualification miracle to dig us out of things.

Sadly we are now at a point where finding a Denis O'Brien type to splash the cash on a top level manager just to get us to qualify might actually be the right idea. We seem completely ****ed in the short, medium and long term but at least that might pay off the debts. Maybe Euro 2028 will clear them and the FAI will then pump money into the game here but..........I see nothing so far that gives me any hope that they know what they are doing.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I'm bored in work so decided to have a look into Chris Hughtons record at Ghana since his name keeps coming up.

Took over in February and was in an African Nations group with Madagascar, Angola and Central African Republic. Ranked 108, 117 and 127 in the FIFA rankings, while Ghana at 60.... similar to us having a group of Kosovo, Estonia and Faroes.

Hes won 2 and drawn 2.
    Took a 96 min winner to beat Angola at home.
    88th min winner to beat Central African Republic.

Hes won 1 Friendly against Liberia, but this week has been beaten by Mexico 2-0 and yesterday 4-0 by USA.

I suppose the good news is that he'll probably be out of a job and available soon....
    Its really not that complicated!!!

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

2. The lack of a sponsor - What is Hill doing in England that we can't even get a sponsor for the international side? I know we are bad but fans are still showing up. If we can't get someone to pay why aren't we promoting a good cause on the jersey?
    Was mentioned last month at the press conference that a route they've looked at is a number of secondary sponsors rather than one main sponsor similar to UEFA with the Champions League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I'm bored in work so decided to have a look into Chris Hughtons record at Ghana since his name keeps coming up.

Took over in February and was in an African Nations group with Madagascar, Angola and Central African Republic. Ranked 108, 117 and 127 in the FIFA rankings, while Ghana at 60.... similar to us having a group of Kosovo, Estonia and Faroes.

Hes won 2 and drawn 2.

Hes won 1 Friendly against Liberia, but this week has been beaten by Mexico 2-0 and yesterday 4-0 by USA.

I suppose the good news is that he'll probably be out of a job and available soon....
    I saw your last post and this, appreciate it. I have to be honest, Hughton has never filled me with excitement as a potential candidate apart from a brief spell when he was with Norwich. I'd much rather Carsley as a fairly progressive choice that carries some risk (or Solskjaer just to see you go into full on seizure mode ). I love some of the foreign candidates that have been put forward too over the last few pages but have reservations. The Trappatoni appointment was, for me, one of the most deflating experiences (despite qualifying for the euros) in terms of how he spoke about our players, our talent pool and their limitations. At a time where they were far superior to what we have now. I hated how we played under him but it was as much about how he spoke about us. O'Neill and MickMackII were way more palatable to me. Sorry... that turned into a mini-rant! If it is someone from the continent or further afield, it is ideally someone who really wants the job, who is hungry to prove themselves, not just a paycheck, and will put their heart and mind fully into it, put a bit of joy back into the role and not buy into lazy stereotypes about our ability.

Yours,
    Bored in Work too.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Re Hughton, Ghana were also beaten by USA today in a friendly 4-0

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I saw your last post and this, appreciate it. I have to be honest, Hughton has never filled me with excitement as a potential candidate apart from a brief spell when he was with Norwich. I'd much rather Carsley as a fairly progressive choice that carries some risk (or Solskjaer just to see you go into full on seizure mode ). I love some of the foreign candidates that have been put forward too over the last few pages but have reservations. The Trappatoni appointment was, for me, one of the most deflating experiences (despite qualifying for the euros) in terms of how he spoke about our players, our talent pool and their limitations. At a time where they were far superior to what we have now. I hated how we played under him but it was as much about how he spoke about us. O'Neill and MickMackII were way more palatable to me. Sorry... that turned into a mini-rant! If it is someone from the continent or further afield, it is ideally someone who really wants the job, who is hungry to prove themselves, not just a paycheck, and will put their heart and mind fully into it, put a bit of joy back into the role and not buy into lazy stereotypes about our ability.

Yours,
    Bored in Work too.
    Certainly don't want us picking up another foreign manager who should be retiring. Trap never seemed all that invested to me. Blaming the players was a cop out for a lack of interest imop. One reason I backed Kenny getting more time is that he's been the complete opposite. He eventually let me down in terms of re-hauling the side but he at least knows all the players who are or might be available. Trap would never have unearthed Johnston for example. I'm not sure he even watched our players. Tardelli seemed to do most of that work.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts

Hes won 2 and drawn 2.

If you want (a Northern) Irishman with wider experience of international management than Hughton, including in Africa, here's your man - amazingly eclectic CV and still only 38:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnathan_McKinstry

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Trap worked on the basis of boring opposition to death, and sneaking one on the break when they fell asleep.. it was mind numbing

O Neill was as bad.. anyone remember going two up against Moldova and just stopping playing???

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Mark Kennedy (whose been mentioned here I believe) has walked away from his job at Lincoln along with his assistant manager.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I've been organising tickets for people this campaign

I could have sold out France myself..

Got decent orders for Gibralter cause it was a nice Summer evening game

Dutch.. mostly die hards going to every game

Greece.. none.. not a single person wanted them

That alone shows why Kenny couldn't last

Sheesh when I think he was getting 500k

For what? Basic economics would have meant taking his salary at the time, and adding 20% on top to sweeten it.. and if he said no, grand.. on your bike

At worst he could have been offered a qualification bonus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    I've been organising tickets for people this campaign

I could have sold out France myself..

Got decent orders for Gibralter cause it was a nice Summer evening game

Dutch.. mostly die hards going to every game

Greece.. none.. not a single person wanted them

That alone shows why Kenny couldn't last

Sheesh when I think he was getting 500k

For what? Basic economics would have meant taking his salary at the time, and adding 20% on top to sweeten it.. and if he said no, grand.. on your bike

At worst he could have been offered a qualification bonus
    Can you imagine the tumbleweeds that'll be in stadium for the NZ friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I know but if it is common knowledge he will be gone after the window, you'd hope he'd get a decent send off. He cares so much, he'd deserve it for that alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I know but if it is common knowledge he will be gone after the window, you'd hope he'd get a decent send off. He cares so much, he'd deserve it for that alone.
    Its also gonna basically be a testimonial for McClean so that might add a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

Hes won 2 and drawn 2.

Hughton also left Notts Forest bottom of the table when he was sacked, the same year they got promoted to the Premier League.

He's a more old school style of manager, and those wishing for him to get the job would want to be careful with what they wish. He'd be well down my list of preferences.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Of the people mentioned on my original post the only ones I would consider seriously are Hughton, Carsley, Poyet and Steven Reid. Poyet throwing his hat into the ring is interesting, although I’m not at all convinced, he isn’t attempting to wangle a pay rise out of the Greek FA

I would have no issue if we were to cast the net wider than usual, but I don’t like the idea of an English manager tbh. Anti-English sentiment has always been there in Ireland, but I think it has changed in a way that makes it harder to appoint a manager from there than might previously have been the case. Over the last few decades I think the Irish public have come to look upon the English as being a bit unsophisticated compared to ourselves, particularly since Brexit. In the context of this conversation that’s more than ironic given that the change in our national self-esteem arguably began with an English football manager taking over our national team, but there you have it.

Say what you like about Jack Charlton’s football, but as a man he was a great fit for us. He had an old-fashioned charm about him, and when he had a fishing rod or a pint of Guinness in his hand it was never a prop. With the budget we have to offer, the English managers who might be interested would probably be names like Chris Wilder, Dean Smith or Nigel Pearson. It’s hard to imagine one of those guys standing in the middle of the Boyne wearing waders.

If it was to be an Englishman, I think it would have to be someone who had gone to the continent and worked there for a while, but the only example that jumps to mind is Graham Potter who I imagine we simply can’t afford.

If it isn’t to be an Irish manager I think the players, media and general public would all react better to someone with that bit of mystery about them that comes with being from somewhere we’re less familiar with.

I like the suggestion of Vladimir Petkovi?. He has the sort of CV that shows real promise. Jorge Sampaoli is another name I would throw into the mix if he would consider it. I reckon the Irish public could get right behind that high intensity Bielsa style football he plays.

Thinking about the characteristics of what would make up the ideal candidate to come out of left field, I came up with a few ideas.

I'm not in favour of a young up and comer. The trouble with that sort of appointment is that we'll be an obvious stepping stone to the Premier League. If they do well they'll likely be off after one campaign and we're back to square one. I'd prefer someone in their late 50s or 60's who is maybe at a stage of life where they want to be working but would perhaps find the less intense regime of international football to their liking.

Ideally, they would also speak English to a decent standard. We've seen in the past that communication is a key part of the role. Trapattoni and Stephen Kenny both suffered totally unnecessary difficulties because of their struggles with the English language.

A good knowledge of the Championship in England would be beneficial. It’s probably the division most of our players emerge in, and clearly we need a few new faces.
    And clearly the FAI are in no position to pay any compensation to anyone.

So I’m looking for someone who is over 55 and out of work, who isn’t English but speaks the language, has managed in the championship as well as in Europe. There are a bunch of former Watford and Fulham and managers who tick a lot of those boxes, and those clubs go through so many managers that it doesn’t really hurt their reputation when they inevitably get sacked. Quique Sánchez Flores, Slaviša Jokanovi? and Slaven Bili? would all be worth considering.

One last name I want to mention is David Wagner who I rate highly. And he’s working with a few of our players already which can’t hurt.

All that being said, I think Chris Hughton would be my #1 choice.
    A couple of things. The English are unsophisticated? Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, but not now. England are in the argument for the top 2 or 3 teams in world football.
    And you made me laugh with the Stephen Kenny and the English language bit. My take on Kenny is he can speak the English language but no one has the foggiest what he is saying as he rambles up and down and all around . Comparing him with Trapatoni was pretty clever.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Chris Hughton has a pretty mixed record as a manager ~ Also, is it possible that he has fallen behind the times as a manager for today's game ~ Just asking ? !

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    A couple of things. The English are unsophisticated? Maybe 15 or 20 years ago, but not now.
    He means as a people, as a society, obviously.
    Brexit, right leaning populist PM during it. Inward looking islanders, etc.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

27. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Chris Hughton has a pretty mixed record as a manager ~ Also, is it possible that he has fallen behind the times as a manager for today's game ~ Just asking ? !
    Probably at the tail end of his managerial stage yeah, like Trap / MON / Mick II were. Looking a lot like that career trajectory wise anyhow.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Page 5 of 111 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast