Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    No Chance Robbie was very unwise with his 250k no work salary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Presumably John O'Shea and Keith Andrews will put their names forward, individually or as a duo? Think it is fair to assume that both are quite ambitious and diligent in their duties. But not sure if they have the ability to get on-field performances + results.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Possibly, though the list of current international managers across Europe doesn't have many ex-Premier League managers in it, or even high-profile managers outside the big countries.

You've a mix of the underage manager being promoted (I don't think Crawford is a serious candidate though?), a decent domestic manager stepping up (which is what we have now, and I don't think Bradley is a serious candidate), a big name manager (Deschamps, Martinez, Nagelsmann - but we can't afford that), and some left-field appointments (Willy Sagnol at Georgia for example)

You could argue Poyet is an exception to that - a former Premier League manager who may be within our budget - but in the 3½ years before taking over at Greece, his only work was six months in Chile.
    Another left field example and also a FB in his playing days is Sylvinho. Appointed manager of Albania back in January and sits top of their group having already played Poland and Czech Republic twice so as good as qualified with games against Moldova and Faroes next month.

Seamus Coleman player/manager.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Presumably John O'Shea and Keith Andrews will put their names forward, individually or as a duo? Think it is fair to assume that both are quite ambitious and diligent in their duties. But not sure if they have the ability to get on-field performances + results.
    Neither have any managerial experience

Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Another left field example and also a FB in his playing days is Sylvinho. Appointed manager of Albania back in January and sits top of their group having already played Poland and Czech Republic twice so as good as qualified with games against Moldova and Faroes next month.
    Interesting suggestion

Seamus Coleman player/manager.
    Another interesting suggestion - and probably he only one of this cohort that I would think worthwhile giving a chance - does he have his coaching badges yet?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post

Interesting suggestion

Another interesting suggestion - and probably he only one of this cohort that I would think worthwhile giving a chance - does he have his coaching badges yet?
    Only has his UEFA B atm. Might be completing his UEFA A as it's three years since he completed his B licence. Definitely strikes me as someone that will look to go into management once his playing days are over.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Like it's been said by someone here, the right appointment might be someone we aren't even thinking of. This is why the FAI need to be wise when searching for the next manager rather than just going for the safe option like they've done in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I can see a Robbie Keane and Damien Duff management ticket in the FAI's near future
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Like it's been said by someone here, the right appointment might be someone we aren't even thinking of. This is why the FAI need to be wise when searching for the next manager rather than just going for the safe option like they've done in the past.
    Might be a positive that Marc Canham will be involved in finding potential targets for the FAI to interview. Should surely have some contacts with people that wouldn't even come on the FAIs radar if it was left to the board to find options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Andre Villas-Boas could be worth looking at. Chelsea probably came too soon for him, but he did ok at Spurs, Zenit and more recently Marseille. Hes available too
    Has had seven managerial jobs, the longest he's stayed in any, sacked or resigned, was Zenit: 2 years and 2 months.

So even if you could get (i.e. pay) him, which must be highly doubtful imo, you'd imagine he'd be good for just the one campaign before he got itchy feet again.

Though if you could wangle him an entry to the Circuit of Ireland rally, that might swing it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    True (not my choice btw), but ....

.... you are willing to take a punt on Coleman who doesn't have managerial experience???

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    I think the challenge here is that it needs to be someone who carries some proven experience at either club level or as an international manager. Someone that the players, fans and media can buy into. That doesn't come without a baseline cost, obviously. The second would be someone that brings a pragmatic v. idealistic approach to the game. In retrospect, I think Kenny was a bit too much of an idealist and it cost him in terms of results and goodwill (over time) - even if some performances were good. A coach who plays to the strengths of his pool and balances that against the strengths/weaknesses of the opposition. I know someone threw out Jose Mourinho earlier and he would be ideal from a pragmatic perspective but i cannot see us being able to afford him plus he has a few more big jobs (pay days) left in him, i reckon. Rafa Benitez is another who, for his faults, is a pragmatician - but just signed on with Celta Vigo for a few years. Dont think he could be tempted away. Same goes for a few of the names mentioned on here who i would also class as fairly pragmatic.

Who/what does that leave? You really are starting to look like a Sam Allardyce type at this point - unless there is someone out of left-field not on the main radars...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Sorry, meant to add, i think appointing someone who has been around the last few set-ups will be a disaster. Not just from an experience perspective but the fact that there will immediately be a schism among the media, fans, potentially players. I think we are better moving away from the approach of "appointing from within" (which is actually laudable) and starting with someone new, with a fresh slate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Ireland job might be an opportunity [for Kevin Muscat] to put himself on display for clubs in the UK.
    Then after he gets a few good results, he leaves you mid-campaign for the first attractive offer?

It happened to NI with Lawrie Sanchez. Can't blame him, but he took a job in the EPL with Fulham when NI were 2nd in a seven team group including Spain, Sweden and Denmark (two to qualify). We ended up skittering in 3rd on GD ahead of the Danes in 4th, after losing very winnable games to Iceland and Latvia which would have seen us qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Would Graham Potter be an utterly outlandish suggestion? Great at Brighton, but perhaps looking for something a bit different after the disaster at Chelsea, has worked outside England too.
    If you look at the calibre of job he's been "linked with" (I know, I know) but turned down, I'd guess he's holding out for bigger things. Besides, he's still only 48 and ambitious managers often see an international job as a wind-down to their career.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Then after he gets a few good results, he leaves you mid-campaign for the first attractive offer?

It happened to NI with Lawrie Sanchez. Can't blame him, but he took a job in the EPL with Fulham when NI were 2nd in a seven team group including Spain, Sweden and Denmark (two to qualify). We ended up skittering in 3rd on GD ahead of the Danes in 4th, after losing very winnable games to Iceland and Latvia which would have seen us qualify.
    Which will probably be a concern with many coaches given Ireland don't pay millions anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    Also Carsley won manager of the month in the championship while Brentford manager and was offered the job full time. Turned it down because he has a child with a disability so international management would seem to suit him better.
    Extremely highly rated at Brentford, but turned down the permanent job for genuine reasons, as you say. And Brentford's record in appointing managers is absolutely top class, so that's as good a Job Reference as you can get.

One left-field appointment might be Mark Warburton? He's a bit of a snake when it comes to dealing with Chairmen and transfers etc, meaning his club management career hasn't been as good as he doubtless imagines it should have been. But he's a genuinely good coach, and since international managers have to work with the players they're given, maybe his skills might suit? Currently assisting Moyes at WHU, so would surely be open to offers for a "proper" job?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Mentioned Mark Warburton before as a left field option and he actually left West Ham in the summer because he wants to get back into management. Think international football would suit him similar to Chris Wilder.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    From a new manager's point of view ~ Always good to come in after the previous manager has been a failure ~ Might make the job a bit more attractive !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Neil Warnock was mentioned earlier , i read a book by him "The Gaffer" recently (although its a few years old) talking about his time as a Manager.
    Gave me a different perspective on him tbh. Naturally given it was his own book he comes accross well but there were some specific instances and factual things that made me think there is more to him then people think.
    He would have been everything i wouldnt want in an Ireland manager but .............

Its a good read.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Sadly I reckon more thought is going in to the next appointment on this thread than the FAI will muster.

I'd love to see someone on the way up, like Magne Hoseth or an unknown De Zerbi type....but we will more than likely end up with Robbie Keane.

The next manager's style of play is the most critical thing. We could appoint Pep but he'd still have to deal with having very little going on between a decent back line and a very young Evan Ferguson. Do we switch back to bypassing midfield? Personally I don't mind. I liked that Kenny believed we could play a better brand of football but he was far too stubborn when the team weren't able to execute or we didn't have the key players you need available.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Page 3 of 111 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast