Page 39 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...o-lee-carsley/

This was an article from couple days ago by Kilbane. Clear sign that Carsley wants it and just details being negotiated at this stage. I've thought it was going to be Carsley for some time but in the last few days there have been multiple sources reporting similar things that it's getting down to the wire.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    I'd be a little wary of presenting Carsley as the guy to helm a "long-term project". Not because it isn't true, because there is some rebuilding work to be done, but whoever is in charge next needs to actually show progress relatively quickly. I don't necessarily mean tournament qualification, though that shouldn't be treated as some impossible dream in the short-term, but increased competitiveness for sure, being in that conversation. We've just finished a long-term project manager and it was a disaster. We can't start off with the next one with a similar situation whereby regression and successive lowpoints are dismissed for far too long as a consequence of the project, unimportant in the face of it.

I would be interested in hearing what it is people would expect from the next manager over the next few cycles. I'd be expecting us to have a credible effort at 2026 qualification, and getting to EURO 2028 (especially since we have additional advantages there).
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 23/01/2024 at 2:26 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    He's definitely done some damage to his reputation over the last week, but I would still favour him over Lennon. I'd hate for the suits to justify Lennon's hiring on the back of that AFCON campaign.
    The reality is that Ghana is not a good team - they have Kudus who is going to be a star, but after that they have a bunch of very ordinary players. Even getting Ghana qualified for AFCON should not be underestimated - but I do agree that they blew it completely once they got there.

Where Hughton ends up next is anyone's guess - indeed whether he is interested in another job at his age is an open question (I do think he would like the Ireland job - but that might be the only one at this stage - although my contact did say that he missed the day-to-day interaction with players while working with Ghana).
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 23/01/2024 at 3:35 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I'd be a little wary of presenting Carsley as the guy to helm a "long-term project". Not because it isn't true, because there is some rebuilding work to be done, but whoever is in charge next needs to actually show progress relatively quickly. I don't necessarily mean tournament qualification, though that shouldn't be treated as some impossible dream in the short-term, but increased competitiveness for sure, being in that conversation. We've just finished a long-term project manager and it was a disaster. We can't start off with the next one with a similar situation whereby regression and successive lowpoints are dismissed for far too long as a consequence of the project, unimportant in the face of it.

I would be interested in hearing what it is people would expect from the next manager over the next few cycles. I'd be expecting us to have a credible effort at 2026 qualification, and getting to EURO 2028 (especially since we have additional advantages there).
    I do think Carsley is worth a punt - he has a growing reputation as a coach and getting him as Ireland manager at this stage is a bit of a coup. Assuming he gets the job - whether he works out - only time will tell.

I will say that I would expect some immediate improvement - Kenny was that bad that pretty much any competent coach would show an improvement.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts

In fairness Kilbane does say that Carsley is a mix of old school pragmatism too so yes there is a long term project but results do have to improve, especially against lesser and similar opponents to ourselves
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    The Lennon-Beatles posts cracking, had me laughing out loud, fair play.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts

No surprise really. Hopefully the FAI don't see him as a possible candidate now that he'll be cheap and available.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts

For me, Success in the next campaign would be "double qualification" for the playoffs. By that I mean coming second in the main qualification group but also finishing high enough in the Nations League that we would have qualified that way anyway. With twenty-eight teams either qualifying directly or going to the playoffs, this is a an achievable goal, in my opinion. We have a better squad that's still improving and hopefully we will have a capable manager who will get the best out of them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    792 Posts
    We would need to win our Nations League group to make the playoffs from that route. Obviously we don't know the group yet, but that would be a big ask. Given that there will be 12 qualification groups next time, meaning the better teams will be more widely spread out, top 2 in the qualification groups is probably a more realistic route.

So I'd say looking for "double qualification" is asking a bit much, but targeting the playoffs one way or the other is realistic. That said, as long as we can see clear progress in the coming campaign (i.e. a tangible improvement in performances and results, not meaningless stuff like possession and pass completion stats), then that will be something in itself.

It's a great job for someone to come in to because the bar has been set so low. But that does make me wary that a bad manager could get a pass for a long time though achievements that actually don't amount to a lot when you step back from them (this is basically how Neil Lennon has built a management career to this point). Once we see the various groups we're drawn into we'll have a better idea of what constitutes relative success in the next cycle.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Playing Devils advocate here but what are the pros and cons of Lennon getting the gig?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Pros = generally competent and experienced. Was probably a very good manager 10-13 years ago
    Cons = supervised a real decline in Celtic's standards after Rodgers left. Even when they won the league they were flat and relying on very late goals. Got outwitted by a Gerrard/Beale combo in his last season which was beyond awful. Gets very pr1ckly when the chips are down.

Overall I see no sign that he's a coach with a vision and an ability to inspire and invigorate a young squad splattered with talent and potential but no real leaders.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Playing Devils advocate here but what are the pros and cons of Lennon getting the gig?
    There is very serious social issues as well
    We can't have someone who threatened to slit his mistresses throat as our manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Pros = generally competent and experienced. Was probably a very good manager 10-13 years ago
    Cons = supervised a real decline in Celtic's standards after Rodgers left. Even when they won the league they were flat and relying on very late goals. Got outwitted by a Gerrard/Beale combo in his last season which was beyond awful. Gets very pr1ckly when the chips are down.

Overall I see no sign that he's a coach with a vision and an ability to inspire and invigorate a young squad splattered with talent and potential but no real leaders.
    Great answer. Thank you.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    We can't have someone who threatened to slit his mistresses throat as our manager.
    Wow. Never heard that one before

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post

No surprise really. Hopefully the FAI don't see him as a possible candidate now that he'll be cheap and available.
    Hughton's contract was up when Ghana's participation in AFCON ended - but Hughton leaving at this point was always the expectation. The only likelihood of him staying as Ghana manager was if they got deep into the knockout stages - and even they Hughton would have ultimately decided if he wanted to continue there.

Ghana have had six different managers in the last seven years with Appiah the only one lasing longer than a year - and one of the biggest difficulties between the Ghanaian FA and the managers appointed has been the insistence that the national managers also play a prominent role in managing a team of locally based players. Think of it in terms the new Ireland manager also spending a lot of time going to LOI games and managing a LOI team - except travelling nearly 8,000 Km from where you international players play their club football. From the outset Hughton spent a lot more time in Ghana than he expected - and he made it clear that he was unwilling to spend the time demanded in the country (remember Hughton was hired and paid by the Ghanaian government - not the FA).

I suspect that he is deeply disappointed with how things have panned out - he wanted to do well in Ghana, not for reputation purposes, but because his father is from Ghana - and as I said early, I think the Irish job is the only one at this stage that would attract him in the immediate future for the same reason. After that it is very much an open question what he would do - he needed time after leaving Brighton and I think he will take time out if he doesn't get the Irish job. Ultimately he had several options before take the job at Forest - which was a big mistake from his perspective (he should have gone to WBA instead - a much better run club). Whether, apart from Ireland, another job becomes available that he thinks he can have an impact with is an open question - and whether he would want to take another job at 66/67 years of age is another story. I could see him taking on some sort of a supervisory/technical director role (indeed if Carsley gets the job he could do worse than bring Hughton on board in some sort of advisory capacity - having an old head as a sounding board for a young coach is never a bad idea).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Completely forgot about that - the FAI should be bombarded with protests if his name continues to be bounced around.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

No evidence that he is competent - he managed Celtic when Rangers were at deaths door - he had no competition. His time with Bolton, Hibs and in Cyprus were a disaster - and is noted for fighting with and ostracising his players and club staff (clearly he has power/control issues).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...lennon-7075826

Even if they just do the most basic due dilligence on him I can't see how the FAI can appoint Neil Lennon. If they do, they deserve everything coming their way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    No evidence that he is competent - he managed Celtic when Rangers were at deaths door - he had no competition. His time with Bolton, Hibs and in Cyprus were a disaster - and is noted for fighting with and ostracising his players and club staff (clearly he has power/control issues).
    He got Celtic out of the group stages of the CL. Is that not "competition"? Beating one of the best ever club sides in world in the process. Rangers self inflicted decline had nothing to do with Lennon.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...lennon-7075826

Even if they just do the most basic due dilligence on him I can't see how the FAI can appoint Neil Lennon. If they do, they deserve everything coming their way.
    Going by that he may be " too busy " for the Irish job ! ! !

Page 39 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast