Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Andre Burley was another one - played some games on loan at Waterford and played for St. Kitts and Nevis in the 2023 Gold Cup who are coached by Austin Huggins who is ex-Bohs.
    Could write another full list of lads who have played in the league at some stage, to have featured in a major tournament.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ghana and Cape Verde are almost right beside each other in the world rankings; they've improved in recent years, probably because they've plenty of Portuguese-born players to call on.

It's not a good look for the CV though if he's eyeing up the Ireland job

Egypt needed a 97th-minute penalty to draw with Mozambique, so Ghana will probably have felt the group was opening up.
    Bad result for Ghana and Hughton - massive blunder by the goalkeeper for the winner.

Ghana are not a good team - the FA is riddled with corruption and the team have been in freefall for the past five years. Hughton has been trying to stabilise the squad and keep the FA out of it. By all accounts the players (and fans) undergo massive mood swings - on a high when they are winning and then in the depths when things go against them. They will find it very tough to get out of the group.

As for Cape Verde - yea - way more than half the squad weren't born in Cape Verde and have played underage for Portugal, France or Holland and many of them play for PL clubs in different European countries.
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 15/01/2024 at 3:47 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Egypt v Ghana on BBC3 this evening. Another chance to see our possible future manager in action?

After bad results v crap teams, be interesting how he gets on against a half-decent one

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Egypt v Ghana on BBC3 this evening. Another chance to see our possible future manager in action?

After bad results v crap teams, be interesting how he gets on against a half-decent one
    I'll have an eye on it.

But you know if Ghana lose its nothing to do with Chris Hughton, nothing, ever anywhere gone wrong while he is or was manager ever anywhere is on him.

If they win, he is a God a footballing deity unappreciated in his own time. Kinda like Van Gogh. Only with both ears fully intact.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    I'm just waiting for you to update your sig tbh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I'm just waiting for you to update your sig tbh!
    Any day now. Keep em peeled.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Are there any whispers of a decision or anything? The silence is pretty deafening with the March friendlies just around the corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I'll have an eye on it.

But you know if Ghana lose its nothing to do with Chris Hughton, nothing, ever anywhere gone wrong while he is or was manager ever anywhere is on him.

If they win, he is a God a footballing deity unappreciated in his own time. Kinda like Van Gogh. Only with both ears fully intact.
    Jaysus. I gave Kenny until Luxembourg before I turned on him. Hughton may not even have been shortlisted yet and you seem to hate him with a passion usually reserved for paedophiles and people who don't know what they want when they get to the front of the queue for the chipper van.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    I think he's being sarcastic - I'm presuming because of Jolly Red Giant's defences of Hughton that everything that went wrong at club level tended to be someone else's fault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Jaysus. I gave Kenny until Luxembourg before I turned on him. Hughton may not even have been shortlisted yet and you seem to hate him with a passion usually reserved for paedophiles and people who don't know what they want when they get to the front of the queue for the chipper van.
    Huh ?

I'm overall fairly non committal on the prospect, not my pick but would prefer him to others. The post above was a friendly jibe at JLRs strong preference for Hughton & how he sees it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    I start talking about paedophiles and chipper van queues and people start taking me seriously.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I start talking about paedophiles and chipper van queues and people start taking me seriously.
    The chipper van queue should not be brought up lightly.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Social media is rarely worth trusting on such matters, but it seems like Ghana fans cannot wait to see the back of Hughton. He'd be well down my list of preferred options too and this AFCON tournament, and results prior to it, only serves to back it up.

Four wins from 12 games since taking the Ghana managers job a year ago, all against teams all ranked over 100 in the world. Their last World Cup qualifer before Christmas saw them beat by then 126 ranked Comoros, and their win four days previous at home to 106 ranked Madagascar required a 96th minute winner for a 1-0 win.

Averaging less than a goal a game, 11 goals in 12 games, with five of those goals against Liberia and Central African Republic, ranked 153rd and 131st in the world respectively.

It's thanks, but no thanks for me.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Chris Hughton must be getting on a bit now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Chris Hughton must be getting on a bit now.
    He's 65 - probably drawing the state pension - Trap was 69 when he started with us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He's 65 - probably drawing the state pension - Trap was 69 when he started with us.
    And Trap was too old ~ Also football is moving on, at a greater pace since, even those days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    would you take Roy Hodgson? Pretty sure he is in his mid-70's. He's too old now, i reckon, but I'd have taken him at 65 or 69!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I think he's being sarcastic - I'm presuming because of Jolly Red Giant's defences of Hughton that everything that went wrong at club level tended to be someone else's fault
    Ah now come on - I recognise the record Hughton has - good at Newcastle until Ashley did the dirt on him - okay at Norwich (the board panicked so we don't know if he would have kept them up) - very good at Brighton - not so good at Forest (even with being sold a pig in a poke) - okay with Ghana given the mess he had to try and clean up.

Ghana were the better team last night and should have won the game - the reality is that they were the bounce of a ball in both games away from four points instead of one - and that is despite some atrocious defensive blunders in both games. They have to beat Mozambique on Monday to be in with a chance of getting out of the group and that is not an easy task (despite Cape Verde beating Mozambique 3-0 today).

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Social media is rarely worth trusting on such matters, but it seems like Ghana fans cannot wait to see the back of Hughton.
    Elements within the Ghanaian FA have been trying to get Hughton out since he come in as technical director (Hughton was hired by the Ghanaian government not the FA - because the FA is riddled with corruption) - they have been spending significant money paying off social media 'influencers' in Ghana to run a witch-hunt against him.

Four wins from 12 games since taking the Ghana managers job a year ago, all against teams all ranked over 100 in the world. Their last World Cup qualifer before Christmas saw them beat by then 126 ranked Comoros, and their win four days previous at home to 106 ranked Madagascar required a 96th minute winner for a 1-0 win.

Averaging less than a goal a game, 11 goals in 12 games, with five of those goals against Liberia and Central African Republic, ranked 153rd and 131st in the world respectively.

In competitive games Hughton is - P8 W3 D3 L2 - that is a significantly better record than Kenny had with Ireland.

I am all ears when it comes to who take over as Ireland manager - but of Hughton, Lennon, Coleman, Keane (both of them) and Bruce - Hughton stands head and shoulders above them in terms of what he has achieved. If it is Barry, Carsley or Allardyce - I could get onboard with all three. SkStu mentioned Roy Hodgson - and despite him being 76 I would still take him above many of the others mentioned.

Of those that appear to be realistic (assuming Carsley, Barry and Allardyce are out) - I would appoint Hughton any day (with Hodgson a good plan B).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Social media is rarely worth trusting on such matters, but it seems like Ghana fans cannot wait to see the back of Hughton. He'd be well down my list of preferred options too and this AFCON tournament, and results prior to it, only serves to back it up.

I'd honestly rather Mick McCarthy back again than a Hughton, Lennon, or Keane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    I'd honestly rather Mick McCarthy back again than a Hughton, Lennon, or Keane.
    Jaysus no - McCarthy wasn't the worst by a long shot (no.4 in my opinion) - but he did have two shots at the job (and he did contribute to the mess in Japan).

Page 36 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast