Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    John Eustace?
    Wouldn't say no - but I still think he will replace Ainsworth at QPR in the next couple of weeks

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Carsley the superficially obvious candidate. BBM would have to be considered.

But I think the Postecoglou, De Zerbi success justs shows little any of us knows about what's really available out there.

Lennon would be a terrible choice. None of the LOI guys are experienced enough or good enough. Bradley really frustrates me at Rovers despite the now likely 4 in a row. He regularly comes off second best in tactical battles. Goodwin or Kevin Doherty could be good candidates to replace him.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/10/2023 at 9:05 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Genuinely worried the FAI will take a punt on Robbie Keane.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    But I think the Postecoglou, De Zerbi success justs shows little any of us knows about what's really available out there.
    Yeah, exactly this for me.

It can still be fun to throw out names on a forum, mind. Unless they're all uninspiring ones like the names on here (no reflection on the posters putting them out there!)

I'd hope for a left-field appointment that turns out to be quite good, but I fear we're damaged goods such that we'll get tried, trusted, and slightly old.

Or Robbie Keane, of course, who may be keen to leave Tel Aviv.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    If manager X has success at club level, that generally puts him out of our reach? And there is a need for a "name" to be appointed, making left field appointments difficult. Lots of snide comments about where Kenny's next job address is, very few go on to better things after the Ireland job.

Preferable to have a structure where we can promote from within, using the various underage positions as stepping stones to becoming the senior manager.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    If it had to be someone from the betting list would say Chris Hughton is the best from a bad bunch. I wouldn't include Carsley cause I don't think he'll take a step backwards in his career unless full time senior management isn't his thing.

Surprised Chris Wilder hasn't been included in any betting lists. Unemployed and has had a couple of short stints at clubs since Sheffield United. An international gig might be something that suits him.

Ange was mentioned as an example of there's more out there when you look beyond the UK and Ireland so Kevin Muscat could be a name. Has won leagues in Australia and Japan. He joined a Belgian team after his stint at Melbourne but was sacked after six months. Ireland job might be an opportunity to put himself on display for clubs in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I like Carsley but he hasn't done anything as a senior manager.

I felt Kerr was judged by certain players for having done nothing in senior high-level management.

I also think Kenny probably doesn't command the respect that someone like Hughton, who has managed in Premier League, would.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    It'll probably end up being Roy Keane.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    If manager X has success at club level, that generally puts him out of our reach? And there is a need for a "name" to be appointed, making left field appointments difficult. Lots of snide comments about where Kenny's next job address is, very few go on to better things after the Ireland job.

Preferable to have a structure where we can promote from within, using the various underage positions as stepping stones to becoming the senior manager.
    Kenny's a lot younger, in managerial terms, than his predecessors when they stepped down. I can see him working as a manager again.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Would Graham Potter be an utterly outlandish suggestion? Great at Brighton, but perhaps looking for something a bit different after the disaster at Chelsea, has worked outside England too.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    It'll probably end up being Roy Keane.

I don't want him but unfortunately you are right, he will take it while continuing his tv stuff

Stadiums full and sponsors back onboard

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=Fixer82;2165174]I like Carsley but he hasn't done anything as a senior manager.

I felt Kerr was judged by certain players for having done nothing in senior high-level management.

Think it totally different when a manager has had a successful playing career, playing at a high level both domestically and internationally, Kerr and Kenny would of been complete unknowns to some of the squad. Also Carsley won manager of the month in the championship while Brentford manager and was offered the job full time. Turned it down because he has a child with a disability so international management would seem to suit him better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Would Graham Potter be an utterly outlandish suggestion?
    In terms of ability, not at all.

In terms of "Would he want it?" -

Graham Potter is reportedly paid £10m at Chelsea, just ahead of Erik ten Hag (£9m) and Mikel Arteta (£8.3m).
    That from here (just a random Google). It reckons the lowest-paid Premier League manager is still on £1.5m per year.

Course there's only 20 jobs going in the Premier, but even so you'd have to imagine Potter would fancy his chances at getting another role before committing to such a large pay cut to join us.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Only chance of getting Graham Potter is if you've got a time machine to bring the year back to 2017/2018 when he was still managing in Sweden.

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Only chance of getting Graham Potter is if you've got a time machine to bring the year back to 2017/2018 when he was still managing in Sweden.
    Or, Harry Potter ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't know that the direct comparison of pay is that relevant. The international management job is a totally different beast, far less work. There must be managers who fancy stepping back from the grind, even temporarily.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I think the FAI needs someone who isn't usinmg the job as a shop window or short-term CV fix. Potter has the ability but he'd be off to a PL club in a heartbeat if he has any success with us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Neil Warnock is available .....

Someone mentioned Kevin Muscat he was in the running for the Rangers job at one stage.

Perhaps someone managing in the Ukrainian leagues might prefer a bit of peace and calm. Darijo Srna is at Shakhtar or the legend Mircea Lucescu at Dynamo but he is 78 but previously managed Romania and Turkey.

Probably can't afford him but Paulo Fonseca of Lille and his style of football might suit us. Igor Tudor did ok with Marseille last season. Laurent Blanc is available as well.

Anyway I am throwing random names against the wall whilst the FAI wait to speed dial Neil Lennon and Steve Bruce !!!!

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I don't know that the direct comparison of pay is that relevant. The international management job is a totally different beast, far less work. There must be managers who fancy stepping back from the grind, even temporarily.
    Possibly, though the list of current international managers across Europe doesn't have many ex-Premier League managers in it, or even high-profile managers outside the big countries.

You've a mix of the underage manager being promoted (I don't think Crawford is a serious candidate though?), a decent domestic manager stepping up (which is what we have now, and I don't think Bradley is a serious candidate), a big name manager (Deschamps, Martinez, Nagelsmann - but we can't afford that), and some left-field appointments (Willy Sagnol at Georgia for example)

You could argue Poyet is an exception to that - a former Premier League manager who may be within our budget - but in the 3½ years before taking over at Greece, his only work was six months in Chile.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Genuinely worried the FAI will take a punt on Robbie Keane.
    Oh f*ck - no - don't even suggest it

Page 2 of 111 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast