Brian McDermott was mentioned as a possibility on Off The Ball earlier
    He's working as director of football at Hibs at the moment

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The thing is no matter who the manager is, what is our best XI and what formation. Most of the XI who played France or Holland will be in the next managers XI no matter who is chosen as the manager.

If we revert to being hard to beat, solid at the back and more direct but qualify no one will care who the manager is in reality.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Funny, I was only thinking about him last week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    He was in the berkely court before a game once, must have taken 100 photos
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    You had great patience to put up with him taking that many photos of you ! ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    An erstwhile poster on here and I drove up to St. George's Park (2012?) for a friendly betweeen England U21s and a makeshift U21 Irish team to help them prepare for the Euros. Our team was beyond atrocious. Theirs had John Stones who stood out.

But to our left was Roy Hodgson, about to take England to Dublin for a friendly, and right in front of us were Pat Dolan and McDermott. Hodgson was a gent, Dolan and McDermott just talked to each other about takeaway food throught the game! They did point out that Pierce Sweeney looked fat.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Hughton, Bruce, Lennon and Keane is the order I'd put those choices in. Hughton doesn't hugely excite me, but his CV is decent and I like what I've heard about the work he had done at some clubs. Bruce isn't a bad manager relatively speaking, but I don't think he'd be the right fit at this stage in his career. Lennon I've always felt extremely over-rated as a manager, with little to talk about outside of the very small pond of Scotland. Keane (I assume Roy) has seen the game pass him by in terms of managerial style, someone of his temperament would be a disaster with young players these days.

Poyet would be an interesting choice, but I don't see it happening. He'd presumably want wages the FAI would be disinclined to go for.
    I think he’s currently on less than what we were paying Kenny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurcherLover View Post
    Barring his recent result, Irish fans would have been calling for Poyet to get sacked if he had the results with us that he had with Greece.
    id say he had the kind of campaign that would have saved SK position as manager tbh.

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Yeah, it's a bit of a harsh one I think.

Won the Nations League (third tier - but that wasn't his fault) with five wins out of six.

Outperformed us in every way in the World Cup group really. Obviously beat us home and away, but drew with France at home (who admittedly had already qualified) and lost 1-0 away with ten men. Only lost to a 93rd minute penalty against Holland at home. 3-0 away the only bad result. And if we're honest, though we kept France/Holland close on the scoreboard in both away games, we were outclassed.

Couple of poor friendly results (draws against Malta and Lithuania, defeat to Montenegro) but they'll get overlooked if competitive results are good.

13. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Results aside, look at the way Poyet has been acting recently essentially coming out and saying he's interested in one role while still in another role. He'll be taking the role solely for the money and not a care in the world about walking away from the current role he is in. Hes going An absolute loose cannon who would be of no benefit to us. Just my personal opinion though.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    872 Posts
    Results aside, look at the way Poyet has been acting recently essentially coming out and saying he's interested in one role while still in another role. He'll be taking the role solely for the money and not a care in the world about walking away from the current role he is in. Hes going An absolute loose cannon who would be of no benefit to us. Just my personal opinion though.
    Id agree, we only think hes a good manager cos he beat us twice, but thats not a high bar and the rest of his managerial career has been pretty mediocre. He'd be an entertaining personality in the short term but you could see it going pear shaped very quickly
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Steve looked into playing for us at one stage too
    Ferguson stopped him - he would have been classed as a foreign player and Ferguson told him he'd never play for Man U again if he declared for Ireland.

And wouldn't want him as Ireland manager
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 01/12/2023 at 5:22 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Interesting one - and not one I'd be adverse to

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Well ok, but you did specifically reference his results twice in your post and not his hobnobbing for a different job in fairness.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well ok, but you did specifically reference his results twice in your post and not his hobnobbing for a different job in fairness.
    Because some seem to think he would be a good candidate based on what he has acheived with Greece, which I can't understand. His competitive wins have come against teams all well lower ranked: Cyprus(103), Kosovo(109), The North, Gibraltar and us twice. He has also drew friendlies with Malta & Lithuania, been beaten by Montenegro and in NL games by Cyprus. Add these on top of someone who is using press conferences as a job search tool and this is someone who we want to come in take the Ireland roll? All the talk of change, development etc and Gus Poyet is the answer? He's as low down the pecking as the likes of Lennon etc for me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Because some seem to think he would be a good candidate based on what he has acheived with Greece, which I can't understand. His competitive wins have come against teams all well lower ranked: Cyprus(103), Kosovo(109), The North, Gibraltar and us twice. He has also drew friendlies with Malta & Lithuania, been beaten by Montenegro and in NL games by Cyprus. Add these on top of someone who is using press conferences as a job search tool and this is someone who we want to come in take the Ireland roll? All the talk of change, development etc and Gus Poyet is the answer? He's as low down the pecking as the likes of Lennon etc for me.
    I think a big part of it is that we have the recent evidence of our own eyes that he would be a big step up from SK given that he completely outclassed / out thought kenny in the two games in our group. Recency bias perhaps but it was a stark contrast.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I think a big part of it is that we have the recent evidence of our own eyes that he would be a big step up from SK given that he completely outclassed / out thought kenny in the two games in our group. Recency bias perhaps but it was a stark contrast.
    It's possible that he's quite an ordinary manager and he thoroughly outclassed Kenny. Those are not necessarily contraditions.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Of course, but surely the FAI aren't using Kenny as benchmark for the next manager.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's possible that he's quite an ordinary manager and he thoroughly outclassed Kenny. Those are not necessarily contraditions.
    don't disagree at all. just making the observation that that's a large part of the reason why people are looking favourably on poyet as a potential candidate.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Chris Wilder set to return to Sheff U.

They were incredibly well coached in their first season back in the EPL a few years ago. They had a really clear way of playing, the way they hunted in packs without the ball in particulat stood out. He's a candidate I'd have considered. Not your typical north of England club manager.