Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 117 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2573

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    From that list I think i'd prefer Sagnol or Hughton.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Out of interest, do the people who oppose Robbie Keane getting the job also oppose Bilic and Hudson?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Out of interest, do the people who oppose Robbie Keane getting the job also oppose Bilic and Hudson?
    Yes.

It's difficult because there are shades of grey and where does one stop? For example would I object to a Newcastle United player turning out for us? Probably not.

But to go there and live alongside the subjugation of people due to their religion or nationality or gender, and allow the sorts of regimes who engage in that kind of behaviour to rent your reputation is a line in the sand for me.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 08/06/2024 at 12:11 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I'd go for Hughton out of those five - he's Irish and has always had a bit of class about him. Too soon for O'Shea even if we hockey Portugal 0-0 in the next game.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Air gap is from computer security. It refers to a computer that's not on the network, and so is unhackable short of going to the building it's in and physically accessing it. Data is transferred to and from the air gapped computer by humans, who are informally known as the "sneakernet". Of course, in business lingo, it's just bullshirt to mean he was kept in the dark like the rest of us.
    On a non football related note, I can’t express strongly enough how much I detest corporate garbage speech like this. Gets my gag reflexes going.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts
    What i'm hearing is you have a sub-optimal pharyngeal-laryngeal harmonisation. There's a pill for it but, ah ... that punchline writes itself.

Of that shortlist, it would be Hughton for me. O'Shea could be a good manager some day, but he needs to grow from success and failure with a few clubs first.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    796 Posts
    FAI working off a five-man shortlist, mostly the same names they've been considering the past half year - Sagnol, Bilic, Hughton, Hudson and O'Shea.

So basically three options that have already said no, one that couldn't hack it in the MLS or the English non leagues and an FAI lapdog with no senior management experience other than a few friendlies with Ireland which we have played dreadfully in.

Great.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 08/06/2024 at 9:09 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    I was a Chelsea fan as a kid before they were good, hated how Ranieri was treated, kind of gave up on the whole premier league thing years ago. I still love Claudio, just seems like such a gent. Damien Duff was also his mam's favourite footballer which is a random anecdote I don't even know why I remember. I doubt there's any chance he'd ever be interested in a country at our current level, but he could do the Trap thing, and swan in a couple times a month, definitely not what Irish football as a whole needs, but also, would I absolutely say no if he was interested?

I love John O' Shea, but I also don't think he should get the job yet, I desperately don't want it to become another Staunton situation. Maybe John really does know what he's doing, but honestly that Hungary performance was crap, and we only won because they really did not care. We need way more evidence than good vibes and 4 friendlies.

It was lovely to win, great to see Idah and Troy score, all that good stuff, is… good, but I'm also not sure we learned much, or that we will learn much from playing Portugal either, especially given they played 2 games in a week already, and this is their 3rd and final one right before the tournament starts. We'll know more after the game obviously, and I'd love to feel positive about the whole thing, but there's a big air of desperation about the place and we must not just jump at John because we don't know what we're doing

I also feel incredibly strongly that we can't appoint Keane. He actually has a better CV than John now after what he did, but between where he choose to manage, what he had to say about it, and even sitting on a massive contract while the FAI was insolvent, has massively damaged how I think about him as a person. I hate that I feel that way, but I do. Maybe I'd feel differently if he made a statement, or after some time passes…

Legality is not equal to morality and all that.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

Lads maybe Im slow, but I just dont get it... What is with the RTE agenda to get O'Shea the job? Can someone explain it?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    796 Posts
    A lot of these people probably don't actually care that much about the national team. To them it's secondary to a club team or the domestic league or whatever. They're probably just sick of hearing about it and want the position filled so just give the lazy answer. It doesn't matter to them really if it doesn't work out. Also a lot of people aren't that bright, the "give it to xxxxxx to the end of the season" types that always come out of the woodwork whenever manager roles come up etc.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post

Lads maybe Im slow, but I just dont get it... What is with the RTE agenda to get O'Shea the job? Can someone explain it?
    Again it's the " just give it" mantra

Jesus it's more important than any junior ministry

" Just give it" no thanks

Can we please have a qualified candidate please

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

I suspect behind the scenes the FAI have been pushing RTE to get their pundits to back O'Shea for the gig just so they have an excuse to hire him and claim it's a man they are happy with and not because they know as well as we do that they have no-one. I mean come on, how can you be slamming Kenny for months/years and then be 100% behind O'Shea based on what we've seen over the last 4 games? It's so obvious these pundits are being given scripts to read off and I just feel embarrassed for these pundits as its clear even they don't believe the guff they are saying.

We all know O'Shea is going to be appointed the manager, its just worth keeping in mind that this is because they never had anyone to begin with and not the BS excuse the FAI will conveniently come up with, my money is on "We ArE iMpReSsEd WiTh ThE pRoGrEsS" or something along those lines, its all nonsense.

Just look at the performances, do the players honestly look like they are playing for him....just look at the injury list for this window, like I've said previously do you think these players would be "injured" if we had a Euros coming up? They just dont want to show up to camp which sums everything up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    A lot of these people probably don't actually care that much about the national team. To them it's secondary to a club team or the domestic league or whatever. They're probably just sick of hearing about it and want the position filled so just give the lazy answer. It doesn't matter to them really if it doesn't work out. Also a lot of people aren't that bright, the "give it to xxxxxx to the end of the season" types that always come out of the woodwork whenever manager roles come up etc.
    That's my issue with RTE's punditry. They put their mates first and the interests of Irish football 2nd.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Since right after the Hungary win, from Didi Hamman losing the run of himself, I've seen a whole bunch of ex pro's jump for O' Shea to get it, a bit too easily and uncritically, and you would worry they're setting their pal up for a fall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Since right after the Hungary win, from Didi Hamman losing the run of himself, I've seen a whole bunch of ex pro's jump for O' Shea to get it, a bit too easily and uncritically, and you would worry they're setting their pal up for a fall.
    Im not worried about what they are doing to their pal, Im worried about the rest of us having to suffer through it for the next 2 years.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Again it's the " just give it" mantra

Jesus it's more important than any junior ministry

" Just give it" no thanks

Can we please have a qualified candidate please
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cawley
    Cawley added that the Ireland players' vocal backing for O'Shea would make his appointment a viable one for the FAI.

"He's obviously well liked. I'd be a bit like Eoin (Doyle) at this stage, purely because of the candidates that they're suggesting could come in," he said.

"I would be of the view, just give it to John O'Shea and let him get on with it and work with the players because no matter who comes in it's going to be a struggle.

"But at least if he has a relationship built up with those players already and they seem to like him, that that will stand for something and that they can work with him, they're happy to work with him and they want to get on with it."
    It's not really a great argument, is it?

The players want him - but the players will back whoever's in charge at any given time. The players wanted Stephen Kenny.

"No matter who comes in it's going to be a struggle" - probably true, but all the more reason to try find someone who can maximise results/performances.

"He's well liked" - I mean, good for him, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Im not worried about what they are doing to their pal, Im worried about the rest of us having to suffer through it for the next 2 years.
    Haha, for sure. I know people who reach levels of achievement like he has, must have incredible self belief, but this is one hell of a big swing to take for yourself as a real first time job, say he got it and goes badly, he is done before he's even begun.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    It's not really a great argument, is it?

The players want him - but the players will back whoever's in charge at any given time. The players wanted Stephen Kenny.

"No matter who comes in it's going to be a struggle" - probably true, but all the more reason to try find someone who can maximise results/performances.

"He's well liked" - I mean, good for him, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.
    I mean do the players really want him, the body language of players in each of the 4 games and overall performances suggest otherwise...

Do clowns like Cawley not realise that hiring O'Shea and Kenny, managers clearly not ready for this level, are a big reason why we are struggling? This whole "give it to O'Shea because we'll struggle regardless" is the attitude of someone who clearly doesn't care about the team going forward. If he cared he'd want the best man for the job not essentially a "just get it over with" attitude.

Correct, O'Shea is well liked by the players he used to play with...like I said previously the performances on the field tell a different tale.

And like I said in a previous post this all feels like a set up for O'Shea to get the job using RTE as a tool of influence. It's bordering on propaganda at this point lacking in any sort of logic or reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Haha, for sure. I know people who reach levels of achievement like he has, must have incredible self belief, but this is one hell of a big swing to take for yourself as a real first time job, say he got it and goes badly, he is done before he's even begun.
    But the point is that he's already done badly. It's rare you get a chance to trial a manager before hiring him full time. He's had 4 games and he's shown an incredible lack of ability to learn from one game to the next. We been tactically inflexible and tactically naive, especially against Portugal. He's shown no ability to adjust anything, expect sub one similar player for another. Never once tried to get the top goalscorer in the Championship playing through the middle instead of out wide. I could go on and on.

I was open minded with him after the Belgium game, but I don't know how anyone could now have watched all 4 games and think he should even be discussed for the role full time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Why get rid of Kenny if the next option is O'Shea? Because is there any material difference in our approach to games with O'Shea compared to Kenny's last year in charge. The writing was on the wall for Kenny after Greece away and the team progressively lost shape in the games that followed. We have regained a more compact shape with O'Shea and he has brought back in some older heads, but otherwise we are playing as we did under Kenny's last year in charge when O'Shea was an assistant coach and having direct involvement in how the team plays. Giving O'Shea the job after Kenny is akin to how O'Shea game manages. We change personnel but keep doing the same thing that isn't working.

25. Thanks From: