Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gibraltar V Republic of Ireland - Monday, 16th October 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Chewing gum for the eyes

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Portugal lead 4-0 and its not even half time. This means now that if Slovakia win in Luxembourg Ireland are officially eliminated.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    And get rid of Kenny for the next two games.. this is terrible

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Fairly par for the course. Could have had a few more. After the disappointment of Greece it’s a relief that they at least look comfortable.

I was on holiday for the Greece game so haven’t watched it back. Can’t say I was too sad to have missed it when I saw the result. Would have had a decent view of Iceland v Luxembourg from the hotel, but spent the evening on a fruitless search for the northern lights instead! Altogether a disappointing Friday night!!

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    It's weird that I find myself rooting for Slovakia in the last game as it will seal our fate meaning there's no excuse for Kenny to stay on after tonight.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    very much the air of a friendly. a lot of playing at walking pace which has been a bit of a feature of the kenny regime. there doesn't seem much if any desire for further goals but they may come in the last 20.

Gibraltar seem worse than usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Irrelevant to tonight but Belgium Sweden game abandoned after two fans (Swedes?) were shot dead. It appears to be outside the stadium and before kickoff but the news is unclear and is breaking...

(some reports say it was an Islamic State attack)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Irrelevant to tonight but Belgium Sweden game abandoned after two fans (Swedes?) were shot dead. It appears to be outside the stadium and before kickoff but the news is unclear and is breaking...
    The news is the fans are being forced to remain in the stadium for safety reasons as the killer is still at large.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Mikey Johnston gets MOTM... Doherty might feel a bit hard done by, a goal and 2 assists...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I just hope this win doesn't go to their heads.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Absolutely certain to beat Holland now.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Gus sent off in Athens this evening ,the Dutch pretty much guaranteed to qualify now ……
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    If only we could play the Flying Gibbies ten times a year lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    I remember that match.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Tonight was fine, against a crap team we did what had to be done, but even within us winning you could clearly see some of the things that have caused us trouble against better teams.

Duffy has no business being the main receiver of the ball from the goalkeeper and bring it into midfield. When its not being carried forward and hes looking to pass it, hes not capable of picking a good pass, but also more importantly theres no midfielder looking to receive it and be positive. Ball goes into Cullen, Cullen usually has his back to goal, ball goes back to Duffy or other defender, pass around back and repeat into midfield. Now tonight Cullen had more time so he did more often turn and try to pass forward, but he was poor too. Its all so slow and predicable. So often in the Greece game I was screaming at the tv for the lack of movement and cleverness from a midfielder to create space to receive the ball with a good body shape to get moving forward.... again tonight wasnt so bad because of the opposition, but you could still see it.

I think Cullen might be the most disappointing player of the whole campaign as he should be that ball receiver and distributor in midfield.

Again I know the subs were fine because of the result, but I didnt understand the reasoning of them either. Ebosele might not be the messiah, but he an exciting young player playing Serie A, why not give him 30 mins. Id like to have seen more of Sykes. Id like to have seen Smallbone in the deep midfield role, Omobamidele as the ball playing defender instead of Duffy. Things that could have been tried for last half hour. I dont care that Robinson came on and scored against Gibraltar, in a full strength squad I dont think he'd even be picked.

All in all, I just hope that the work is been done behind the scenes now to plan for the next appointment and we dont have to wait 6 months for new manager after a long review process that the FAI seem to love
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    The game demonstrated the ineptitude of Kenny - despite winning, the players were so slow passing the ball and made little or no effort to cross the ball into the box. Kenny mantra is probably 'be patient' - but that translates to 'be slow'.

Our best player has been a periphery figure in both of the games in the last week, despite a goal at the start of the game. He was so frustrated that he had to come back into Ireland's half to try and get a touch of the ball - and I didn't count, but I would be surprised if he touched the ball more than ten times before he was taken off. You can't create a situation as a manager that you fail to get the ball to your best player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    (Strongly) disagree. We had the right approach, maybe a bit slow but we got in behind their defence on multiple occasions and caused havoc. The goals in the first half came from getting in behind. Kenny’s time is up but this is the template to play against this level of opposition. The simple launching of the ball into the box and playing the game in front of their defence always makes it a struggle. For example, the last time we played Gibraltar away we had 4 shots on target, 10 goal attempts in total, possession 63%, and scrapped a 1-0 win. Last night we had 12 shots on target, 27 attempts in total, possession 74%, and cruised to a 4-0 win.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    (Strongly) disagree. We had the right approach, maybe a bit slow but we got in behind their defence on multiple occasions and caused havoc. The goals in the first half came from getting in behind. Kenny’s time is up but this is the template to play against this level of opposition. The simple launching of the ball into the box and playing the game in front of their defence always makes it a struggle. For example, the last time we played Gibraltar away we had 4 shots on target, 10 goal attempts in total, possession 63%, and scrapped a 1-0 win. Last night we had 12 shots on target, 27 attempts in total, possession 74%, and cruised to a 4-0 win.
    We got behind the defence but didn't cross the ball - it happened way too infrequently - invariably the ball came back out to the midfield again, went back to the defenders etc. We were way too slow in getting the ball wide and in switching the play from side to side. Ogbene spent half his time with nobody near him and his arms in the air looking for a ball that never arrived. And I cannot agree that 'we had the right approach' - when your best player barely touched the ball all night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    And I cannot agree that 'we had the right approach' - when your best player barely touched the ball all night.
    Play him as a CB then?

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast