Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Greece - Friday, 13th October 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Weirdly the examiner reported last night that Jake O’Brien was likely to get a call up and BBC text says he has been called up…

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67017953
    What's really weird is that he's not in the squad list at the bottom of the page, probably copied from somewhere
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Kelleher injured apparently.
    McClean not in squad though he said his last appearance will be V NZ
    No mention of an injury on Liverpool's injured list for tonights game.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/liv...d-availability

Edit: Just seen it's happened in the last few hours.
    Last edited by weldoninhio; 05/10/2023 at 1:40 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Perhaps there'll be the usual about Szmodics
    There's more SS in Dublin 4 private schools.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    I had a whole rant written about the recall of Robinson while others omitted, but I deleted it cos honestly whats the fcuking point. Can we just move on to the next manager.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Bizarre injury history with Kelleher

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I had a whole rant written about the recall of Robinson while others omitted, but I deleted it cos honestly whats the fcuking point. Can we just move on to the next manager.
    I feel the same. I've tickets and I'm not travelling down. Better things to be doing than watching any more of Stephen Kenny's Ireland. I'll go to the NZ game, but that's out of respect for McClean.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    No surprise, but the exclusion of Szmodics is an inane act of self harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Is he maybe not qualified for us after all? Or is he sulking or does he have beef with Kenny for being omitted in some of last years squads? It makes no sense that he doesnt get a call-up and it never seems to get raised in the media.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    the aul arse splinters can be torture alright... (joke, joke, pool fans, chill)
    They are probably made of some sort of composite material these days ! ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Is he maybe not qualified for us after all? Or is he sulking or does he have beef with Kenny for being omitted in some of last years squads? It makes no sense that he doesnt get a call-up and it never seems to get raised in the media.
    Szmodics being left out doesnt particularly bother me, he plays as a striker more than midfielder and honestly despite his goals this season I dont think hes particularly good. That said, for the life of me I cant understand why its not the 1st question at the press conference today. Its a legitimate question to ask about why hes not involved at all.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Get your lazers out lads (joking) for the Greece game. Just watching AEK Athens play Ajax. Ajax win a penalty and the lad steps up. Nothing but Lazer beams in his face. Reminded me of when we played Greece a few months ago. What are FIFA going to do?

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    We may disagree about Kelleher, but I couldn't have put it better myself. This window is an utterly unnecessary coda to the most disastrous episode in Irish football history. We'd have been better off appointing a caretaker - a literal caretaker in a brown coat with a brazier and a flat cap, than keeping Kenny in post. Not even sure I can watch it

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Szmodics being left out doesnt particularly bother me, he plays as a striker more than midfielder and honestly despite his goals this season I dont think hes particularly good. That said, for the life of me I cant understand why its not the 1st question at the press conference today. Its a legitimate question to ask about why hes not involved at all.
    “I’ve been to see Blackburn quite a few times. The player that has caught my attention the most has been Andy Moran,”
    “He has been absolutely terrific in both Blackburn’s games last week. He was very close to being called up. Physically, when you step up to international football, as we found with some of the young players, physically it is a big jump."
    “Andy Moran will definitely have a good career for Ireland, he will definitely be a senior international player, he is going to be an excellent player. He is something different, a dribbler from midfield who opens up the game and someone I’m really impressed with. Sammie Szmodics is obviously a versatile player; he played centre-forward the other day, he plays in midfield, he plays on the left. He is unfortunate."
    “We just decided, really… he’s not going to start the game. I felt, not to make any changes in relation to new players coming into the squad. I know he has probably played more than, say, Callum Robinson, who has only come back recently. But Callum knows exactly how we play, we’ve three days to prepare for the game against Greece and we want to make sure that everyone knows exactly where we are. I just don’t want any more changes because we have had a lot of change.”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    “But Callum knows exactly how we play, we’ve three days to prepare for the game against Greece and we want to make sure that everyone knows exactly where we are. I just don’t want any more changes because we have had a lot of change.”
    What an utterly idiotic quote from Kenny. Calum knows exactly how we play. We lose! And of course, let’s not have any more change, it’s all going swimmingly. This has got to be the end.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    “I’ve been to see Blackburn quite a few times. The player that has caught my attention the most has been Andy Moran,”
    “He has been absolutely terrific in both Blackburn’s games last week. He was very close to being called up. Physically, when you step up to international football, as we found with some of the young players, physically it is a big jump."
    “Andy Moran will definitely have a good career for Ireland, he will definitely be a senior international player, he is going to be an excellent player. He is something different, a dribbler from midfield who opens up the game and someone I’m really impressed with. Sammie Szmodics is obviously a versatile player; he played centre-forward the other day, he plays in midfield, he plays on the left. He is unfortunate."
    “We just decided, really… he’s not going to start the game. I felt, not to make any changes in relation to new players coming into the squad. I know he has probably played more than, say, Callum Robinson, who has only come back recently. But Callum knows exactly how we play, we’ve three days to prepare for the game against Greece and we want to make sure that everyone knows exactly where we are. I just don’t want any more changes because we have had a lot of change.”
    A rambling word salad of absolute nonsense. As Ive said numerous times I dont particularly rate Szmodics but you'd think a little bit of self preservation would come in to play for Kenny. Call him up, have a look at him in training and who knows he might be better than you think. But then to add the crap about Robinson knowing how we play etc is just b0ll0cks of the highest order. We arent prime Barcelona or Man City where its so different that an adjustment period might be needed. Just go out and play football ffs, put best players on pitch and play.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    He doesn't actually answer the question he was asked either.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    What an utterly idiotic quote from Kenny. Calum knows exactly how we play. We lose! And of course, let’s not have any more change, it’s all going swimmingly. This has got to be the end.
    It just goes to show that Kenny is quite happy with the way we're playing and has no plans to change.

His removal can't come soon enough IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Kenny talking earlier about Robinson knows how we play etc.... in the Dutch game Sinclair Armstrong came into squad for 1st time and yet came on the pitch when Aaron Connolly didn't. That was kinda strange in itself, but how do u then justify leaving players out and saying Robinson knows our game

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Kenny talking earlier about Robinson knows how we play etc.... in the Dutch game Sinclair Armstrong came into squad for 1st time and yet came on the pitch when Aaron Connolly didn't. That was kinda strange in itself, but how do u then justify leaving players out and saying Robinson knows our game
    The method is hard to distinguish, and things are not going well but he seems stubborn to certain changes or evolution, even in the last chance saloon, which he is lucky to still be in, there is a reluctance to roll the dice, when he actually has nothing to lose by doing so. Hendrick was picked last time when not playing but not this time when he is playing ( I don't want Hendrick there but can't see how these decisions are made ) Parrott, he picked when things were ropey in the players career & was rewarded, but he has two from two in Holland at the moment & isn't selected. Omobamidele isn't playing or even in the Forest matchday squads, but he's in and players playing week in week out are not, McGuinness, McNally, McLoughlin. Omobamidele didn't make the previous squad and hasn't played since, Lenihan did and has played since, so what has changed ? Johnston doesn't play, Robinson does recently but hasn't scored. Szmodicz plays and scores, Moran we should be glad he's doing so well in a first loan and looking to bed him in immediately as what he does is what we struggle so badly at.

I don't see any method or consistency in how its being done. & then there's the spiel about knowing the system & how we play today, when as you say Armstrong was put straight in from the 21s V Holland.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 06/10/2023 at 9:46 PM.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

30. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast