Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Netherlands - Sunday, 11th September 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Republic of Ireland V Netherlands - Sunday, 11th September 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Travers, Keane, Stevens, and Lenihan all drop out of squad.

O’Leary, Doherty Omobamidele, and Sinclair all added to match day squad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    So is poor old Travers 4th choice??!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    So is poor old Travers 4th choice??!
    Injured.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I hope this is Kenny's last game in charge for many reasons. One that seems overlooked is that he has created/supported a culture in the squad where losing is accepted as grand as long as the ball is knocked around a bit. The older players and a couple of the younger ones show real fight but there seem to be plenty who are happy enough to just go along and seem unfussed by the terrible results. These are usually his most ardent supporters in the media, Doherty as a senior player probably most vocal and guilty of this attitude.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I hope this is Kenny's last game in charge for many reasons. One that seems overlooked is that he has created/supported a culture in the squad where losing is accepted as grand as long as the ball is knocked around a bit. The older players and a couple of the younger ones show real fight but there seem to be plenty who are happy enough to just go along and seem unfussed by the terrible results. These are usually his most ardent supporters in the media, Doherty as a senior player probably most vocal and guilty of this attitude.
    I agree that the squad now’s views a noble defeat as no big deal. They just dust themselves down and churn out the same guf to the press.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I also find the comments from Kenny like in this window that they are "targetting four points" which then changes to "sure we were never going to beat France, only messing there lads. The real target is Holland" disingenuous to the point of being insulting.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I also find the comments from Kenny like in this window that they are "targetting four points" which then changes to "sure we were never going to beat France, only messing there lads. The real target is Holland" disingenuous to the point of being insulting.
    Kenny is trying to do " " Spin-Speak " " ~ ~ He isn't any good at that either.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I presume you're exaggerating for effect and he didn't really say he was targetting four points from this window?

(I know there was all the stuff about hoping to win the Nations League group and to qualify for the Euros)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I presume you're exaggerating for effect and he didn't really say he was targetting four points from this window?

(I know there was all the stuff about hoping to win the Nations League group and to qualify for the Euros)
    I don't think it came from Kenny himself but that message was certainly relayed by at least one squad member. When we blew up in the world cup qualifiers the messaging was similar, the target was always Germany.

He's out of road now bar a win tonight anyway. Surely.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    He's out of road now bar a win tonight anyway. Surely.
    He won't quit tonight short of maybe an unlikely record defeat. Realistically, he'll probably see out the campaign anyway unless he loses badly to Greece in Dublin. When is his contract up?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He won't quit tonight short of maybe an unlikely record defeat. Realistically, he'll probably see out the campaign anyway unless he loses badly to Greece in Dublin. When is his contract up?
    I had understood there is some break clause built in after this window but i may be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    I've heard various rumours about a break clause. I'm not sure it's not wishful thinking from some folks.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think the FAI are reported to have set him a target from these two games. I think he’s toast regardless. Greece away was the one that everything was building up to imho, as an indication that the project was making progress. It was a disaster.

I still think there have been some good parts to his tenure and some valid mitigants when things went wrong but the good bits were never built upon and we lost control of games against lesser opponents too often.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think the FAI are reported to have set him a target from these two games. I think he’s toast regardless. Greece away was the one that everything was building up to imho, as an indication that the project was making progress. It was a disaster.

I still think there have been some good parts to his tenure and some valid mitigants when things went wrong but the good bits were never built upon and we lost control of games against lesser opponents too often.
    If he wins tonight and beats Greece at home then that could set up the last game to give us a chance if Greece take a point at home off the Dutch and a massive performance away to the Dutch could be there for us for a win. Obviously need to win tonight

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    If we are still in it mathematically with a spirited draw will he get a stay of execution until November and the search begins in the meantime? That assumes the search isn't underway...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Is it worth noting Maccabi Tel Aviv have started with 8 wins and 2 draws from their first 10 games? 30-6 is their goal difference record in that time.

And maybe the Israeli league isn't high-profile enough or high-paying enough that the Ireland job mayn't be a slightly more attractive option?

It would be gas if Robbie Keane were the successor, having been paid for nothing for the last while. But he has to be in the frame I think.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Would money be that big of an issue for Keane? Hasn't he been investing in blockbuster movies, and properties and all sorts of rich people stuff for two decades at this stage.

22. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Just realised there isn't a ticketing thread these days! I'll find something. I've never seen the Dutch, oddly enough.

It's really an awful kick off time for a match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Would money be that big of an issue for Keane? Hasn't he been investing in blockbuster movies, and properties and all sorts of rich people stuff for two decades at this stage.
    Maybe, maybe not. I guess I'm assuming he's on less than an English Championship manager's wage in Israel (for right or wrong), and we're generally reckoning they're out of reach of the FAI's budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think national pride would be as big, if not bigger, a motivating factor as money for Robbie to take the Irish job. I’d say the current salary would be plenty enough for Robbie, given his current profile.

Thanks for the stats above PS, had lost track of that appointment. Doing well it seems but maybe needs a larger sample size and possibly a level up (to avoid the same treatment as SK got in some quarters).

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast