Page 64 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2267

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Ah right, I had you down as an Edinburger for some reason. Agreed the two hour journey would put lads off for a gretna game alright, especially coming so soon after midweek.

Personally I'll back the manager as long as I think we are making progress. Last season it didn't look like we were, in the league at least. I think we're better in the SPL this time around and our European efforts will end up making up a lot of peoples minds.
    The dude abides....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Shocking performance from Celtic today. A midfield full of pussy cats. How we had 9 players booked is beyond me - the thing we lacked most was players prepared to stick the boot in. Rangers fully deserved their win.

Hibs slipped up with a defeat to Motherwell, they could have gone 2 points clear at the top.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    How we had 9 players booked is beyond me
    Most of the team are poor tacklers.

The Celtic team isn't suited to games like today. Interesting though that I don't think Boruc made one save.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Most of the team are poor tacklers.

The Celtic team isn't suited to games like today. Interesting though that I don't think Boruc made one save.
    Nope,he didnt, they took their chances we didn't but the difference was much more than that.

Not sure whay you mean by games like today, it wasnt like Rangers were putting it about that much, they just dominated the midfield. If you can't be up for a game against your nearest rivals then we'll have problems as more so than recent years these games will be the difference.

The 9 bookings cannot be attributed to 'poor tacklers' in my opinion

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Not sure whay you mean by games like today
    Gretna showed exactly how to beat us (I know they didn't win but they showed exactly how it's done). Don't give any player time on the ball. When Donati was playing in Serie A he had all the time in the world on the ball, as long as he kept a fair distance from the opposition goal. In the SPL, when he's in his own half he's being pressurised. It's a big change. It must be the only league in the world where a holding midfielder gets marked.

Someone like Andrea Pirlo would have been poor playing against that Rangers team today. We had 3 of those (of lesser quality) in the team in Sno, Naka and Donati. That doesn't mean they're poor players. Spain are a team of playmakers, look how they did in Windsor Park.

Rangers stood off a bit in the 2nd half and Celtic failed to take advantage but for most of the match they gave no space to any player to our players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Strachan out manouvred yet again. Had my own game but heard the first half on the radio and saw the highlights later. Nakamura doesn't "do" Old Firm games, proved beyond any doubt now. Brown wasn't fit and Donati didn't fancy it one bit. Add that to playing a left sided central defender at right back and bringing Sno in from the cold.

There was only one winner after 15 minutes because that's when they started to lose the midfield battle.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Nakamura doesn't "do" Old Firm games, proved beyond any doubt now.
    Away games. He usually plays well at home against them. Put 2 players on Naka and you can restrict him to short passes backwards for the most part.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Anybody care to break a habit of a lifetime and have a punt on Rangers at 9/2 to win. Or what about Shakhtar at 7/1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeah I'm definitely backing Shakhtar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Fecking knew I should have had Rangers down for one of my 4 Game Draws instead of CSKA v Inter!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I fear another 3-0 result tonight for the Celts. Had Rangers down for a draw last night funnily enough.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Isn't conceeding 3 goals away the norm for Celtic in the CL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Normally yes. Benfica have injury problems so this is actually Celtics best chance in a while of getting their first away CL win. Stranger things have happened but if they give away an early goal then I can definately see them crumbling again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It could have been 3 - 0, probably should have been.
    I thought Rui Costa was too old even for Milan, he still has some juice in his tank, some player when he is ársed.
    Pity Celtic don't have a big frontman like Cardoza, I suppose €9m fee answers that one.
    Can't say even tough luck for the late winner, Celtic looked deadbeat in the last 10 minutes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    We have big front men, Killen (too early to tell if he'll cut the mustard), Venegoor of Hesselink, 'sicknote' hasn't done anything of note since the game at Old Trafford in last years CL.

The defeat was very hard to take, not because Benfica didnt deserve the win, hitting the woodwork twice + all the chances and posession they had. But we defended very well and the 87th bleeding minute....aggggggghhhhh.

We needed our midfielders to hold on to the ball better just do some basic passing and keep posession to give the lads at the back a breather. we didnt do that and so the inevitable happened.

From an Irish perspective, McGeady did do well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    and bringing Sno in from the cold.
    Yeah he really could'nt stand the heat, totally melted ...sorry

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Assuming Celtic win tonight then a top 2 place might be theirs if Milan beat Shakhtar.
    I have to say McGeady's standing has risen. He had 2 awful games for Ireland, Stan had gambled big on him to deliver but for Celtic against the same Czech player he did allright. This is probably his most important season. Looks like whatever Strachan is doing with him is working.
    Apart from Benfica fluffing chances in the last game I thought Celtic's real undoing was just running out of gas in the last 10 minutes. I'd expect that won't be a problem at home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    After that heartbreaking winner for Stuttgart against Rangers it was some justice that Celtic gained a late victory.
    It looks that Rangers may be in a better position to get through to the next round.
    My MOM last night was Boruc, though he didn´t have much to do he looked to be on top of his game. That almost save at full stretch from point blank range was a magnificent example of his ability.
    Patient build up play by the Celts in the 2nd half against a better quality team like Shahktar paid off after a moment of brilliance from McGeady.
    They almost deserved it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Great way to win a game, brilliant piece of skill from Mcgeeady to create the opening (one of many good balls he put over on the night). Bit fortunate with the finish but we'll take it, great atmosphere!!

Still need a point in Milan and well we all no what happens with Celtic on our travels....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Poor performance by the Celts last night but thankfully Shakhtar were below par. Hopefully that goal gives Donati a boost, he hasn't been looking too good recently. Jarosik has looked excellent recently, I don't know where he has got the heart from. Even against Aberdeen he was all over the pitch. Brown I thought was involved more than anyone last night and did very well. That footwork to beat 2 or 3 players was incredible.

Page 64 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast