Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

SPL Discussion Thread

As well as the usual Foot.ie and forum-specific rules, the following rules apply to this thread:
    1. All discussion on Scottish football is to be confined to this thread, with no exeptions. Other SPL threads will be merged into this thread, or binned.
    2. This thread shall strick strictly to football matters. No politics or religion are allowed to be discussed. Any hint of sectarianism will be severely punished.
    3. No goading or baiting of people involved in this thread by those with no interest in Scottish football. Posts by those with no interest must be relevant and constructive.
    4. The same principal for the whole forum applies. Freedom of choice to support who one likes. Be that Celtic, Hibs, Rangers or Stirling Albion. Any attack or criticism on someone's choice of club will be punished.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 08/03/2006 at 1:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say it's very nice SPL threads are allowed again. I'm sure (I hope) the ones bringing on politics learnt their lesson

BTW, my prefered team (not really a fan, but if I may chose one it'd) is Inverness CT. Followed them via the press and internet since they were still in 3rd division, and I hope to catch a game of them sooner or later in their great idyllic ground next to a loch...

However, Belfast seems to have no ICT fanclub. We got Rangers and Celtic fanclubs obviously, we got a fanclub for Airdrie but not for Inverness (not that I know off anyway)
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    However, Belfast seems to have no ICT fanclub.
    There's an idea for you Gerrit, start your own one
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Isn't going to be rather difficult to follow different threads when there is only one thread?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here's a wee story. Factory team Ferranti Thistle were elected to the Scottish League during the summer of 1974. They had been the Kings of Non League football for years in that part of the Country and it was inevitable that they would make the Scottish League. They joined the Old Scottish Division Two for the 1974/75 season. Relocating to Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh they entered the League as Meadowbank Thistle.
    The League restructrued in 1975 to Premier First and Second Divisions initially.
    They were at home in the Athletics stadium there for approximately 25 years. Then their new owners managed to acquire a site at Almondvale on the outskirts of Livingston and became Livingston Thistle. The new location also saw success on the field and they eventually joined the Premier Division in Scotland( which has since acquired a Third Division- making 4 in total!)
    Their story is a model of how a smallish successful non-League can become successful on a certain level without completely losing it's soul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Eh not quite.

Livi aren't quite the beautiful success story CTID spoke of. As far as I'm aware there were generally in the lower reaches and then got a massive cash injection which propelled them to the premier division.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Their story is a model of how a smallish successful non-League can become successful on a certain level without completely losing it's soul.
    Cant say I agree with you on that one.

Livi are basically the scottish version of MK Dons, they were in administration for most of the past year, they have pitiful home attendances compared to other teams in the central belt, Pierce Flynn only bought them because he couldnt afford Celt!c, they're bottom of the SPL, odds on to go down, and former supporters of Meadowbank no longer support them because they moved out of Edinburgh.

They have had some success, but it looks like its behind them now. And really they have completely lost their soul.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm delighted for Hearts.
    Great start to the season.
    Hope they can keep it up.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    General SPL stuff? Okay then, more worrying news from the league is that Hibs midfield/ Forward Derek Riordan is tipped to join Cardiff before the transfer deadline. Riordan is one of a current crop of execelent young players at Hibs, who are in the UEFA Cup this year. Yet he feels that either financial (or less likely) career wise he would be better off at a team who will at best be scrambling around the mid reaches of the English second tier.

If sides like Hibs cannot hold on to their best young talent, and financially are struggling to compete financially with a club who are in the mess that Cardiff are, then Scottish football's hegomony is assured for longer then the big two could possibly hope for and that isn't even in their interests.

Also lets face it, what does it say about the primary aims of the player?
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    kris boyd of kilmarnock is supposedly joining cardiff too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I'm delighted for Hearts.
    Great start to the season.
    Hope they can keep it up.
    It's a nice change but they won't. Still llight years away from the Old Firm in terms of revenue and staff. The wheels will come off soon enough but they should without a doubt, finish third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Just saw that Jim Duffy left Dundee even though they are top of the First. Thoughts anyone?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Who?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler
    Pierce Flynn only bought them because he couldnt afford Celt!c
    Celtic isn't banned anymore so you dont have to replace i with ! .
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorge
    Who?
    Two time Dundee manager and a former coach of Gianluca Vialli at Chelsea.

Frank, he's put up with so much crap at Dundee the 2nd time around with the collapsed finances at the club. It's a wonder he stuck right through so long. No idea why he left. Something else on the horizon? I rate him quite highly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I don't think hearts will fall away after this season the way many are predicting. Romanov has ambitions with the club and given the type of appointments he's made and allowed George Burley to make it shows a man who is sensible in the financial management of a club which prior to his acquisition last year had debts ten times the nett worth of the club (St£15 million for a club that was valued at just £1.5 million).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu
    I don't think hearts will fall away after this season the way many are predicting. Romanov has ambitions with the club and given the type of appointments he's made and allowed George Burley to make it shows a man who is sensible in the financial management of a club which prior to his acquisition last year had debts ten times the nett worth of the club (St£15 million for a club that was valued at just £1.5 million).
    They are and will no doubt continue to improve and close the gap but they are still a few years away from challenging and that wil only happen if the Old Firm stagnate and Hearts continue to improve.

The problem for them now is that (A), The Old Firm will not allow them to get close to them because as soon as they look as if they will, they will just go out and spend a few million and (B), Romanov can invest as much as he likes but he is bound to want a financial return from his investment at some stage. He won't be able to attract the calibre of players the Old Firm can either so technically he's flogging a dead horse and going down the Livingston and Dundee route IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    In fairness the Livi and Dundee comparisons are unfair. Neither of those have fan bases of note and would never have the financial capability in the long run to succeed.

I'm not saying Hearts will challenge the Old Firm, although perhaps long-term, but Romanov could make a return, although not a great one, on his investment even without breaking the top two given the way he's spending his money. Probably the reason he brought in someone like Burley in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I think it's a mistake to write Hearts off. The Old Firm have no divine right to the title and both teams are not looking hot this season. I haven't seen Hearts but they sound solid. 4 wins out of 4, 2 goals conceded, 3 clean sheets and a good few goals scored. They've also beaten Aberdeen who beat Rangers. In 1998 Hearts went almost the whole way with the Old Firm. Stu is right, Romanov is taking care to totally restructure the club. I have no idea what the hell he's up to. People are saying he wants a foothold in the UK to launch his bank there. Crowds at Tynecastle are bordering on if not indeed full house. Away support is up massively. What sounds dodgy to me is they have a lot of their new signings on loan deals.

Livingston are indeed a pretty souless club. They have a neat little ground in Almonvale but for them it is even oversized and only so big due to the new defunct 10,000 obligation on promoted sides. Livy are formerly Meadowbank Thistle but since their rebranding (or maybe a year after?) they got big financial backing and flew up the leagues. I remember them having David Bingham a decent Premier League quality striker when in Division 2. Livy just can't get the crowds and there is more atmosphere on the moon than Almovale. They almost bankrupted themselves recently but Flynn came to their rescue. This season they look miles off the place. Looks like they'll be going down. Tough first assignment for his managerial career for Paul Lambert. He's even thinking of coming out of retirement. They just pulled Paul Dalgleish out of retirement the other day!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Have seen Hearts a few times this season. Make no mistake - they will challenge this season. They absolutely tore Aberdeen apart on Saturday, could have been 5 or 6. Like Poor Student, I think the only thing that may hold them back is the quantity of loan signings and a possible Romanov-Burley argument. They've always had a solid centre half pairing in Pressley and Webster. Good keeper in Gordon. And now Hartley is on fire playing with the irrepressible Rudi Skacel (You have gotta see this guy!).

All in all. its great for the SPL and I can't wait for the first Hearts - Old Firm game. Living here, it does get boring with just Celtic and Rangers. At least now, there is a credible challenger.
    JERRY: But are you still master of your domain?
    GEORGE: I am king of the county. You?
    JERRY: Lord of the manor.

Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast