Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114
Results 2,261 to 2,267 of 2267

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It's reflective of the SPL is that a manager can win five trophies in two seasons and yet no-one is surprised when he resigns: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...h-neil-lennon/

Nasty comedown for Celtic this season, after a decade of being the only game in town really. Is it Lennon in particular, is it the COVID situation, or has the team just lost desire?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    He was probably under more pressure than usual this year as they would have broken their (shared) record of 9 consecutive titles with a league win. This was probably their biggest league season in a generation, and the title is over before the split. Though a 30-point swing on this time last year is huge. I think they were unlucky with covid earlier in the season, but ultimately the uncompetitiveness of Scottish football has played a part here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    they got sucked into complacency with all their domestic success given their only rivals were effectively out of the picture for about 6 or 7 years of the famous 9 in a row.
    as usual its the manager who takes the blame when some of the individual player performances this season were shocking

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Nasty comedown for Celtic this season, after a decade of being the only game in town really. Is it Lennon in particular, is it the COVID situation, or has the team just lost desire?
    Think the board have a lot to do with it as well. Could be seen early this season that they weren't up to it. For such an important season they could have sacked Lennon maybe when 10 points behind and hope a new manager gets them on a good run and they win their remaining games against Rangers which would have been enough.

Instead they pinched the pennies and waited for Lennon to resign. Covid could be a big reason for this but even pre-covid I don't think the fans were very keen on the board.

Important season I know but goes to show how spoilt some football fans are, will be a major surprise if someone outside the big 2 win that league once in my lifetime and if they do it will be a better feeling for their fans than any amount for Celtic/Rangers.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I remember both Dundee United and Aberdeen winning it but it was a long time ago.

Fans turning on the Board ??!! 9 league titles won in a row and various trebles. Did theyn think it would last forever ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It's a shame Celtic didn't self-destruct when Rangers were gone, just to give another team a moment in the sun: could have been a real Leicester City situation, with long-term growth, relatively speaking. As it is Rangers could well win a few in a row themselves now.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Enjoyed the Old Firm game on Wednesday. It just goes to show if you attack a team with pace and intensity, you never know what might happen. However, I thought Jotta was hopeless and kept giving the ball away or giving sloppy passes. McCoist sung his praises afterwards and I was wondering did he have some hidden agenda there Also enjoyed the Edinburgh derby the night before. I have a soft spot for Hibs but my team is Raith Rovers who recently got themselves in to trouble for signing David Goodwillie.

I enjoyed a video on YouTube where the host visits all the Scottish grounds although there is too much of the host I have to admit. Might be interesting to do a similar one for LoI grounds if there isn't one already.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.