Page 60 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2267

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's a wee bit corny though, if its Rangers you get the PR camera shot of Sean Connery and if its Celtic, Billy C or that Faces singer.
    Don't you mean simple minds?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I think he means Rod Stewart

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Oh ya, sorry before my time stutts . wasn't ronnie wood in that band as well, along with a few others?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Yes I was thinking of Rod Stewart.
    When it comes to fans, I'm a Communist.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Well that has to be one of the best games I've ever been at. Extra time was unbearable after the misses in the last ten mins of normal time. Then penelties, my god, my chest is still sore and my hands have barely stopped shaking since. Like Eirebhoy I had no confidence in any of the takers except Riordan. I thought Caldwell was Wilson too, thank god! I can't wait to watch it again on Celtic TV tonight, when I can sit down and enjoy it. Fair play to the lads who were in Genoa '90, that was the first shoot out i've been at and I hope it's the last, you just couldn't call it enjoyable when you are there.
    I though McGeady was man of the match till he tired in ET, some people will never stop giving him stick, but he never hid (scott brown maybe did) was always hungry for the ball, the ball stuck to his boots and again created some clear cut opportunities for his team. Stuttgart88, I thought Scot McDonald had a fabulous game last night, the only Celtic fans he has still to convince are those still bitter over his role in us losing the league at Motherwell a few seasons ago ( had a row on the bus home last night with a lad over this very point!).
    Did the telly show the row between naylor and Boruc? It wasn't far off Bowyer and Dyer(?) a couple of years ago!
    Unbelievable night and amazing atmosphere again - hope it came across well on the box. CL draw coming up in a few mins.....
    The dude abides....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It's a serious dose of the deja vu's for Celtic in the draw
    Milan, Shaktar and Benfica

Maybe the Milan team are now, finally, once and for all, over the hill.

Strange that Benfica are the 2nd seeds now but were third seeds last year.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Unbelievable night and amazing atmosphere again - hope it came across well on the box. CL draw coming up in a few mins.....

Celtic have nothing to worry about though, they know all the teams some of them very well.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's a serious dose of the deja vu's for Celtic in the draw
    Milan, Shaktar and Benfica
    It shows you how many teams Celtic have played in Europe recently as you could put Celtic in Rangers group and say the same thing.

I doubt Milan are over the hill. Maldini probably won't play much but that's about it. The word is that Ronaldo has lost a lot of weight and is raring to go.

Benfica are weaker than last year. They sold Manuel Fernandes and Simao in the summer.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 30/08/2007 at 10:23 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I was kinda hoping for an English team. If Benfica are not stronger than last year there is a reasonable chance, as 2nd seeds go they were a good catch to get. Shakhtar are probably the toughest 4th ranked team you could get.
    The group will be tight. Desirable imo to have the first fixture against Milan

I don't fancy Rangers chances at all to go through. A home draw will their big Euro night.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Stuttgart88, I thought Scot McDonald had a fabulous game last night, the only Celtic fans he has still to convince are those still bitter over his role in us losing the league at Motherwell a few seasons ago ( had a row on the bus home last night with a lad over this very point!).
    Fair enough, I thought his finishing was poor but I thought he was still a mile ahead of Hesselink and Zurawski. I don't have Setanta so only see Celtic in the CL or SFA Cup, but neither has ever really impressed me. Larsson & Sutton in their prime would greatly enhance that team and I think the rest is taking shape very nicely.

I think it's a shame young Stokes didn't go up there. He'd have been played in his natural position and have found it easier to settle (easier home games against minnows), while at the same time gaining valuable big game exposure. Strachan would have been good for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Agreed. And the sad thing is he wanted to go to Celtic but his father wasn't happy with the offer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Great Game against Spartak for excitement, fabulous atmosphere, though technically I didn't think Celtic played that well, particularly in the first half.

Naylor got ripped a new a*rsehole 3 or 4 times in the first 20 minutes, which didnt give me a good feeling early on.

I was really pleased with McGeadys contribution and would have had him as our best player in 90 minutes, as someone mentioned,his final ball needs to improve on crosses but his control, taking on players, threaded through balls and working back all looked good to me. Unfortuantely far too many Celtic fans quick to give it 'ya feckin sanddancer' he's an easy target.

McDonald played poorly IMO. I quite like the look of him so far in his other games, and he finished his goal well, but he did miss 2 or 3 golden chances as did Naka in a minute spell, hence why I didn't fancy his chances in the penalty shootout, his head had already gone. Nut he 's great to watch overall.

I was disappointed with Scott Brown in the 90, he didn't seem to get too involved, though in ET he shone out which I guess proves he has the engine, I think he'll be a great player for us.

JVoH - was too immobile & ineffective on the night, though he did bang away his penalty after missing one in ET.

The draw brings up nothing we haven't seen before. We have to hope for 9 points at home and try and getting anything from the away games, something Im not too confident of us doing but we have to start learn from the past awful experiences of away games. I would be delighted if we could at least get a few draws away from home.

H4E - I see you still sound as bitter as ever, Killen, Connolly, Riordan. If Im not mistaken Im sure Connery was supposed to be a Celtic fan until his friendship with Murray blossomed and now he's at Ibrox every time a camera flashes. Thats the thing with celebrity fans - its all hor$hit, who cares.....
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I'm serious about Killen. Can't believe he's happy sitting on the bench at celtic, and he's fairly down the pecking order too. He's a better player than what he's settled for at celtic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Hibs4 ever, I take it you rate Killen so? I didn't pay too much heed to him in his half season last year(although obviously noted his goals ratio), and the cameo type appearance I saw of him in the celtic Killie game would never be enough to form a solid opinon of him( can't remember if he came on against Hearts), but he looked alright to me.
    But speaking to Hibs fans I meet around about the watering holes of Leith, no one seems too bothered he's off. I've spoken to one only, who thought he was a great player and everyone else has been fairly 'ah well, not too much of a loss'. And i don't think its Hibees not wanting to make me feel good about us taking another of their players, as they give plenty of stick over the likes of G. Caldwell and at the other end of the spectrum everyone raves about Scott Brown even though they are obviously disappointed to seem him go. I think they realise that's football though.

I expect Killen to be used intermittently this season. He could feature more( depending on unknowns like injuries/suspensions) but when he gets a chance he has to take it. That's the nature of the beast at Celtic. How can you blame him for jumping at a chance to further his career?

On the CL match the other night -I've watched it again and I retract what I said about McDonald having a great game. I still think he had a good game and will do just as good a job and probably a fair bit better than Miller(cheers Kenny - scored some vital goals) did last season, but the missed chances - well they are a strikers bread and butter and he has to be putting one on one's away. Conversely I thought Brown played better than I did on the night. I suppose I wanted him to be all action at the time but watching again he was calm and assured on the ball and generally used it well. A massively new experience for him after all.
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Scott Brown is DEFINITELY missed by Hibs fans, Caldwell definitely not.

Killen is 50/50 with Hibs fans on the various forums at the time he left, most were p**sed off with the way he left us, and his injury record is unreal. But his goal scoring before he got injured last season was brilliant, he was out for half the season and still finished 2nd or 3rd in goal scoring table.

As I said, its the way he left Hibs that has left sour taste with most Hibees

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Conversely I thought Brown played better than I did on the night.
    Still I think he can learn a few things from you

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Not convinced internet forums are the most representative source of a clubs fans opinions. However we'll see how he gets on over the course of a season - would be surprised if he makes a significant impact, more to do with the competition at Celtic and not on the lads ability which I've said I know little about.

On Caldwell - I actually think he's a better player than he's given credit for. He's no Kaiser but the the stick he gets is way out of proportion given what he's done wrong at Celtic IMO. Benfica away last year finished him in the eyes of many of our fans.
    I'm backing him for now - he'll probably have a woeful season and i'll wish I never typed the above.

Results in, no great surprises, glad I didnt head down to Easter Road which I briefly considered, haven't heard anything about the game yet but ICT are a miserable shower!
    The dude abides....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Still I think he can learn a few things from you
    You know what I mean
    But the 12th man was awesome!
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    Not convinced internet forums are the most representative source of a clubs fans opinions. However we'll see how he gets on over the course of a season - would be surprised if he makes a significant impact, more to do with the competition at Celtic and not on the lads ability which I've said I know little about.

On Caldwell - I actually think he's a better player than he's given credit for. He's no Kaiser but the the stick he gets is way out of proportion given what he's done wrong at Celtic IMO. Benfica away last year finished him in the eyes of many of our fans.
    I'm backing him for now - he'll probably have a woeful season and i'll wish I never typed the above.

Results in, no great surprises, glad I didnt head down to Easter Road which I briefly considered, haven't heard anything about the game yet but ICT are a miserable shower!

Hibs won 1-0, Fletcher after 2 minutes. Makalamby saved a penalty too

Fair few from our SC were over at it today, not a great match judging from the texts I've recieved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    Killen...

As I said, its the way he left Hibs that has left sour taste with most Hibees
    What? Because your club would only offer him a one-year contract and he wanted the extra security for his family of a longer deal? Heaven forbid!

Typical sanctimonious Hibee crap. I'd guarantee each and every one of you if in the same position would have done the same thing as Killen., Still, that won't stop the hand-wringing in Leith...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat