Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 114 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    Will you still call him "super" when he joins Celtic reserves in January?

PP

Yeah Yeah, keep reading the Daily Record Rag and dream on

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    If hisd performance against Celtic was anything to go by, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to sign him.

Both Hibs and Killie left it very late to get their winners on Sat, Im pleased that its keepng the top 5 positions still competitive. Hearts and Celtic dropped points which tightens it up a bit further.

Still confident Celtic can do it, Back 4 needs some serious re-organisation. It was shocking yesterday, whether its Keane or Du Wei or both, something needs to be done. Wallace still has a lot to learn in that position. Telfer, whilst I haven't been his biggest critic so far - he was woeful yesterday, Agathe must be worth a half, to see if he can come back in to the fold.

Rangers got a decent draw in the CL. Heres hoping that Villareal can do them a favour and knock them out before any more of their fans start coming out with the "we can do a liverpool", "I've already booked my holidays for the final" nonsense............
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    If hisd performance against Celtic was anything to go by, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to sign him.

Both Hibs and Killie left it very late to get their winners on Sat, Im pleased that its keepng the top 5 positions still competitive. Hearts and Celtic dropped points which tightens it up a bit further.

Still confident Celtic can do it, Back 4 needs some serious re-organisation. It was shocking yesterday, whether its Keane or Du Wei or both, something needs to be done. Wallace still has a lot to learn in that position. Telfer, whilst I haven't been his biggest critic so far - he was woeful yesterday, Agathe must be worth a half, to see if he can come back in to the fold.

Rangers got a decent draw in the CL. Heres hoping that Villareal can do them a favour and knock them out before any more of their fans start coming out with the "we can do a liverpool", "I've already booked my holidays for the final" nonsense............
    Deek wasn't much better for this match either Junior, he was actually dropped to the bench, but Garry O'Connor got injured in warm up. But as Mogga once said, no matter how bad he's playing he'll always get you a goal.

Both Hibs goals made by Sproule, the kid is absolute quality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Telfer, whilst I haven't been his biggest critic so far - he was woeful yesterday, Agathe must be worth a half, to see if he can come back in to the fold.
    Agathe will never play full back for Celtic again unfortunately. Virgo has been playing right back for the reserves so he's next in line. Strachan see's Agathe as a winger which he hasn't been in a long time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Agathe will never play full back for Celtic again unfortunately. Virgo has been playing right back for the reserves so he's next in line. Strachan see's Agathe as a winger which he hasn't been in a long time.
    You may be right eirebhoy, Popular opinion suggests he could be on his way come January. However, I'd be surprised if that was strachans view on it, if he can see Wallace as a left back then Im sure he can see Agathe as a right back, considering he has played there (well) for a number of seasons.

Though he does seem to be out of favour and Virgo as you say has been playing right back for the reserves, Agathe has been playing a more forward role.

May be he'll go back to Hibs and we can make a few quid on the £50k we splashed out on him!!!!

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    jaysus, what rattled your cage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    Just to remind ye, that programme about Brother Walfrid is on the 22nd of this month(next Thursday night) on TG4.
    Final reminder for all ye Celtic fans. Tonight at 8pm
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Hearts v Celtic

Daylight robbery. The funniest game I've seen in years.

Huns and Hibs, eat your hearts out. With luck like that, the league belongs to Celtic.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    would take a balls up of Artemedian proportions for celtic not to win the league now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Great game of football, lots of pace, tough tackles, off the ball incidents, goals, chances and atmosphere sounded great for a 17k crowd.

Hearts should have wrapped it by half time and gone in 3-0 up but for a great save from Boruc. Hearts still had chances in the second half but Celtic attacked relentlessly and once Hearts were down to 10 men they were really up against. We left it late though!

7 points clear and a massive physcological boost!!!

Killie and Hibs drew 2-2 today. A result Rangers will be pleased woth as it stops them from dropping to fifth :-)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    One of the best games of the year in any league, anywhere. On entertainment value alone it merits all the praise it generates and can only be a great advert for the SPL. As I'm only a recent subscriber to Setanta I've not really seen what Hearts were all about until now and they impressed me no end first half. Young Elliot up front has the makings of a top player and will most likely be snapped up at some stage. Thought Rix was a bit naive leaving him on so long and not shoring things up in midfield or at the back. 3 points thrown away and a harsh lesson learned. Can't see the Jambos recovering that lead, but for the sake of the SPL let's hope so.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kerr backs Keane at Celtic

Former Republic of Ireland coach Brian Kerr has reassured Celtic that the serious injuries Roy Keane has suffered during his career will not affect the combative style of play the midfielder is renowned for.

The 34-year-old has endured knee and hip injuries as a player - and has only just recovered from breaking a bone in his foot in September.

Kerr was the coach who persuaded Keane to end his two-year exile from international football following the former Manchester United captain's row with ex-Republic boss Mick McCarthy just before the 2002 World Cup.

And Kerr told BBC Sport: "I don't think - either in training or playing - there was any compromise in Roy's style of play.

"He was still as hard-tackling and he was not inhibited mentally."

According to Kerr, since undergoing a hip operation in September 2002, Keane has been careful in the way he recovers and prepares for games and now practises yoga to help that process.

He understands the key to winning matches is in the preparation
    Former Republic of Ireland coach Brian Kerr

"I think he has begun to understand his own body in a much better way," said Kerr.

"He has a fantastic reputation for being a hard trainer and driving himself to the limits in training but he has learnt how to balance preparing for and playing in matches and recovering from them.

"He saw doing yoga as crucial to the recovery process and after playing he had particular exercises that were vital to him.

"The day or two after playing a game were definitely more important to him than other players.

"Having had the hip operation I think he has played more games than he thought he would.

"To my knowledge he hasn't put a limit on how many games he can play each season."

Keane, who agreed an 18-month contract with the Scottish Premier League leaders in December, is expected to make his debut against Clyde in the Scottish Cup on Sunday.

And from watching Keane playing for the Republic, Kerr is confident the veteran has plenty to offer Celtic after joining them from Manchester United.

"He still brought a great presence and a great drive to the team," added Kerr.

"You couldn't help but admire his ability to get to the ball and his anticipation in games.

"In training the tempo was better, the passing was quicker and the momentum was better when he was around."

Keane has frequently talked about his desire to go into management when he finally retires as a player and Kerr is convinced the former Nottingham Forest star has all the attributes to make a good manager.

"I could certainly see him as a coach and as a manager - he is very intense about the game and thinks a lot about it," said Kerr.

"He loves the competitive nature of the game and he likes the idea of winning matches.

"He understands the key to winning matches is in the preparation. He has talked about how important it is in the way you prepare for games - that gives him a great start.

"To be a manager you have to give time, energy and dedication to the job.

"He has the strength of personality, communication and intelligence to go into it if he wants to do it."
    In Trap we trust

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Kerr says the key to winning games is the preparation!! Then why didn't we win our games and be in Germany since apparently we couldn't have had better preparation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Birmingham have signed Chris Sutton on a free.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    He's been fantastic in his 5 seasons here. Scored some very crucial goals and always gave 110%. I loved his committed attitiude and was absolutely crucial to the MON era.

This season he has been injured alot and not really figured, Strachan is building his own team and perhaps now is the best time fro him to move on. I for one wish him well.

A decent saving to the Celtic wage bill as well. He was reported to be on £25k a week.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Do you think Sutton had to go to make way for Keane's wages ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I don't think Sutton liked Strachan and his training methods. Sutton is a notoriously stroppy moody fellow. Sutton has always had injury problems and it's best Celtic got him off the wage bill. Rather than making way for Keane's wages I think his wages are being made way for new players. Celtic are being heavily linked with Mark Wilson off Dundee United for right back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Do you think Sutton had to go to make way for Keane's wages ?
    Nah, Sutton and Strachan had a bit of a bust up. It seems Sutton felt he should be a first team regular.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Nah, Sutton and Strachan had a bit of a bust up. It seems Sutton felt he should be a first team regular.
    I haven't seen any proof of this. Sutton is known to be a bit of a moody character+out of first team = fallout with manager. Im not so sure, he's largely been out of the team because he has been injured. Celtic (and Strachan) said publicly they wanted to keep him. I suppose the fact he has gone for 'free' and not a nominal fee and also by 'mutual consent' does suggest that maybe it was for the good of both parties.

I don't think the wages saving was for Keane, though it would be naive to think that Celtic had not identifed possible players leaving in January that would help fund the deal (this one alone does it, with the remainder of Keanes wages paid by DD). There are a number of other probable/possible leavers including Agathe, Varga, Thompson, Pearson. I suppose the proof will be if we bring anyone in during January.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I haven't seen any proof of this. Sutton is known to be a bit of a moody character+out of first team = fallout with manager. Im not so sure, he's largely been out of the team because he has been injured. Celtic (and Strachan) said publicly they wanted to keep him. I suppose the fact he has gone for 'free' and not a nominal fee and also by 'mutual consent' does suggest that maybe it was for the good of both parties.
    Its pretty much definite that they had a bust up, what it was over is speculative. This is a post I made on boards.ie to save me typing it out again:

I remember about 2 weeks ago Sutton hadn't trained on the Friday because of a virus but told Strachan he felt fit enough for the bench so Strachan trusted him and stuck him on the bench the following day. Then last week Strachan said on radio that Sutton had "declared himself injured" for the next match, he seemed surprised as he had been great in training all week.

After this I knew Strachan had to say something to Sutton but Sutton would be one of the worst players I can think of to approach over something like this. Looking at these quotes from a few days ago it seems Sutton felt he deserved to be guaranteed a place in the team:

"All I'm saying is that if you look at Chris Sutton's record under me, then any time he is fit, he plays.
    "You can't do any more than that. Without playing a reserve game, he will go straight back in [to the side]. The only time he has been subbed was at Inverness, when he had a virus.
    "Chris knows exactly what I think of him. If he wants to speak to me and have a private conversation, it is entirely up to him. My actions say that he is a man I would rather have here than not."

Page 18 of 114 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast