Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 114 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's already out looking for replacements for Lennon. Thompson doesn't get his game. Strachan is building a great team and if given the money will do wonders imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Celtic 3 Rangers 0

Goals from John Hartson, Bobo Balde and Aiden McGeady gave Celtic a 15-point cushion over Rangers in the Scottish Premier League and left Alex McLeish clinging to his job.

A careless ball by Alan Hutton gifted possession to Shunsuke Nakamura who found Shaun Maloney and his cross was turned in by John Hartson after 12mins.

Nakamura also crossed for Balde to head in for the second after 56 mins, while McGeady wrapped it up five minutes later - turning in a Stilian Petrov
    cross - to continue his return to form after recently winning back his place in the first team.

From Aertel.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Is this a discussion thread or a match report bulletin board? If the latter we might as well have them all. Here's a start:

KILMARNOCK 2-2 INVERNESS CT
    All four goals came from strikers but there was the occasional dereliction of defensive duties into the bargain.

Grahame Bayne gave ICT the lead after 30 minutes. Two quick goals after the interval, Kris Boyd's tenth league goal of the season and Colin Nish gave Killie the lead. Craig Dargo headed in Barry Wilson's cross for a well-deserved equaliser.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Judging by the lack of euphoria here, does a victory over Rangers hold any real merit these days? I listened to the game while redecorating. Shifts the house politics to an amicable level.
    BBC Radio Scotland sound as if they are Rangers fans trying hard to be objective but on Radio 5 live extra its just unrestrained lashing the huns for their woeful performance. Lots of praise for Neil Lennon and Celtic's controlled play. Its something that was obvious in the league cup midweek game, Strachan has them playing Rangers as if they are just another SPL team. The Calvary charge approach is gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    Is this a discussion thread or a match report bulletin board? If the latter we might as well have them all.
    WTF is your problem? I just gave the match report for the Celtic game, so what?.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Judging by the lack of euphoria here, does a victory over Rangers hold any real merit these days?

It does but when people start celebrating it usually descends into farce because non old firm fans feel obliged to start slagging everybody off

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I am somewhat cynical about the speculation on Roy Keane going to Celtic.
    I don't quite fall for this loyalty thing. If its about finances I will be loyal enough to go there for say £50,000 a week but not quite loyal enough to go there less. Then what about committing funds for Petrov's contract? If its for football reasons alone, is there enough justification for that? Possibly centre back and a possibilty if Lennon was injured.
    Alan Thompson an excellent midfielder is already lying in wait to get his place.
    Roy Keane would bring an enormous boost to a suitable team, I don't see a strong enough case that Celtic is that team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would take Keane in a flash as he would take over Lennons role only in a more mobile way but if it meant keeping Petrov or getting Keane due to finances then it would have to be keeping Petrov. Fantastic player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    I would take Keane in a flash as he would take over Lennons role only in a more mobile way but if it meant keeping Petrov or getting Keane due to finances then it would have to be keeping Petrov. Fantastic player.

When he's not rolling around diving

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    DFA,that's not fair, Lennon's legs have to move twice as fast as an opponents just to keep up with the pace
    The team have more than they need now to win the SPL title. Eirebhoy reported that Strachan is already looking for a Lennon replacement, I would guess that it is not Roy Keane. Anybody would swop Lennon in a flash for Keane but seriously can you imagine Celtic selling Lennon ( still performing well) to accomodate the financing of Keane? and then still have to pay more for his services. Celtic is a team which are on the up, it looks to have taken a lot of input by Strachan to achieve this with the team. If the Celtic board did make that statement on Keane, I just see it as a public recognition of a great player, a reputed Celtic supporter and you are always welcome here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with you but just to point out that Lennon is on close to £30,000 p/w which is the maximum the Celtic board would be prepared to pay for Keane it's reported. In that effect it could be a like for like swop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The Calvary charge approach is gone.
    I know, how many times did they get crucified for that before?

Sorry, the coats on....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever
    When he's not rolling around diving
    He has been the most tackled player in the SPL for 2 or 3 years. Arjen Robben has a reputation for diving but he quit that when he joined Chelsea. Ronaldo seems to be cutting it out too. Diving is part of the game in foreign countries. I haven't seen Petrov dive in a couple of years at least.

Petrov-Keane is a dream partnership. Add 2 of Nakamura/Maloney/McGeady for the wings and I get the shivers thinking about it.

DFA - Lennon wouldn't be on £30k. Maybe he was on his last contract but no doubt would have taken about a £10k paycut on his last one. Lennie doesn't deserve to be dropped but neither do any of the strikers and I wouldn't turn down Shevchenko.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So how are the irish lads from the EL doing in the spl
    Gary dempsey at aberdeen and that other geezer that used to play with shamrock rovers.
    Noel Hunt at dunfermline
    Richie foran at Motherwell

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    BBC Scotland are still persisting with their "understanding" that Celtic have established contact with Roy Keane. I remember they also understood Hartson to be leaving in Jan. for the sum of £5m. I suppose If Roy did run out in the hooped shirt in Celtic Park it would be one of the most publicised transfers of the decade, a transfer scoop. If he does come in he is coming in to a strong enough team and management set up. How would Roy rate the training facilities? or a trip to Inverness?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    BBC Scotland are still persisting with their "understanding" that Celtic have established contact with Roy Keane. I remember they also understood Hartson to be leaving in Jan. for the sum of £5m.
    I doubt they said that. They would have said they understand there's interest from West Ham but that's all. Once you see "The BBC understands" then what follows is true. Same if you're watching Sky Sports News.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    DFA - Lennon wouldn't be on £30k. Maybe he was on his last contract but no doubt would have taken about a £10k paycut on his last one. Lennie doesn't deserve to be dropped but neither do any of the strikers and I wouldn't turn down Shevchenko.
    You're right, I remember now it being reported that he was taking a drop of approx that amount to get his years extension. His old contract was approx £30,000 p/w though, he must have had a sh!t hot agent

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    After more carefull reading of the Hartson "understanding" you are right.
    "Birmingham and West Ham may make offers for Celtic striker John Hartson when the January transfer window opens.
    BBC Scotland understands Celtic will accept a bid in the region of £5m for the Welsh international."
    But on contact with Keane the BBC is a little more definite on 23/11.
    "Celtic have established contact with Roy Keane about a possible move to Glasgow, BBC Scotland understands."
    Today Celtic deny emphatically this contact has been made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    He has been the most tackled player in the SPL for 2 or 3 years. Arjen Robben has a reputation for diving but he quit that when he joined Chelsea. Ronaldo seems to be cutting it out too. Diving is part of the game in foreign countries. I haven't seen Petrov dive in a couple of years at least.

Petrov-Keane is a dream partnership. Add 2 of Nakamura/Maloney/McGeady for the wings and I get the shivers thinking about it.

Come off it. The guy is constantly diving. Why do you think the song "Petrov, Petrov give us a dive" is so popular around SPL grounds when celtic are in town
    Last edited by Hibs4Ever; 25/11/2005 at 8:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Looking forward to Sunday and what should be a Hibs win.
    This time last year we were 7/1 to win at home to Rangers, now we're 7/4.
    Oh how things are changing in the SPL. The OF dominence is over.