Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2267

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    Admitted assault, but not sectarianism. Celtic wanted him charged for both. The sectarinism couldn't be proven (despite a Hearts steward as their main witness). If prosecutors had just charged him for the assualt alone, he'd have been done
    How do you know Celtic wanted him to be done for both? It wasn't Celtic who drew up the charge. Nobody from Celtic said he said anything sectarian, so don't be blaming it on us. I knew a jury would never convict him of it. Scotland is the best little bigoted country in the world. Anti-catholicism is never far from the surface here.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    80th anniversary of the death of John Thompson, the Scottish international killed in an accident while diving at a Rangers players feet. His grave was attacked with blue paint the weekend. Seriously, I give up with that mob of sh*t.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I see Celtic wore the National Famine Memorial Day emblem on their jersey yesterday. Nice to see.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    All things to everyman then!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    For Celtic fans I believe the European Cup Final which Celtic won is being shown in its entirely on ESP Classic on Saturday at 5.30 I think. Best double check.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    For Celtic fans I believe the European Cup Final which Celtic won is being shown in its entirely on ESP Classic on Saturday at 5.30 I think. Best double check.
    which was the last time celtic won away from home in a european game feels like that at the moment, will be well worth a watch to see a local home grown bunch of players beating the mighty inter milan with a brilliant performance described by jock stein "We did it by playing football; pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads."

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    which was the last time celtic won away from home in a european game feels like that at the moment, will be well worth a watch to see a local home grown bunch of players beating the mighty inter milan with a brilliant performance described by jock stein "We did it by playing football; pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads."
    Dinama Moscow, two years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Celtic have begun a study into the feasibility of bringing standing sections back to top-flight football.

Scottish Premier League stadia have been all-seated since 1994 but STV has learned that the possibility of introducing a standing section to Celtic Park is being investigated.

Letters have been issued to Celtic shareholders ahead of their AGM in mid-October and among proposed resolutions is a proposal by the Celtic Supporters Trust, though not the directors, to make alterations to the ground

The proposal details supporters thoughts on the issue and points out both social and financial benefits for supporters.

A response from the board within the document confirms that steps are already being taken to consider the viability of such a move.

It reads: “The Board welcomes the Trust’s interest in this issue and is pleased to confirm that a feasibility study is already underway, under the direction of the Chief Executive.”

Although law currently prevents standing areas for top flight clubs in England and Wales, there is no such legislation in Scots law. However, Scottish Premier League rules currently prevent standing within grounds in their competition.

STV understands that eight of the 12 member clubs would have to vote in favour of a change to the rules on the issue but should Celtic’s study return positive conclusions the matter may be put before the League.

Reposted it here, put it in a thread on its own to kinda maybe get a discussion about getting terracing back into football so bit harsh locking it but hey-ho.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah why was it locked?? Hardly controversial by the standards of much on here.

For advocating drinking during games??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Yeah why was it locked?? Hardly controversial by the standards of much on here.

For advocating drinking during games??
    I think it was because I should have put it in this thread because it's to do with Celtic, thought they could have merged the threads but hey-ho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Rangers appear to be going the way of Cork and Derry. Looks like they're on the verge of administration and probably going bust if the UK Revenue wins their case against them. The plan seems to be to transfer the club and its assets to a new holding company. SPL rules means they'll have to apply for readmission and receive a vote of at least 10 to 1 in favour. They'll be precluded from applying for a UEFA licence for 3 years which is tantamount to a 3 year ban from Europe.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    SPL rules means they'll have to apply for readmission and receive a vote of at least 10 to 1 in favour.
    Readmission to the SPL? So they could go bust and just start back in the same division? Or would they have to go down to Div 3?

You'd have to imagine they'd receive the ten votes given how much money Rangers home games are worth to clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Might make it a decent title race if they are deducted 20 points or some such.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Readmission to the SPL? So they could go bust and just start back in the same division? Or would they have to go down to Div 3?

You'd have to imagine they'd receive the ten votes given how much money Rangers home games are worth to clubs.
    They can be readmitted straight to the top flight if the vote goes in the favour. Yeah, on a financial basis you could see it happening, however, they'd essentially have gotten away with cheating their competitors (they've won the best part of 7 leagues since they started using their offshore method of paying players) and the UK taxpayer (the tax bill plus penalties is estimated to run into £50m).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    What about Hampden? Presumably the best use for it, if the State takes it over in payment for the debts, is to rent it back to Rangers? Or is it even owned by the club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    What about Hampden? Presumably the best use for it, if the State takes it over in payment for the debts, is to rent it back to Rangers? Or is it even owned by the club?
    Ibrox you mean? Hampden is Queen's Park's stadium but yeah, they do own Ibrox. The intention is for all the assets to be transferred to a new company so all that's left is the debt. I don't quite know how that works but it seems to be what's going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Ibrox, sorry.

I'd be fairly sure you can't just transfer a massive asset out of the company and leave just the debt in anticipation of a winding-up order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Ibrox, sorry.

I'd be fairly sure you can't just transfer a massive asset out of the company and leave just the debt in anticipation of a winding-up order.
    Actually now that I think about it, it's a bit more complicated. Rangers were recently taken over by a fella called Craig Whyte. At the time they owed £18m to Llyods. A holding company of his took over this debt and he himself is one of Rangers' biggest (currently the biggest) creditors. I believe he also has an arrangement where he is the first creditor to be paid. I think this situation facilitiates this asset transfer. It's a very complicated situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Actually now that I think about it, it's a bit more complicated. Rangers were recently taken over by a fella called Craig Whyte. At the time they owed £18m to Llyods. A holding company of his took over this debt and he himself is one of Rangers' biggest (currently the biggest) creditors. I believe he also has an arrangement where he is the first creditor to be paid. I think this situation facilitiates this asset transfer. It's a very complicated situation.
    He has a history of taking over a company struggling and liquidating it and then taking the spoils. BBC did a documentary on him and this guy is dodgy to say the least. They won so many titles by spending crazy amounts of money they didn't earn and through dodging tax through dodgy schemes so I look forward to them paying the piper and getting punished heavily. They were once in £76 million debt and David Murray transferred neary £50 million to MIH, his own company. They are a disgrace of a club, and with their constant shaming of Scotland abroad I hope they are liquidated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    They are a disgrace of a club, and with their constant shaming of Scotland abroad I hope they are liquidated.
    Be careful for what you wish. No Rangers = no Celtic of the size it is and vice versa. If Rangers didn't exist I would expect Celtic's crowds to drop dramatically in what would be a one horse race for many years until Rangers Mark 2 rose from the ashes.

Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast