Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2267

Thread: SPL Discussion Thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Obviously what the rangers fans were chanting is wrong and what happened to lennon recently is very wrong. But the man really really does not help himself.

His reaction after the match was stupid, just stupid.
    Hmm, I think unless any of us have been in that situation of receiving frequent death threats, I guess we can't really comment.
    Personally would have wanted to give an 'exaggerated pantomime one' of blowing a few kisses in their direction....

And his reaction in the press conference after was equally as bad. The man has no sense. He is well paid in a high profile influential role. He needs to set an example and not in the manner that it has in two recent old firm games.
    What did he do or say that was so terrible??

Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    It's not about setting an example, I think. He just really shouldn't be bating them when his life is in very genuine danger :/
    Get the point about the wider implications;though his reaction may be as likely to provoke those eejits who want to go back to 'armed' struggle as to antagonise paranoid unionists.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It was a disgrace that Lennon turned up at that post match press conference with his shoe laces undone. Absolutely shocking show of disrespect. He really should get his act together, otherwise somebody might ...... .... blow his head off??

Walter wasn't in a good mood, he was moaning that Celtic's season was all about getting penalties awarded to them

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Well yeah. Granted it was Wattie's last derby, but he can add premature senility to his Hypocrisy with that statement....

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I like Walter Smith I have to say and he's entitled to moan about Celtic getting penalties as in most games I have seen, they seem to get one. No shouts of conspiracy after the dubious one against the Gers??

The big game for Celtic I would think is away to Hearts. Traditionally a tough game. If they come away with 3 points from that, I would fancy them for the league but it is a tough ask for them to win all their games as I suspect Rangers will win theirs. Ok, perhaps one draw among them will also do it but a fascinating end to the season.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I think tonight is a big one (duh, obviously). Hearts away will be massive.

I like Smith too, but I can't see how you can observe (on the CL thread) that managers can definitely influence ref behaviour whilst think Smith is being purely objective. Lennon was also right to complain about a penalty Rangers got when the ref wasn't even looking (proven on TV). The Celtic penalty at Ibrox was harsh (is obstruction in the rules any more as a separate offence? It's never given.) but the whole penalty furore started at Dundee United last year when a ref reversed a penalty decision (probably the correct call - but highly unusual). The only other penno I saw Celtic get was at Hamilton and it was 100% the right call. Smith was plainly stirring things in a pretty undignified manner, probably mindful of the effect it can have on refs that you noted elsewhere.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Rooney puts ICT 1 up. Commons equalises straight after.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Looks like Celts lost 3-1, fecking typical. Do the hard work and stumble up the home straight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    3-2 in the end. Can't see Rangers slipping up.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I like Walter Smith I have to say and he's entitled to moan about Celtic getting penalties as in most games I have seen, they seem to get one. No shouts of conspiracy after the dubious one against the Gers??
    Stuttgart has nailed it below.

Maybe if Celtic got the next 50 contentious decisions v. R*ngers then it might go a small way towards evening things up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I can't see how you can observe (on the CL thread) that managers can definitely influence ref behaviour whilst think Smith is being purely objective. Lennon was also right to complain about a penalty Rangers got when the ref wasn't even looking (proven on TV). The Celtic penalty at Ibrox was harsh (is obstruction in the rules any more as a separate offence? It's never given.) but the whole penalty furore started at Dundee United last year when a ref reversed a penalty decision (probably the correct call - but highly unusual). The only other penno I saw Celtic get was at Hamilton and it was 100% the right call. Smith was plainly stirring things in a pretty undignified manner, probably mindful of the effect it can have on refs that you noted elsewhere.
    That said, it all seems immaterial now with a shambolic performance earlier and Kayal possibly out for the rest of the season....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    What an awful performance by Celtic. I thought they would come out for the 2nd half with all guns firing when instead Inverness were the ones who dominated the first 20. Celtic could barely put a pass move together. The defence looked a shambles.

That said, the pressure is now on Rangers who have the lead and while there is life, there is hope.

Speaking of penalties, Celtic were unlucky not to be awarded one when the keeper crashed in to Murphy. However, I felt the players (and fans) spent too much time screaming at the ref for fouls and penalties instead of concentrating on their game.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Fans and players do that when they're desperate. There wasn't exactly much time left to "concentrate on their game".

I just saw highlights on BBC. I reckon McCourt may have been given a penno just at the final whistle if they hadn't already just been given one! It was a fair shout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Fans and players do that when they're desperate. There wasn't exactly much time left to "concentrate on their game".

I just saw highlights on BBC. I reckon McCourt may have been given a penno just at the final whistle if they hadn't already just been given one! It was a fair shout.
    They started in the referee's ear right after the second Caley goal. I think that sort of thing is counter productive. It rubs the ref up the wrong way. They started blaming the ref for everything after that rather than concentrating on the game and actually trying to put a few passes together. The McCourt incident was never a penalty. If it was, there would be 20 penalties a game. If they had scored 10 minutes earlier, perhaps for the Murphy/keeper "peno", they may well have equalised. Now, can Rangers deal with Hearts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    A different Celtic who turned up at Hearts last night and I think they would have won it even if the Hearts' player (unluckily) wasn't sent off. Strong, combative and up for it unlike the team that played Inverness which was like a rabbit caught in the glare of headlights.

If I had to watch Samaras every game, I'd be bald by now. Totally frustrating and you know he'll run in to the back of an opponent just when you don't want to give a free away. Why he was allowed take that penalty against Rangers is anyone's guess.

And speaking of brainless, Commons is on a yellow and he celebrates a goal with the fans when everyone knows that's a second yellow. He now misses the final game against Motherwell so Celtic are without their two main players.

So down to the last two games. I thought Rangers' parade around the pitch after the game against the Arabs was a bit too much like "we've won the league" even though I know it was the last home game and a farewell to Walter Smith. They're due a slip up soon but......

This is how leagues should end even though as usual it's a two horse race.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I can't see Rangers slipping up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I can't see Rangers slipping up.
    and killmarnock made sure that did not happen either.

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    and killmarnock made sure that did not happen either.
    Did they try at all?

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Walter Smith has just gone down a lot in my estimation when I heard on BBC that he said after the match "when the going gets tough Celtic fail". Given all of the rubbish that has gone on this season from Rangers FC and their entourage you'd think he'd have been a bit more gracious. A rookie manager who has had his life threatened by Rangers fans loses the title by a point to a wily old veteran and that's how he bows out.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Walter Smith has just gone down a lot in my estimation when I heard on BBC that he said after the match "when the going gets tough Celtic fail". Given all of the rubbish that has gone on this season from Rangers FC and their entourage you'd think he'd have been a bit more gracious. A rookie manager who has had his life threatened by Rangers fans loses the title by a point to a wily old veteran and that's how he bows out.
    Walter smith has been created as whiter Than white by Media , well dressed / well spoken above all the madness. but he finaly showed his true colours "once a hun always a hun " imagine if Lennon made same statement about Rangers on tv it would have been front page news and media would have had a field day about his comments.

" football is a simple game "

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Walter was quite right after the Ibrox drawn game to bitterly moan that Celtic's season was ALL about getting penalties and nothing about good football. And quite within his rights to triumphantly claim on the victor's podium that Celtic have no bottle when the going gets tough.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Of course he's within his rights to be ungracious in victory. I'm within my rights to view his behaviour yesterday dimly.

Page 91 of 114 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast