Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A Few Words From Rico...

Taken from BreakingNews.ie

Richardson targets golden goal
    24/08/2005 - 15:07:40

Cork manager Damien Richardson believes it is a case of “next goal wins” in his side’s finely poised UEFA Cup tie against Djurgarden.

The eircom League leaders face their Swedish opponents with a slight advantage, having earned a 1-1 draw in Stockholm.

Richardson said: “European football stands on its own. It’s a different mentality.

“It will require a balance; we’re not going to go all-out attack, but by the same token if we can get one goal it places even more pressure on Djurgarden.

“So the fine line and the intoxicating factor is that neither of us can afford to concede a goal. It’s next goal wins.”

George O’Callaghan returns from suspension for the second leg, and City have no other selection worries as Richardson aims to build on an encouraging first-leg display.

“We retained great possession in the first half, we went one goal up (through Neale Fenn in the seventh minute). We had chances to get a second and even a third and the tie would probably be settled by now,” he said.

“They got the goal back and we had to defend resolutely, while still retaining possession. Having been forewarned about it, Djurgarden will know exactly what they have got to do. There isn’t that element of surprise any more and I’m expecting a tighter and closer game.

“We are in the driving seat and ideally we will make that count.

“There’s a good confidence, we lost last Friday to Derry but it was our first defeat in 14. The confidence is still intact and we’re pretty determined to eradicate the memory of that loss. The Djurgarden game is a perfect opportunity to quickly regain some pride and even more confidence.”

Cork are fighting on two fronts, with the club aiming to reach the first round proper of the UEFA Cup and also win the eircom League.

City’s European campaign has placed extra strain on Richardson’s players, but he knows they have to get used to coping with more games if the club is to grow.

“We lost to Derry and it was a game too far. There was a freshness about Derry that we didn’t possess and there’s no doubt that playing in Europe does dilute the vibrancy of the squad,” Richardson admitted.

“I’ve always been a believer that if you have a European game in midweek you don’t cancel the game at the weekend.

“It’s important for our mental progression. If you go the opposite way and start cancelling games, all you’re saying to the players is ‘we can’t handle the pressure of being successful in Europe and successful at home’.

“That is the worst admission for any manager to make to his players. I know it’s going to have a debilitating effect on the players, but it’s up to me and my backroom staff to make that debilitation as minute as possible.”
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Its all about minute debilitations at the end of the day.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com