Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Games Weekend 1st Sept to 6th Sept

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Definitely would have been a different result if it was a different game in Tallaght with a different ref and maybe two different teams.

9-2 is the aggregate score now so that should tell its own story.

Bohs don't seem to have any idea what to do if Afolabi can't elbow his way into a game. Not getting much out of Danny Grant. Connolly looked lively and Clarke did show flashes but overall they were second best in every department. Did think the Finn one on Clarke was a peno but we had a claim as well and ultimately could have won by more. Talbot is dodgy but he did make a few good stops while Mannus wasn't challenged all night.

Good to see Clarke and Farrugia back on the pitch. We are a different animal with pace in the team and Rory Gaffney is starting to become unplayable again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Yes they did - and yes it could.

All games revolve around momentum - and incidents can change the entire nature of the game.

Towell should have at least been booked for kicking the legs from under a Bohs player in the first minute (I think it warranted a red card for violent conduct) - that would have stopped him continuously kicking people, like it did after he was booked at the start of the second half.

Bohs were denied a stonewall penalty and potentially a second one early in the first half - either of those given and the complexion of the game changes completely. I also think Bohs should have had a penalty in the second half when Afolabi was belted in the back of the head.

Now - Rovers also had two penalty shouts for handball

But it is a different game if Bohs are one up early in the first half - doesn't mean that Bohs would have won or that Rovers would not have gone on to dominate the second half - but it would have been a different game if there was a competent referee on the pitch.
    Rovers fan here, but I see and accept your point. Goals change games. Had Bohs scored first it could have been different. And just look how the last game changed when Bohs pulled a goal back from 0-2. But overall Rovers did show they were quite a bit the better team imho.

Clarke and Farrugia’s pace make such a huge difference and we’ve missed it for much of the season. Clarke is a force of nature.

But I think the real reason for our domestic return to winning ways and form is the return of our white shorts!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Very fair summary’s there lads, yes we had a couple of whinges about Hennessy’s mad reffing but penalty , towell getting away with a few nasty ones , instead of geeing us up and going after it we went into our shell invited rovers on and paid the price.
    In the end after totally rubbish defending 3-0 was fair enough.
    For me only Connolly , Clarke and an isolated Afolabi showed the fight we expect.
    Agree about the ref not flashing too many cards but he allowed towell away with all sorts and booked a couple more for nothing .
    Forgettable night for us but as I said earlier in the season they’re the best team we’ve played this season.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    For all the injuries to key players Rovers have had. The loss of Grace during parts of the season has tended to go under the radar. Now I could be wrong here but since he has come back into the team they have kept two clean sheets.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    For all the injuries to key players Rovers have had. The loss of Grace during parts of the season has tended to go under the radar. Now I could be wrong here but since he has come back into the team they have kept two clean sheets.
    You're spot on. He covers for everyone back there. Puts in blocks, rarely loses the ball or a battle and can pass it as well. We are far better with him on the left side. He was our best defender until he got injured.

Don't take this the wrong way but I don't think last night will define your season. Bohs have done far better than I and most expected. Looks like you need a bit of bite in the middle and some proper full backs but otherwise there's a team there. Get Deegan in for a year and you'd be dangerous!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Most bohs fans in the real world, pre season, would’ve snapped your hand off for a top4,and a decent cup run.
    Good side in there yes but we need midfield steel, and a new back four.
    JT is a top class shot stopper but prone to mistakes also.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    I was up in Tallaght last night. Shamrock Rovers simply were superb! Great game great atmosphere loved the flares!
    Btw Stewie Byrne blowup was in 06 season!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Even if they lose to UCD and lose the rest if their games we need to make up 3 points plus goal difference, so effectively 4 points.
    Our opportunity to do that was in our games against UCD at home (draw) and Drogs last week (loss).

We have one more against UCD but even if we win that I struggle to see were we would pick up more points.

It's not over but it's gonna be very difficult
    I’d be amazed if cork came above Sligo. Cork are the worst team I’ve seen this season - and that includes ucd- talk about anti football

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    There's a blast from the past! Welcome back Cosmo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's a blast from the past! Welcome back Cosmo
    Always lurking ;-)
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

13. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Go on Town. Cristian Magerusan you legend. 10 in 12 for him now.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Big win for Longford that,second win over Galway there this season..
    More an annoyance for Galway than anything but you’d think they’ll need serious investment in the winter to get up to Premier Division level….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    More an annoyance for Galway than anything but you’d think they’ll need serious investment in the winter to get up to Premier Division level….
    Big win alright. A 4 way battle for the final playoff spot.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Go on Town. Cristian Magerusan you legend. 10 in 12 for him now.
    Mmmm, wonder if he fancies a return to dalymount?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermobohs View Post
    Mmmm, wonder if he fancies a return to dalymount?
    I'm delighted for the lad that he's managed to get fit and firing. He had a burst of form last season too but got injured again. Has a great knack of being in the right place at the right time.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    First investment should be in a new manager. That is behind a prehistoric style of play, wont last a wet weekend in the premier at that muck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Ian Morris was sacked after bringing Shels up so it wouldn't be unprecedented for Galway to sack caulfield after promotion. Can't see it though I think Morris was always on borrowed time at shels after getting them.relegated .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Not a chance Caulfield will be sacked. We've píssed the First Division this year.

Of course there will be investment required next season, that's obvious, but I don't see us going up to the Premier Division with the ambition of simply staying up. Caulfield is a cute character and he has a good relationship with the Comers, if we go up, we should be well-backed.

Funny game last night, Longford I would say were the better team in the first half, but not by much, but you couldn't begrudge them the half time lead. Second half as you would expect, they sat in and wasted time at every opportunity. We dominated the half and with the chances we created, we should've won the game really, but if you don't take your chances....etc.

We were missing Manning, Horgan and Donelon last night and it was glaring how weak we were in the wide positions and that's where Longford's goal came from.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    A win against Treaty in a few weeks will see Longford record a quadruple of Cup final victories - two over Galway United and two over Treaty United.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Not a chance Caulfield will be sacked. We've píssed the First Division this year.

Of course there will be investment required next season, that's obvious, but I don't see us going up to the Premier Division with the ambition of simply staying up. Caulfield is a cute character and he has a good relationship with the Comers, if we go up, we should be well-backed.

Funny game last night, Longford I would say were the better team in the first half, but not by much, but you couldn't begrudge them the half time lead. Second half as you would expect, they sat in and wasted time at every opportunity. We dominated the half and with the chances we created, we should've won the game really, but if you don't take your chances....etc.

We were missing Manning, Horgan and Donelon last night and it was glaring how weak we were in the wide positions and that's where Longford's goal came from.
    Unless galway buy 10/11 player's next season they'll be automatically favourites for the drop. They are going into a fully professional league with only drogs as part time,and drogs are an an ocean ahead of galway in terms of quality.
    Just pray you get the play off position next year would be my advice.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast