Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea vs Arsenal.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts

Chelsea vs Arsenal.

Unexciting to say the least. Chelsea seem to have the knack like Arsenal of old of getting 1-0 wins with the commentators saying they're not playing as well as expected (heard that numerous times last season). Although it pains me to say it, if I had a choice of watching Man U or Chelsea, I'd plump for the former.

Very few runs from Duff but amazingly he got 90 minutes for a change.Glad to see that.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was like watching paint.

(no not as interesting as watching paint dry)
    Bye bye Stan. Go off back to collecting cones you useless git.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    first ten minutes were excellent, and then it just seemed to go into a tactical battle.

arsenal very unlucky. cole should have had a penalty, maybe poll remembered his dive against united at highbury. overall i thought arsenal were the better team, if henry had have turned up they would probably have won.

chelsea seem to have continued from last year - grind out wins when they dont deserve it (and i'm sure when they hit form they will trash a few sides). 6 points out of six, yet it could (should) easily be 1 from 6

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I had it on in the background but couldn't bring myself to watch for more than few minutes at a time. Drogba goal summed up the game.

I know ist off topic a bit but Everton v Bolton showed all that is bad about the Premiership!
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Both games were really poor,Arsenal need to stop trying to score the perfect goal all the time.Henry is a quality player but doesnt get into the positions you'd want from a centre forward sometimes.Never makes late runs into 6 yard box etc.
    "All I have in this world is my balls and my word,and I don't break em for noone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana
    Henry is a quality player but doesnt get into the positions you'd want from a centre forward sometimes.
    Henry isn't a centre forward. Never has been and never will be.
    I think the usual pressure that Henry places on himself to perform has been intensified by his new role as captain.

If I were Mr. Wenger, I'd play Henry on the left, van Persie up front and Bergkamp in the hole. If Ljungberg is out for a while he could start with Pires or Fabregas on the right.

I'll be heading along to the Fulham game tomorrow night now and will be hoping for a marked improvement.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    Bergkamp: a has-been for the past 2 years with the odd occasional flicker of his previous genius. A mirthless drip of a personality with a vicious streak. I'm surprised Wenger still persists with him.

Chelsea: if you don't concede, you'll win games. Premiership has been a non event so far. Even Alan Parry only used the word "brilliant" 4 times at the game. Normally I count about 15/20 a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Bergkamp: a has-been for the past 2 years with the odd occasional flicker of his previous genius. A mirthless drip of a personality with a vicious streak. I'm surprised Wenger still persists with him.
    He persists with him because he knows a hell of a lot more about football and footballers than you. I've seen a lot of Arsenal and Bergkamp is still seriously fit. He may not be good for 90 minutes but his presence on the pitch is invaluable. Stick to watching Wednesday, the slow pace is easier for you to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Unexciting to say the least. Chelsea seem to have the knack like Arsenal of old of getting 1-0 wins with the commentators saying they're not playing as well as expected (heard that numerous times last season). Although it pains me to say it, if I had a choice of watching Man U or Chelsea, I'd plump for the former.

Very few runs from Duff but amazingly he got 90 minutes for a change.Glad to see that.

Why does it pain you to say it you are a Sheff Wed Supporter. Man Utd are much better to watch than Chelsea so dont see were the hardship or pain is there.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    He persists with him because he knows a hell of a lot more about football and footballers than you. I've seen a lot of Arsenal and Bergkamp is still seriously fit. He may not be good for 90 minutes but his presence on the pitch is invaluable. Stick to watching Wednesday, the slow pace is easier for you to watch.
    Hear Hear !!!!

Well answered mate.
    Bye bye Stan. Go off back to collecting cones you useless git.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts

Touchy touchy. Whenever I've seen him play (Arsenal are on the box just about every week) I've seen very little of the player he once was. The occasional flash but only the occasional.

Didn't realise Wenger's judgement was unimpeachable. I suspect I see a lot more of what goes on on the pitch than Wenger because whenever he's asked to comment on some controversial incident, he says "I did not see it" I usually have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Why does it pain you to say it you are a Sheff Wed Supporter. Man Utd are much better to watch than Chelsea so dont see were the hardship or pain is there.
    Because I don't like Man Utd, the team of the glory hunters. However, unlike Wenger who does not see things that he doesn't like, I acknowledge they are a more entertaining team than Chelsea, at the moment anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    (Arsenal are on the box just about every week)

I suspect I see a lot more of what goes on on the pitch than Wenger...
    I suspect you see very little of what goes on on the pitch since you're stuck in your armchair or on a barstool.
    I've been to 3 games this season, going to the Fulham game tomorrow night and I've been to training sessions. Bergkamp is the consummate professional and still has a major contribution to make to the Premiership.

Arsene Wenger has already proved that he's not sentimental when it comes to getting rid of players so you can rest assured Denis Bergkamp is there on merit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Because I don't like Man Utd, the team of the glory hunters. However, unlike Wenger who does not see things that he doesn't like, I acknowledge they are a more entertaining team than Chelsea, at the moment anyway.[/QUOTE]

Did Man Utd not have the highest attendances in England during the 70's when they spend their time in the 2nd Division. It would be unheard of now of a team in the Championship having the hightest average attendances in England. Although they do have fans they have jumped on the band wagon, just as Liverpool did in the 80's they do have a large fan base that has been there through thick and thin. In fact that fan based is bigger than Sheff Wednesday's.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    I suspect you see very little of what goes on on the pitch since you're stuck in your armchair or on a barstool.
    No matter where I am (not barstools though - bad for my back), I still frequently see more than Wenger who suffers from selective myopia. No manager's judgement is infallible, not even Wenger's.

Man U's fanbase - was covered before. No point going into it again here. They were still the team to support when I was at school which wasn't today or yesterday. Nothing has changed there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I still frequently see more than Wenger who suffers from selective myopia. No manager's judgement is infallible, not even Wenger's.
    Grow up!
    Wenger has a policy of not criticising his players in public.
    He misses nothing that happens on the pitch.
    He's entitled to avoid media questions on contentious issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Anyone who ever knocks the entertainment value of the EL compared to the Premiership should be made to watch this game again and again and again. From the Premiership's top two, one of them the most expensive squad's ever assembled.

Snoozefest
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Anyone who ever knocks the entertainment value of the EL compared to the Premiership should be made to watch this game again and again and again.
    To be fair, the live games so far this season have been rubbish.
    Liverpool v Middlesboro'
    Arsenal v Newcastle
    Man U v Everton
    Chelsea were rubbish against Wigan.

A lot of what I've seen on Match of the Day has been rubbish too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I agree completely Peadar, the football on display this season has been awful (with the possible exception of Charlton )but given the hype and the build-up that the Sky Machine threw at the Chelsea -v- Arsenal match, it was a complete let-down.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No matter where I am (not barstools though - bad for my back), I still frequently see more than Wenger who suffers from selective myopia. No manager's judgement is infallible, not even Wenger's.
    Wenger suffers no more from selective myopia than the idiots who interview him. Arsenal get a player sent off and they ask him about his 50-something red card and discipline probelms that don't exist - you never hear the conversation start with 'so you HAVE had the best behaved team in the premiership for two consequtive years Arsene, what did you think of today's sending off'. If the interviewer wants to be selective about facts then they don't deserve a proper answer. I think it's easier for him to avoid fines from the FA by not answering controversial questions that often bear little or no importance to the situation without having time to measure the answer carefully. Anyone working in PR would actually recognise that as a great skill to have.

Those of us how read and watch post game 'press conferences' would also recognise that he happily discusses controversial incidents once he has viewed them, but I wouldn't expect anyone to notice that - much easier to go the 'sky sports' route!

Had i been interviewed directly after the Newcastle - Arsenal game, I'd have told you that Jenas was right to be sent off. I'd have been wrong and I understand why Wenger doesn't answer those questions directly after the games from Sky Dirt Diggers!

On a side issue, It's actually a running joke with the arsenal coaching staff notably Pat Rice who once mentioned at a reserve game that staff take turns in answering Wenger's questions with 'i didn't see it' just to wind him up!
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    He misses nothing that happens on the pitch.
    He's entitled to avoid media questions on contentious issues.

If he sees everything and then says he doesn't, he's a liar then. Fair enough. I just thought he was God the way you were talking about him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast