Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Abusive "Fans"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Abusive "Fans"

Since Alan Matthews has taken over LTFC he has achieved the following success.
    2 FAI Cups
    1 League Cup
    Runners up in League Cup
    A solid mid table team improving every season
    The club it's self has tranformed the ground and facilities to be second to none.It's amazing how far the club has come in such a short space of time.
    With all this success you would think that the fans would be happy.I have followed the club for near on 20 years now and i have to say that i never thought i would see the day that the club would achieve what it has but still people complain and whinge about something.
    I sat in the stand on Saturday night and listened to some of the crap and abuse that so called fans dish out to our players and management.One player more than any other got abuse that was uncalled for and that guy is Barry.It's becoming clear to me that these fools have an agenda.Even on here and ltfcforum.com some people are always on about Barry and Dessie Baker and Matthews out.Not that long ago we were great fans who stuck by the team thick and thin no matter what the result.It's what seperated us from other clubs but now we are no better that any of the rest and i'd love to know what has happened to us.People should read Jim Hanly's note in the programme
    Support your team, all of your team, all of the time.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

clam down

[size=1]Matthews is one of the best managers LTFC have ever had. This issue is a serious issue for LTFC and I'd be greatful if all non-LTFC members declined from commenting.
    [/size]
    Last edited by Xlex; 22/08/2005 at 1:02 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great post Wiseguy. The behaviour of some sections of the LTFC support has alot to answer for. This board and the LTFCforum.com board are facilitating the slating of players and their performances. There is always a feeling on boards and in Flancare Park that this is now a formality and it's accepted. Well we need think again. We all know that there are instances where a player’s performance is unacceptable; we know only too well that there are situations where team performances are unacceptable. But is it coincidence that we have been better on the road in the past than at home.

How can anyone believe that by abusing a player or the team will produce a better performance on the night or the next night? Unfortunately, in my opinion the rot has set in and it will never be removed as long as Longford Town are successful. It may even take a player walk-out to demonstrate how unreasonable we, as fans, have become.

Players needing confidence to play better need our support, not our abuse. Can you imagine the pressure on Keego to put that chance home knowing he could be abused from LTFC's fans? We'd all miss that chance.

IMO, there are only three players (two very former) outside the abuse that's dished out.

1. Digger
    2. Dillo
    3. Martin
    (4. Lavine)
    (5. Murph)

Perhaps a word from Digger on how the players see this issue? An opinion in the programme or on the boards would help.
    Last edited by Xlex; 22/08/2005 at 1:08 PM.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well as I see it, the players I mentioned are usually top of their game and are generally crowd favourites.

Digger obviously has a great bond with the fans and even the slightest criticism is bound for an arguement with many folks, supporters tend to take it personnally.

John Martin displays a great energy when he plays and generally this is the sort of play that 'gets' the crowd going. The crowd like this. He is also a looker in the eyes of the female supporters and is also a very propular member of the squad.

Dillo is probably our best defender and he's a great player. The crowd recognise this and he's well supported.

Lavine and Murph had a great relationship with the stand in particular and in both their cases it looked like a clash with management seen their departures.

Now, it is alot easier for the aforementioned to perform, then it is for anyone else. Call me crazy, but that's how I see it, it's not an insult or shouldn't be seen as one.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Abusive Fans

As a player I would not see it as a major problem.
    Supporters pay their money and are entitled to have a moan, particulary when we are not playing well.
    There is a difference, however, between "Ah come on Ferguson" than "Ferguson your f***ing usless"

Players are more than aware when they get stick and do not mind because it is all part and parcel of football, you take the good with the bad (i.e. Carmatheren and Cup Finals), however, for the first time ever on Sat Night I have a go at a fan behind the goal in the first half for slagging off Barry.
    Cant understand why people single out Barry, the lad has led us to three trophies and is a super player, ok you might not like the way he plays but Barry is a Centre Half his job is to stop goals and he does that better than anyone.

We have no problem with supporters giving out stick, certainly no problem with comments on who should be playing and in what position thats whats called caring and being good supporters. Arguing on who should be in and out is great.

The only groan I would have is fans singling out certain players for abuse which is not warrented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Everyone has the right to complain and be upset i fully understand that.But idiots shouting out of the stand " Will you take that useless cnut off Matthews", "You're ****ing useless Dessie" and so on are to much.I get as annoyed and upset as anyone else who goes to the matches but the only person who gets abuse from me is the referee and i even feel some guilt after it,not to much though.I've played a lot of football myself and represented LTFC at all underage levels and at B team level aswell as being selected for the NEC at U16 and U18 level and you do hear what's being shouted at you and it can play on your mind.I have spoken to alot of the players and management and they can take the critisism but they don't appreciate being called a fcuking w4nker or b olox and that's where people are over stepping the line.There was one guy in particular sitting behind me on Saturday night who dished out abusive remark after abusive remark mostly at Barry and Dessie and only for he had kids with him i would have pointed out one or two things to him.All i am trying to say is that it's just as easy to say " Come on Barry better next time" than "You stupid b olox Ferguson your fcuking useless".Most of the players have partners and families in the ground watching the match and they shouldn't have to listen to idiots abusing the players because that's all these "fans" are.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Couldn't agree more with Wiseguy and Mr.Diggler. Everyone is entitled to have their own views but abuse of our own players and staff in Flancare, and dogs' abuse it can be at times, is not welcome in my opinion. I'd prefer them to be told stick yer 15 yo-yo, unless you cut that out you're not wanted any more and I think one or two have been told already.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    A lot of people that support other E/L teams must be scratching their heads and/or laughing when they read the likes of this thread.

The team has had a couple of fantastic years (Europe aside) with the Team going from strength to strength and this year we have a very strong squad who are shaping up for our possible best ever league finish,plus we are still in the two Cups (as usual ).

Whinging people who abuse their own Team are a fact of life these days at most games that you go to but thankfully are very much in the minority.

Its been said on here numerous times (by others) that we are not a full time pro team and we do fantastically well for our budget.

some people "can't see the wood for those dam trees".
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 23/08/2005 at 6:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    Another, more viable solution , however, would be to eject them from the ground. Get a few decent "security men" & if there's abuse meted out to a player/manager, then out you go. .
    paying those security men would be the problem, they aint cheap and only essentials are being done at the mo, out of the cups and smal crowds at league matches means, little revenue.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    As I was slowly ambling home last night, I was considering a number of solutions to this problem. The first that came to mind was to turn around & belt the head off whatever goon was shouting his/her mouth off (usually they are ignoramuses with nothing upstairs) , but that would probably only lead to a trip up the steps & I could do without that at the minute.
    Another, more viable solution , however, would be to eject them from the ground. Get a few decent "security men" & if there's abuse meted out to a player/manager, then out you go. They wouldn't be long stopping their nonsense then (cue howls of outrage for 'denying me my civil liberty to vociferously berate my team'. **** civil liberties in this case.)
    Alternatively, if someone close to you does so in a match, turn around & give them an outrageous bolloCKing - whether they have wives/children with them or not.
    While I echo your sentiments, it must be acknowledged that the idea of security guards throwing people out for hurling abuse is simply unethical. Abuse is a sad aspect of football. We're talking about low attendances and poor revenue at the moment. That situation will hardly be improved by undertaking such a measure.
    I think the best option is to turn around to those "fans" who hurl abuse, and give them a taste of their own medicine.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo