Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sadly, some people need a reason not to buy the Scum...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts

Sadly, some people need a reason not to buy the Scum...

...and here it is. From The Phoenix of August 12:

IT'S ALWAYS INTERESTING to know what the other side really thinks and the British edition of that country's best selling newspaper, the Sun, on the day the news broke of the IRA's decition to decommission weapons and stand down its members, was most instructive.

The Irish edition of the Sun headlined their story with the good news headline: “IT'S OVER!”, reflecting the positive, welcoming mood amongst the natives at the initiative. However, the story published in the British edition of the Sun was printed underneath a somewhat more bitter and triumphant headline of “SURRENDER!”
    I wonder how many Scum-reading patriots will stop buying it in protest.

adam
    Last edited by dahamsta; 21/08/2005 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    not really surprised, dont really care either

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This cant really be seen as news, they do it all the time with stuff like the introduction of the €, England 1 France 2, loads of things. Dont bother buying it myself anyway.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Even for The Sun (excuse the caps) that is sick. Really sick.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    not really surprised, dont really care either
    My sentiments exactly. Nowhere near the worst story or headline they have printed
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The Sun is a load of boll-ocks anyway, not fit for wiping your arse with it really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    I wonder how many Scum-reading patriots will stop buying it in protest.
    Why?

Alternatively, you could buy the D-Irish Mirror. You know, the paper that mocks up photos of "troops" abusing "prisoners", and prints IRA codewords; the Sunday Independent, who offended athletes competing in the Special Olympics (2000); the Cork Evening Echo, who reported that fans of a NL-club wreaked "havoc" in the city after a recent league game there; or the Evening Herag who write tripe about NL fans of certain clubs with "links" to Nazi groups. All of which are good reasons to boycott the papers concerned.

Every newspaper makes giant f-ups from time to time, yet people still buy them. There is still a boycott of The Sun in Liverpool, who pre-Hillsborough, had a circulation of 300,000 readers. Despite making numerous apologies to those upset by the appalling allegations printed in the newspaper after it, only 12,000 people buy the paper there today.
    Last edited by mypost; 22/08/2005 at 5:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    There is still a boycott of The Sun in Liverpool, who pre-Hillsborough, had a circulation of 300,000 readers. Despite making numerous apologies to those upset by the appalling allegations printed in the newspaper after it, only 12,000 people buy the paper there today.
    Banned in my house since that incident.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Banned in my house since that incident.
    And yet Liverpool expect their apology for heysel to be accepted by the Juve fans...

btw never brought the right wing rag anyway, or any from the murdoch stable....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    mypost, have you read any of these "numerous apologies"?

There was a supposed apology last year that just turned into a 'get over it, it's been ages' sort of rant. Funnily enough, around the time of Rooney signing a deal with them.
    I haven't heard of other apologies.

I'd like to let myself believe I boycott the paper for things like Hillsborough, but really I don't buy it 'cos it's a heap of tripe.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    And yet Liverpool expect their apology for heysel to be accepted by the Juve fans...

Don't think expect is the right word Macy. It was offered, accepted by some but not by most which is their right. Same situation with that rag, an apology has been offered but most chose to refuse it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    I'd like to let myself believe I boycott the paper for things like Hillsborough, but really I don't buy it 'cos it's a heap of tripe.
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. The Sun, and others like it give plenty of reasons to boycott them, but why boycott something that is Grade A Sh1te in the first place?!?

B.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why? . . . Every newspaper makes giant f-ups from time to time, yet people still buy them . . .
    Ok, you have made a fair point, but really, mypost, are you stretching it a bit? When a newspaper makes a mistake, they know it whether they admit it or not. In the case of The Sun newspaper, they appear to strive for ever-lower standards. The paper is in and of itself a giant f-up. The fact that so many people go out and buy it stands out there among the other five sorrowful mysteries.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Never bought the Sun before and definitely won't buy it now, not with my political views!!

Weren't the Sun the ones who had headlines like WE GOT THEM when the London bombers were arrested?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    The Sun is little more than nasty right wing Tory establishment Unionist rag. They have dropped some mighty clangers down through the years. Here are some beauts:

Sir Roger Casement - The Sun has called him numerous times, 'a traitor'

Falklands War - 'Gotcha' headline when the Sun rejoiced in the sinking of the Belgrano which took hundreds of Argentine lives. It caused outrage......in the UK.

Demonization No. 1, The Miners Strike - The demonization of Arthur Scargill and the NUM signalled the Sun's relentless attacks on the trade union movement in Britain. Scargill face was even doctored to make him look like Adolf Hitler.

Demonization No. 2. Hillsborough - Disgusting article that claimed that Liverpool fans robbed the dead and dying. John Pilger wrote a brilliant article in his book "Heroes" about one family's attempt to fight the Sun and its vicious lies. Still get a great kick at seeing Liverpool barstoolers fawn over Page 3.

Demonization No. 3. The Yugoslav Civil Wars - This Sun spearheaded the right-wing in demonizing..... a whole people, the Serbs as Nazis, a vitrolic campaign not seen since the Lebensraum campaign of the Third Reich and the Ustasa went out of business circa April 1945. Enter John Pilger, John Simpson & Robert Fisk to save the day. Thanl God we still have good investigative journalists.

Euro '96, the 'Achtung' headline - On the day of the England V Germany semi final in Wembley, the Sun printed in its front page a charactature of Gazza and Stuart Pearce wearing Tommy hats that inflamed hostile feelings against the German people so much that the German Embassy complained and one Russian national was kicked to death in the centre of London beacuse a drunken mob thought he was German.

Demonization No. 4, Immigrants & asylum seekers - If the Sun had their way, they'd all be locked up and deported.

The Third Gulf War post 2003 - The Sun's unadultarated support for the Bush/Blair imperialist war machine In Iraq, a war that is clearly been fought for vested and immoral interests at the behest of the Iraqi people. Why do people still read this ****.
    Last edited by Partizan; 22/08/2005 at 7:41 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I despise the politics of the Sun, but it covers the eircom League better than any other paper, so I buy it. Thats what matters to me. I fully understand people's reason for not buying it though.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank
    Weren't the Sun the ones who had headlines like WE GOT THEM when the London bombers were arrested?
    Was coming back from Cardiff that day, headline was 'GOT THE BAST*RDS' .
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    mypost, have you read any of these "numerous apologies"?
    Yes.

There was a supposed apology last year that just turned into a 'get over it, it's been ages' sort of rant. I haven't heard of other apologies.
    There were other apologies before and after the Rooney story. Since then, in the last few months, one of the "Justice for Hillsborough" campaign groups accepted another apology from the paper for the allegations made in 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by macy
    Never bought the right wing rag anyway
    Oh dear. The paper may have a reputation in the past for being right wing, but they openly support the current UK left-wing govenment policies these days, while mocking the policies of their right-wing opponents.

or anything from the murdoch stable
    ...but it's considered ok to watch Live Premiership/La Liga football from his broadcasting corporation instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    "Achtung"
    Wrong paper. That was the Mirror's brainwave. The Sun condemned their move.

The Sun is far from angelic, and has printed gutter journalism occasionally. However, other papers are just as guilty. While the UK Sun edition can be sensationalist, the Irish edition is milder in comparison, and it's content is rarely controversial. It also has, by some distance, the best coverage of NL football. That's why the newspaper is the best selling tabloid in Ireland, and is regularly sold out here.
    Last edited by mypost; 23/08/2005 at 5:39 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Oh dear. The paper may have a reputation in the past for being right wing, but they openly support the current UK left-wing govenment policies these days, while mocking the policies of their right-wing opponents.
    Eh, New Labour are right wing. The Sun only started supporting them after Blair lurched the party to the right.

...but it's considered ok to watch Live Premiership/La Liga football from his broadcasting corporation instead?
    I've never paid sky for a subscription, and have no intention off.

Whilst you're right about it being the Mirror that did the "Achtung" headline, you're extremely easy on the Irish Sun. It is virtually the same paper, with a different headline, and some additional sport. Most of the content is exactly the same, and it's just some cop out to claim that the paper is somehow different when it simply isn't arsed covering irish news to a significant degree. Ditto the mirror. They should look to the Star which has some of the best journalists in the country and actually break interesting and significant stories.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Look at all the trees that were chopped down in the jungles to create that thrashy newspaper that wrote first degree slander about Liverpool fans. Not only that The Sun has often created a libelious issue with its foul journalism, it has created an enviromental issue by all the trees that are chopped to make the newspaper in the first place. So on the next Bonfire's night, get every Sun newspaper and burn it in your local Market Square to make your point, page three girls or no page three girls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast