Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weekend 28th/29th July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I really don’t understand the whole thing about wanting most of your squad to be from the club's local area. I think I saw someone on here use the same thing as a potential reason as to why Longford's crowds are so small because they have so many players from Dublin.

Personally I couldn’t care less what part of the world any of the Pats players come from, I care about how good they are. Yes I understand it’s nice to have a few locals in the team but by all accounts if there was a much better player available from Cork, or Beijing, I’d be all for replacing the local lad. It’s a strange GAA type mindset in my opinion
    That whole local player stuff is purely an excuse for barstoolers to not go to games. If a team is full of locals and there have been a few at Dundalk the excuse becomes 'theyre not good enough'. The single biggest influence on attracting local support is winning! Wexford's purpose, for example, is to develop local talent and fair enough, Longford its to try to be conpetative so will sign the best players that they can attract from wherever. Actually the wide geographic make up of Dundalks most successful era broadened the interest in the team well beyond Dundalk and locals didnt care that there were no locals.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 29/07/2023 at 12:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    That whole local player stuff is purely an excuse for barstoolers to not go to games. If a team is full of locals and there have been a few at Dundalk the excuse becomes 'theyre not good enough'.
    100% correct

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    It isn’t even just barstoolers either,very prevalent among those people mad into their local junior clubs and will use the local player excuse to s**t on the local LOI club,see it all the time up here anyway…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    I was surprised by how many things Tommy Barrett was doing on Matchday when I visited Treaty this year. Very much just a glance from an outsider but they seem like a club where a handful more volunteers would make a huge, huge difference.
    Really..might be open to correction....Tommy has an assistant manager,/keeper coach,....a coach....a s/c coach...a physio.....a kitman....and numerous others pottering about as well and he has time for playing keepy uppy with the subs prematch....what things would you have witnessed he does that maybe others could take on.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Really..might be open to correction....Tommy has an assistant manager,/keeper coach,....a coach....a s/c coach...a physio.....a kitman....and numerous others pottering about as well and he has time for playing keepy uppy with the subs prematch....what things would you have witnessed he does that maybe others could take on.
    But you've nothing to say to Shearer about the local players who are playing, when you said there were none ?
    Nothing either to add on the local and regional players who passed on the opportunity as detailed by Barrett in a recent interview ?

LOI in Limerick is cyclical, whether its called Limerick or Treaty, whether it plays out of the Markets or not, it ebbs from poor to a point where even better junior players don'f fancy it, to things getting a bit better, to a false dawn and then back to square one again. This weird weekly ill informed hard on you have for Barrett is just a bit strange lad. The team are about where they should be, resources wise, making up the numbers in D1 & its dull, its boring.

So, who would you appoint who would come and do it on this budget who would light up your life bishop ?
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Watched a bit of Longford/Cobh this evening ,Longfords penalty summed them up,handy enough for Cobh without having to be any great shakes….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Watched a bit of Longford/Cobh this evening ,Longfords penalty summed them up,handy enough for Cobh without having to be any great shakes….
    Spot on.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Spot on.
    We werent the same side at all when Jack Brady and Dylan Hand were suspended. No complaints with the result.Keegan has them well coached and we played into their hands quite badly.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    But you've nothing to say to Shearer about the local players who are playing, when you said there were none ?
    Nothing either to add on the local and regional players who passed on the opportunity as detailed by Barrett in a recent interview ?

LOI in Limerick is cyclical, whether its called Limerick or Treaty, whether it plays out of the Markets or not, it ebbs from poor to a point where even better junior players don'f fancy it, to things getting a bit better, to a false dawn and then back to square one again. This weird weekly ill informed hard on you have for Barrett is just a bit strange lad. The team are about where they should be, resources wise, making up the numbers in D1 & its dull, its boring.

So, who would you appoint who would come and do it on this budget who would light up your life bishop ?
    Given the rather petty comments by Shearer at the end of his post he hardly merited a reply but for you CTP i will get back to him
    Qn the above at no stage did i ever say there werent local players playing,i,ve said other things about the local aspect but not that and Tommy is the one who has constantly..in his interviews about the Treaty project ,gone on about aquiring the playing personnal from the midwest .Your correct on the cynical nature of LOI football and in that respect i am cynical about the current manager i dont buy into the big love in for Tommy and his budget ,which he has successfully used as a crutch,is no better or worse than any of the clubs bar the two fulltime teams and obviously Kerry whom Tommy is now comparing Treatys setup to,recent interview for reference, ,,,spare me.Lastly as with most jobs plenty waiting in the q to take over especially when THE big/other clubs q up to take Tommy away ,sure hes that good isn he/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Given the rather petty comments by Shearer at the end of his post he hardly merited a reply but for you CTP i will get back to him
    Qn the above at no stage did i ever say there werent local players playing,i,ve said other things about the local aspect but not that and Tommy is the one who has constantly..in his interviews about the Treaty project ,gone on about aquiring the playing personnal from the midwest .Your correct on the cynical nature of LOI football and in that respect i am cynical about the current manager i dont buy into the big love in for Tommy and his budget ,which he has successfully used as a crutch,is no better or worse than any of the clubs bar the two fulltime teams and obviously Kerry whom Tommy is now comparing Treatys setup to,recent interview for reference, ,,,spare me.Lastly as with most jobs plenty waiting in the q to take over especially when THE big/other clubs q up to take Tommy away ,sure hes that good isn he/
    The mask slips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Drogheda +4
    Treaty +4
    Longford +1
    Cork City -2
    UCD -16
    Kerry FC -18

Any newly promoted team like Cork City in the Premier Division would be targeting at least an average of 1 point per game. Cork are currently 2 points off that target while Drogheda are 4 points above that target.
    Considering Kerry are very new and inexperienced, I think an average of 1 point every other game would have been a reasonable target. It's unlikely they'll get to 18 points, or even 10 at the current rate. Kerry should have picked up at least 6 points from the last 6 games but have nothing to show for it. Inexperience, not learning from experience gained and repeating the same mistakes is frustrating.
    Waterford away are next of Friday. It should be an opportunity for Kerry to work on parking the bus before the visit of Drogheda in the FAI Cup.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    I don't see a love in bishop though, I see lethargy towards the club in the broader floating support base, no interest at all at the moment from the day trippers and the core support mostly realistic about what can be done with dust in the pockets. Its not exciting, its not going anywhere exciting & people ( most of them ) realise this isn't Tommy's fault exclusively & are realistic.

What would be handy is a few players worth a few quid coming through.
    What would also be handy is more sponsorship relationships with Mid West companies, but there are a few appearing on the website finally recently & the club did advertise this role earlier in the year, maybe they have appointed someone capable. There are a lot of companies in the region, this should be possible.

I didn't say cynical, I said cyclical. As in round and round but not going anywhere overall, repeating itself with the same outcomes, which is what senior football in Limerick has done long before Tommy Barrett was anywhere near it.

You say outside the top two pro sides we should match anyone & we are 12 points off Cobh in third at the moment with a game in hand. Three or four wins over 23 or 24 games off the pace by your own measurement here. So coming on here to throw rocks at the manager, and only at the manager comes across as an agenda. Not being able to name one suitable replacement or by your reply, not really caring who came in ( or not having a bulls notion ) reinforces that. You just want him gone and that's that, for whatever reason.

Out of interest, say we made the play offs and say we fluked our way up a division, what do you really think happens next ? 3-0 down after half an hour every week would be my thinking. Would you be happier then ?

There is a lot wrong with LOI in Limerick, again, fu ck it, there's always a lot wrong with it. It might never fix. It goes way beyond whoever is manager.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Feel bad for Twardek. He has done well when he's played. He has his limitations but so do most players in this league. Up until the last 3-4 weeks I would certainly have started Twardek over Connolly just because of Twardeks effort in attack and defence but Connolly looks like he's turned a bit of a corner he played really well in both games against Shels and was very good last night imo. If he can get a bit of consistency in his end product he'll have had a good season.

O'Sullivan was probably a bad signing last year who then picked up an injury and only got back to fitness before the start of the season. Aside from his goal against Dundalk he hasn't been up to much but he's also been playing on the wing which just doesn't look like his position. I thought he was a CM but if that's the case he'll have a hard time getting any minutes. Clarke and McManus should start every game. Bucko is the club captain so will likely play a fair bit. Flores is a bit inconsistent but has a great set piece to justify his inclusion. McDonnell is a bit of a jack of all trades, he can play most positions across the middle decently enough and has a good engine to track back and Coote excels centrally! He can create something out of nothing and very nearly did last night. That's more than enough to rotate throughout the season without even considering playing O'Sullivan.
    I think both Twardek and O'Sullivan are signed up for next year too. Both probably on a decent amount of cash. If we could get them off the books it would really free up a lot of the budget for Nutsy to work with

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    I think both Twardek and O'Sullivan are signed up for next year too. Both probably on a decent amount of cash. If we could get them off the books it would really free up a lot of the budget for Nutsy to work with
    I thought Twardek was a 2 year deal myself but I could be wrong. No recollection of O'Sullivan's contract at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Harps made hard work of that,no way we should be needing a 94th goal to win that,but a win is a win.....
    If Kerry get some better players that'll be a hard to place to go,horrible pitch and they were right up for it in the second half and got they're equaliser,think there was a bit of a scrap after the game too.....
    I was at the game - Harps were the better side in the first half but just before Harps took the lead in the 2nd half Kerry had put together the best move of the match but Sean McGrath put his shot right at the keeper.

After taking the lead Harps strangely sat back and invited the pressure on and Kerry deserved their equaliser in the 89th minute.

The winner came in the 94th minute when Leo Gaxha committed a foul after it looked like he himself had been fouled. Then bizarrely one of the Harps players, Caoimhin Porter I think, decided to run in front of the Kerry stand and taunt the fans, while the rest of the players were off celebrating. There hadn't been any stick given to him so no idea what possessed him.

I'm pretty sure this is what kicked things off at full-time. The Kerry keeper was involved and he'd already been booked so picked up a 2nd card and a red, the ref had to make quite a trek to find the Harps player involved and showed him a yellow too.

Kerry are definitely improving - other than the Astro I don't think it's that bad a venue - obviously for Harps it's a horrible trip.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I was at the game - Harps were the better side in the first half but just before Harps took the lead in the 2nd half Kerry had put together the best move of the match but Sean McGrath put his shot right at the keeper.

After taking the lead Harps strangely sat back and invited the pressure on and Kerry deserved their equaliser in the 89th minute.

The winner came in the 94th minute when Leo Gaxha committed a foul after it looked like he himself had been fouled. Then bizarrely one of the Harps players, Caoimhin Porter I think, decided to run in front of the Kerry stand and taunt the fans, while the rest of the players were off celebrating. There hadn't been any stick given to him so no idea what possessed him.

I'm pretty sure this is what kicked things off at full-time. The Kerry keeper was involved and he'd already been booked so picked up a 2nd card and a red, the ref had to make quite a trek to find the Harps player involved and showed him a yellow too.

Kerry are definitely improving - other than the Astro I don't think it's that bad a venue - obviously for Harps it's a horrible trip.
    what did you make of gaxha? think hes one who could definitely play up. not seen him in a while though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    what did you make of gaxha? think hes one who could definitely play up. not seen him in a while though
    He's decent in that he's able to hold up the ball well and link play. Kelliher scored a couple of goals against us this season - a lovely header in the heavy defeat in EDP earlier this season - but his touch is terrible. I thought Sean McGrath had a good game for Kerry too - obviously similar in stature to Gaxha.

Funny thing about Gaxha was he was positioned off the left up against the Fijian lad Wara who is about 6'4" and the stature of a rugby player. A few of the other new Harps signings are more physical too.

For Kerry there's certainly the makings of an ok team, defensively they're getting better organised but probably need to be more solid in midfield. He's obviously very young but all I ever see Cian Barrett do is go around kicking lads and then when he finally gets booked stops.

They've 6 points so far this season - I'd expect them to at least double that total by the end of the season.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The club needs investment if to grow but they have been clear from the start developing local links with colleges and relationships . Buying and developing facilities was the project from the start . I have never heard Barrett mention it being a project . Honest in the interviews . Only amatuer team in the league and that's an issue that they need to address as a lot of the other teams getting more professional Athlone harps train full time and cobh have invested very well . Bray and Wexford a lot of lads whose main job is football too. The team have done very well to get in playoffs the last two years ahead of the likes of cork bray Wexford etc ..won't make it this year and had a great cup run last year so it's mostly been positive . I don't know how much more could be expected considering the only time I can remember Limerick FC get out of the FD was when bucket loads of money at it and that took Pat Scully a few years a bit like JC in Galway . Martin Russell got them straight up after being relegated on a big budget but struggled in the premier . The interest is not there sadly and either is the infrastructure or fan base ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Limerick won it by 23 points in 2016,it was only a 28 game season aswell ,dropped only 9 points ….

Cobh got 77 points in 2007 in a 36 game season ,its the highest points total as far as I can see ….

Limerick’s 75 in 28 games in 2016 is definitely the most impressive though….
    Points-per-game record is Derry in 1986/87 - 16 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat in their 18.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Kilkenny City had 2 points from 27 matches in '94/'95.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast