Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team to play France

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Zayed, I respect that it's your opinion, but you must be the only person left in the country who thinks (a) Carr is better than Finnan, (b) Holland has anything to offer, and (c) the most glaring one of all, that Duff is best used upfront, despite about 15 abjectly failed outings in that position.

Please, please tell me you're taking the p1ss. If not I'd love to hear your reasoning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I Dont think this is the time for experimenting with formations or players in different positions as far as I am concerned. I dont think that kerr thinks it is . I am sure between now and the game he will be giving a few interviews hinting that we are plaing 4 5 1 or that we may try O Shea in midfield. I would not be fooled by this. I think that could be just to keep the French guessing.

I am pretty sure he will go with

Given
    Carr/Finnan
    Cunningham
    O Brien
    O Shea

Reid/Finnan
    Keane
    Kilbane
    Duff

Morrison
    Keane
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Neil,

That is nearly the same team I would like to see, but am I the only one who thinks that O'Shea is way too risky at LB?? He was the main culprit in the Israel game at Lansdowne, he's okay going forward, but looks shakey as hell defending, I am not Harte's biggest fan since WC 02, but he has played well in his last 2.5 games!!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    I Dont think this is the time for experimenting with formations or players in different positions as far as I am concerned. I dont think that kerr thinks it is . I am sure between now and the game he will be giving a few interviews hinting that we are plaing 4 5 1 or that we may try O Shea in midfield. I would not be fooled by this. I think that could be just to keep the French guessing.

I am pretty sure he will go with

Given
    Carr/Finnan
    Cunningham
    O Brien
    O Shea

Reid/Finnan
    Keane
    Kilbane
    Duff

Morrison
    Keane

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Seanie, you're right but no solution is perfect at the moment. You can play Finnan at LB, requiring Carr to come in at RB. You can play Harte there but he too would be a gamble, probably a bigger one. You could even keep Finnan at RB and move Carr to LB but that experiment didn't look good in Glasgow in May. Dunne was mentioned above but I don't think Kerr will entertain that idea.

It's a tough one but I couldn't complain if O'Shea was picked there because the alternatives have their drawbacks too. If he keeps his concentration & applies himself I think he'll be fine. He doubled up well with Duff in Paris and the fact that he has started twice for MUFC so far will give him the nod over Harte I reckon. He looked good in MUFC's win over Everton. On Match of The Day the BBC ignored commenting on his quality pinpoint cross to RVN so they could get a boner over Rooney's simple 10 yard pass to JOSH in the build up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Zayed, I respect that it's your opinion, but you must be the only person left in the country who thinks (a) Carr is better than Finnan, (b) Holland has anything to offer, and (c) the most glaring one of all, that Duff is best used upfront, despite about 15 abjectly failed outings in that position.

Please, please tell me you're taking the p1ss. If not I'd love to hear your reasoning.
    I'm not taking the mick Stuttgart but IMO:

(A) I think Carr (when fit) is a better player than Finnan. Carr is more solid in defence and will provide better crosses into the box.
    (B) Although Holland has been struggling with a few injuries, he still has a lot to offer. I’m going with experience here.
    (C) Duff's best position is on the wing but I don't think Morrison is up to the job. He's not strong enough (doesn’t hold the ball up well) and in fairness we have no one else with enough quality in that position.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayed9
    Duff's best position is on the wing but I don't think Morrison is up to the job. He's not strong enough (doesn’t hold the ball up well) and in fairness we have no one else with enough quality in that position.
    Sure, I just think it's been proven time & again that Duff is wasted upfront and we're moving our most dangerous player from where he plays best to where he causes least damage. Italy triple-marked him at times last week. They wouldn't have had to if he was upfront.

I'm actually optimistic about the France game but if Duff were to play upfron I'd put our chances as close to zero.

If you isolate the periods when Duff played upfront against Israel I think we lost 3-0!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zayed9
    I'm not taking the mick Stuttgart but IMO:

(A) I think Carr (when fit) is a better player than Finnan. Carr is more solid in defence and will provide better crosses into the box.
    (B) Although Holland has been struggling with a few injuries, he still has a lot to offer. I’m going with experience here.
    (C) Duff's best position is on the wing but I don't think Morrison is up to the job. He's not strong enough (doesn’t hold the ball up well) and in fairness we have no one else with enough quality in that position.
    I agree with everything you said with the exception of Morrison not being good enough. He was excellent against the French until he got injured in Paris and he's always liable to conjure up a goal (sometimes out of nothing) even if he does float in and out of games.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Even Duff himself says he doesn't want to play upfront. He hates it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Given

Carr O'Brien Conningham Finnan

Reid O'Shea Keane Kilbane Duff

Keane

This team would earn a draw, which I reckon Kerr will be playing for and would be happy with.
    The battle in the middle is gonna be tough. If we can nullify the danger presented by ZZ/Makelele/Viera, then a draw will be achievable.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It'll probably be gregory coupet in goal for france, decent keeper but no great shakes. I'd be hesitant to play Andy Reid against the French, he's a good player but I'd feel more secure with Carr and Finnan down the right flank, which would nullify France on that side. I'd even be worried bringing him on towards the end, as France are capable of winning a game with the last two kicks of a game (ask England!).
    My team, injuries permitting, would be:
    -------------Given
    Carr---O'Brien---Cunningham---O'Shea
    Finann--Roy Keane-Kilbane--Duff
    -----Morrison---Robbie Keane

Okay, not very original there but in my opinion it's our strongest, most balanced side (although against weaker teams I'd favour Andy Reid instead of Finnan). Harte and Steven Reid could play a role too IMO, but only with Kilbane switched to the left to cover for him and Duff switched to the right.
    Whaddya think, guys?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chancer
    My team, injuries permitting, would be:
    -------------Given
    Carr---O'Brien---Cunningham---O'Shea
    Finann--Roy Keane-Kilbane--Duff
    -----Morrison---Robbie Keane

Okay, not very original there but in my opinion it's our strongest, most balanced side (although against weaker teams I'd favour Andy Reid instead of Finnan).
    Whaddya think, guys?
    Hi Chancer, welcome aboard.

That's the same team as we put out in Paris isn't it?.

I agree that your selection will be well balanced & it could be useful to have attacking options from the bench such as Reid and Elliott.

It's funny how Kerr has gone from "draw away, win at home" to "draw away, and then two draws at home won't be too bad either". And the way results have gone he's probably right. We can't change the Israel result(s) now so we can only look forward. Another 7 points ought to guarantee second place (unless Israel wins in Switzerland) and will win the group outright if France fails to beat Switzerland & Israel fails to win in Switzerland) so a draw isn't that bad a result. But winning all 3 removes uncertainty & I think we should go for it.

I'd be happier taking the game to the French & with Reid and Duff both playing they could interchange & we'd get the best out of Duff. With Finnan in the side Duff will have to stay on the left & that'll make it easier for the French to contain him.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Firstly, thanks! Feels good to be welcomed by a first teamer!;-)
    I guess it depends if we want to attack them or just not lose...not sure if it's the same team that started vs France last time, I know Andy Reid was playing then but he may have come on as a sub.
    Hopefully 7 points will be enough to qualify directly, as I worry about the playoffs (not our forte!). I'd love a win against the French and I can see it happening (the French don't need much to be cocky, and that suits us), but I'd be worried about throwing everything at them as it would leave us vulnerable to a sucker punch. Your argument for the inclusion of Reid is a good one...it's 50/50 in my mind, ultimately no matter who plays on the day doesn't matter as long as they work their socks off! If we're up for this one on the day, I don't think anything can stand in our way, not even Zidane!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Given - Who else
    Finnan - Dependable and usually does the simple things well
    Cunningham - Solid, experienced. Talks well during the game.
    Dunne - If match fit. Always rises to the occasion in big games
    Ian Harte - Dont write off the man yet. Has been composed and dependable since his return. Always an attacking option
    Andy Reid
    John O' Shea - Took control of a midfield that was falling apart v Italy. Has the pace and the know how. Will make up for Roys diminished engine. Less likely to be punished from his tendancy to make the odd faux pas at the back and has a good eye for a long ball and can cause trouble when he gets foward.
    Roy Keane - Written off as an auld fella. Keano isnt going out to make up the numbers
    Duffer - Play the man in his best position. Will torment the French all night.
    Robbie - Robbie is Robbie. Time to deliver again.
    Elliott - Was only on for a short period against the French but took up great positions. Great close control in tight spaces and full of running. Has not disappointed in an Irish shirt to date. The italians could read Clints body language like a book. You wont get that with Elliott.

Nice balance of youth and experience. Mobile, attacking and will score goals. Will leak a goal too sadly.

Ireland 2 - France 1 - Listen to me Brian
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is a crucial World Cup qualifier really the best time to try O'Shea in a new position? I mean, I know he played well there for us against Italy for a while, but how can that be enough to play him there in such an important game? Maybe if injury forces us, but otherwise Zindedine Kilbane should start IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    one player that i wouldnt start is Elliott. He looks good but really needs an awful lot of work to bring himself up to EPL standard. Clint has far more experience than Elliott and has scored more goals and played more matches with robbie. Plus clinton and robbie's styles are opposite and work well.

Eliott is however someone you can bring on from the bench if things arent going your way after an hour. Eliott needs far more friendlies IMO.

Ian Hearte is a strange case. Half the time I expect him to slip up but he has done well since he has came back under Kerr. I dont know if that is just all an illusion because its mostly friendlies he has played in. But if he was getting regular first team football then he might be a good attacking option to have on the pitch.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1. Given
    2. Finnan
    3. Harte
    4. Cunningham
    5. O'Shea
    6. Roy Keane
    7. Andy Reid
    8. Kilbane
    9. Morrison
    10. Robbie Keane
    11. Duff

Harte should play because of his good quality from set pieces... they might be our only hope if Zidane Vieira makalele thuram henry trezegeut all play well!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ok, I must have missed something when I was away for a good part of the summer. I notice O'Brien is in many people's teams.... isn't he suspended because of the red card against Isreal? Or was he able to get it rescinded?

Fair play to FIFA or UEFA if was able to get it overturned.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feo123
    1. Given
    2. Finnan
    3. Harte
    4. Cunningham
    5. O'Shea
    6. Roy Keane
    7. Andy Reid
    8. Kilbane
    9. Morrison
    10. Robbie Keane
    11. Duff

Harte should play because of his good quality from set pieces... they might be our only hope if Zidane Vieira makalele thuram henry trezegeut all play well!!

I thought Trez was out because of red card suspension too.

Hmmm.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Maybe your right, didnt he get sent off against Israel.. hopefully he is out!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Trezeguet is suspended. Andy O'Brien served his 1 match suspension against Faroe Islands. FIFA looked at the tapes and determined 1 game was enough(i.e., the ref was wrong!).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast