Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derry Result

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Derry Result

Obviously very dissapointing but certainly not the end of the world. Tough task. I had a good bet on City today so was confident beforehand. In retrospect it was asking too much of the team. They're not machines. You can throw in all the old soccer cliches but sometimes they are true. If we were offered this position at the start of the season we would have grabbed it. Bad day at the office etc. In a way it reaffirms the task ahead of City. Derry are genuine challengers. This is the part where Damien Richardson gets tested. He looked a bit forlorn at the final whistle. I think much depends on John O' Flynn and i wish i wasn't saying that. We will need a run of goals from him. I cant see it any other way. By way of debate does anyone think he should be dropped and Behan or Bruton get a chance? Flynn is away with the fairies at the moment and i hope he returns soon. His confidence has hit a real low point but one goal could change all that. Should City persevere or give one of the other lads a chance? Behan's scoring rate has been good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I taped the match, I had to go to the Bray match first, and watching it it looked like Derry knew how to turn up the pressure when they wanted and what a goal by Molloy!!
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Molloys goal looked great on slo-mo, but he admitted afterwards that it was a mis-hit shot, wouldn't happen again in a thousand attempts. City were pressing and would have got a draw at least. That said, Derry were brilliant in the first half, easily the best attacking team in the league. Cork can match them for creative play but don't have the threat...Fenn offers touch, intelligence, surprise and the odd goal..O'Flynn gives us sulks, dummy runs, the odd feint and the odder goal. He doesn't play any link football with the team, doesn't pass within sight of goal, so goals are his only asset. Tonight he missed sitters. Behan would have looked worse and scored at least one. We need a striker.

That said, the challenge presented now is better than having a 'cushion' of six or more points. We will win the league from here if we are better than Derry over 11 games, including a last day against them at the Cross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    bad result for ye alright,hopefully ye can recover quickly from this and get back to winning ways

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schunter Netz
    Molloys goal looked great on slo-mo, but he admitted afterwards that it was a mis-hit shot, wouldn't happen again in a thousand attempts
    he said he miss hit it but then he said "ah no"jokingly.He clearly ment it and what a way to cap a fine preformance.
    Anyway great match,plenty of talking points but brilliant entertainment. Good to see such a big and vocal crowd,i sign that the Eircom league is alive and well and is begining to hold its own and the English League.
    Last edited by The Stars; 19/08/2005 at 11:42 PM. Reason: I cant spell own

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    Good to see such a big and vocal crowd,i sign that the Eircom league is alive and well and is begining to hold its own and the English League.
    The Shels Bohs match was held back 10 minutes due to the crowd. Apparently a big attendance there too. And as you say re the support at Derry, well done to them. Nobody likes losing but i prefer being beaten by Derry than a Dublin team. I have always found their fans polite and friendly. What has maybe impressed the people who watch soccer on TV is the passion of the support from Cork and Derry. Hopefully anyway. So well done Derry but all going well i hope a trophy is awarded the next time ye play Cork. To Cork obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was a great advertisment for the league! Best atmosphere ever at the Brandy (except Harps play-off possibly). At the end the City fans went over to the Corkies and we all sang a rousing "**** the dubs" and "Ollie Byrne is a footie hooligan", was superb and a legendary city and el moment. Hand-shakes and good wishes all around, most of the Cork support is away on the lash now with city fans. Enjoy and safe journey!
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Was a great advertisment for the league! Best atmosphere ever at the Brandy (except Harps play-off possibly). At the end the City fans went over to the Corkies and we all sang a rousing "**** the dubs" and "Ollie Byrne is a footie hooligan", was superb and a legendary city and el moment. Hand-shakes and good wishes all around, most of the Cork support is away on the lash now with city fans. Enjoy and safe journey!
    Well said mate. If it was Shels who beat us they would on here hammering us. Fair play to you. Safe journey home is the important thing. Tough on the Cork City fans who travelled. All i can say is this for me is message of the month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Great post!

Flynny was dangerous last night and just didnt put the ball in the net.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Last night was a great result for Derry .It is now a 2 horse race .Great to hear both sets of fans got on so well.The last game of the season should see alot of Derry fans come to Cork .Great credit is due to Stephan Kenny.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How long have we heard "he's just lacking a bit of confidence" about O'Flynn. Behan was banging in goals before he got injured and he probably would have buried one of Flynny's chances last night. Suggesting that an off-form player should be replaced by a proven goal scorer is not getting on anyone's back. O'Flynn covers a lot of ground, but so does a headless chicken.
    Where 'ere you be let your wind go free...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    . . . the challenge presented now is better than having a 'cushion' of six or more points.
    Well said. I believe that our team will play to a higher standard knowing that Derry are snapping at their heels. I also think that as we enter the final series of 11 games with such a slim advantage, the home and away support will be a lot bigger.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by radar
    Obviously very dissapointing but certainly not the end of the world. Tough task. I had a good bet on City today so was confident beforehand. In retrospect it was asking too much of the team. They're not machines. You can throw in all the old soccer cliches but sometimes they are true. If we were offered this position at the start of the season we would have grabbed it. Bad day at the office etc. In a way it reaffirms the task ahead of City. Derry are genuine challengers. This is the part where Damien Richardson gets tested. He looked a bit forlorn at the final whistle. I think much depends on John O' Flynn and i wish i wasn't saying that. We will need a run of goals from him. I cant see it any other way. By way of debate does anyone think he should be dropped and Behan or Bruton get a chance? Flynn is away with the fairies at the moment and i hope he returns soon. His confidence has hit a real low point but one goal could change all that. Should City persevere or give one of the other lads a chance? Behan's scoring rate has been good.
    no way would i start Behan or Bruton they are not title winning forwards

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Banterboy

I only mentioned the O Flynn issue "by way of debate". Surely raising a topic here dosen't amount to getting on a players back. I share your doubts about Behan. But whoever is picked gets my full and absolute support. Flynny is snatching at chances and rushing things at the moment. He seems anxious when in with a chance. I would give anything for him to start banging them in and like i said City may well need this to happen. And what of Bruton? He is a recent purchase so Richardson must have some faith in him. But regardless we all support the same club.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Very disappointing game from a CCFC perspective. We weren't up for it on the night and were caught cold early on. Derry closed us down well and gave us no time on the ball. We had no width at all with Liam and Roy not really in the game.
    We got a lucky penalty but after 21 years of oppression by LOI refs its too little too late in my view. Dan was caught out bad for the goal, I'd say Stephen O'Flynn couldn't believe his luck. If we hadn't conceded then I reckon we'd have escaped with a draw.
    Thought Dan could have walked for his foul on Farren but then the Derry full back Brennans 2 footed lunge after 25 mins or so could have seen him walk also.
    Their penalty shout looked valid enough at first but on further reflection the shot hit Bennett on the thigh and ricocheted up onto his arm, it would have been a harsh call.
    I do think a few of our lads looked jaded but 6 days off now should help some bit.
    Of course a few doubts can creep in now but we must remain positive, remember lads the title is in our own hands. we're still top of the league.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by banterboy
    . . . denis behan referred to as a 'PROVEN GOALSCORER' ..what drugs are u on . . . ..he has 4 goals i think this season..not bad granted but lets be honest everybody is siuprised to see his name on the scoresheet....open to correction here but is he not our top scorer???
    As far as I remember, he scored those four goals in consecutive games early in the season, including a vital away goal at Flancare early on, and that contender for goal of the season against Shels in the home leg of the Setanta Cup. He broke a cheek bone then and missed out on 5 or 6 weeks. So, he hardly can be blamed for not being on the scoresheet more often.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Molloys goal looked great on slo-mo, but he admitted afterwards that it was a mis-hit shot, wouldn't happen again in a thousand attempts.
    As mentioned earlier, Molloy said it was an accident purely in jest. He said he saw a chance and took it.

If you're in any doubt as to his intentions when he hit that ball, just look at the position of his body when he hits it on the replays on Eircom league Weekly. His stance was that of someone taking a targetted shot - not just dropping the ball into the box. There is a clear difference in body position when you hit a ball to do those 2 things, and it shows very clearly in Molloy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    At the end the City fans went over to the Corkies and we all sang a rousing "**** the dubs"
    Which Dubs would they be? The ones both clubs owe their success to this season?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I haven't seen the match on tv yet but is strange when can lose 1-3 & believe seen game of the season.

Credit for Derry in upping the tempo of the game from the start i assume in belief we could be tired from so many games. Cork City didn't play to their best but took crap defending & fluke goal to beat us. Overall though can't argue with the result.

I'm still optimistic for the rest of the season as we didn't panic when losing & kept passing the ball.

O'Flynn is living off reputation. Its not acceptable that can only get shot on target 1-2 times from 6-7 chances. 7 League goals in probably 20 games is not good enough!

Well done to both sets of fans at the game & afterwards. Some great banter 7 not a hint of trouble.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by radar
    But regardless we all support the same club.
    I dont support your club!! Im a neutral

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast