Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Friday 7th July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Thought we played quite strangely tonight. Went weirdly defensive when we were winning but in the process also had players uncomfortably out of position and were asking for Cork to equalise which they duly did. Doubly frustrating with the results elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Never a penalty at the end of the game tonight but Derry deserved the win. Really upped it the last half hour or so. Being able to bring on so many experienced players showed. Patching excellent.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I just think by general footballing standards (for the want of a much better term here) winning 4 in a row basically slots him in automatically to the one of the greats category. Not to mention group stage appearance in Europe, although I know that comes with the caveat that the ECL made it much easier.
    I'm probably being a bit harsh on him to make a point in fairness. But yeah, the Conference League qualification isn't that hard - beating sides from Malta and North Macedonia was all it took. And bunny's right that Euro money is distorting leagues everywhere; 4-in-a-rows are becoming far more common

I think McLaughlin and Kenny in particular built great teams at multiple clubs. I'm not convinced Bradley would succeed at, say, Shels or Pat's, and I'm not convinced a manager like Pete Mahon (to pick a random solid but unspectacular LoI manager - there's probably a better more recent example!) wouldn't achieve what Bradley has at Rovers

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Disappointing in drogheda tonight. A much more open / end to end game particularly in the 1st half. Both hit the bar but neither deserved to win so Corks late goal was very welcome as much as Derrys late pen was unwelcome.

need a big uptick for tue, nut I’d expect O’Neill and Farrugia back which will be a big diff.

is `Burt injured?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I will say Clarke was the game changer. He introduced so much energy
    Can’t understand how Devine plays McDonnell as a no10 ahead of Clarke.
    McDonnell is v limited that far forward. He’s a DM all day long.
    Bohs could do with Coote back too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    You'd swear we were spending Dundalk kinds of money. Bottomless finances? If we had that Jack Byrne would be tied down, Jake Mulraney would have scored for us tonight and Colm Whelan might not have gotten injured.

Still very happy with Bradley. Right behind Pete Mahon on the all time great list though to be fair to Stu.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Pete mahon would have won 3 in a row for this Rovers team - what a beautifully nonsensical thing to suggest.

Jim McLaughlin is/was the greatest manager in LOI history, irrespective of what qualifying circumstances he encountered when at the height of his powers.
    Bradser, in conjunction with McPhail has built a modern, professional club at Rovers, and their "legacy" will last a long, long time irrespective of how long either remains at the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    You'd swear we were spending Dundalk kinds of money.
    Ah in fairness, ye're miles ahead of anyone else at the moment in terms of finances. Was it three mill for Europe last year alone? That's close to what Dundalk earned for the Europa League. (And should have been another three mill the year before but for losing home and away to Flora Tallinn). The lesson from around Europe is that lots of clubs can use European money to dominate local leagues. It's nothing unusual these days unfortunately.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Another very flat display from Rovers tonight, created little to nothing throughout, either did Drogheda really, really really poor game of ball but Drogs definitely deserving of a point. Rovers will have to up things massively for next week.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah in fairness, ye're miles ahead of anyone else at the moment in terms of finances. Was it three mill for Europe last year alone? That's close to what Dundalk earned for the Europa League. (And should have been another three mill the year before but for losing home and away to Flora Tallinn). The lesson from around Europe is that lots of clubs can use European money to dominate local leagues. It's nothing unusual these days unfortunately.

Last season was the first time we had the league's biggest budget in recent times as far as I'm aware and even then Derry were able to beat us to multiple players. We have more now alright but the team this season is essentially the same as last so it's not as if we've spent big to stay ahead. I'd argue we are being a bit too frugal at the moment to be honest. As I said we missed out on quite a few in the off season that could have helped us now. Only 3 were loans brought in when we should have gotten Mulraney, Whelan and maybe O'Reilly.

Regardless of all that, Bradley will still be regarded higher by Rovers supporters than others and that's fine. We know where we were and we know where we are. I hope he stays here a long time.....unless Pete Mahon puts his hand up of course.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Another very flat display from Rovers tonight, created little to nothing throughout, either did Drogheda really, really really poor game of ball but Drogs definitely deserving of a point. Rovers will have to up things massively for next week.
    All fair. Thought Drogheda defended very well but they lacked the Draper presence up front so couldn't really get anything going in our half. We had enough of the ball but did nothing with it which isn't good enough with the likes of Burke, Gaffney and Watts on the field. We just aren't with it right now. Usually when we struggle we can rely on wing backs scoring or Gaffney doing something on his own but without Clarke and Farrugia we haven't got the pace to get in the box and Gaffney isn't at his best.

Badly, badly need Byrne, O'Neill and Farrugia or Europe won't be a distraction from the league for very long at all.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Great game at the RSC last night. Waterford played some super football at times but Longford always seem to raise their game against us and Galway. Parsons and Coughlan missed great chances late on to win it which would have been a good win as we were a man down for most of 2nd half.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Again I don’t (can’t) argue this however I am not sure what your point is about him being “unique”… the LOI has had plenty of “unique” managers…
    ah here in that he manged a team in the LOI to 4 league titles in a row.
    Anyway Rovers have been very ordinary this year, its only when they go behind do we see that extra pace, the desire to score and that extra gear has been needed a lot this year. Winning the league again takes preference and getting that 4th in a row is so important to fans. But Rovers need to then really look at getting the age profile of the team and blooding our youth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    We have more now alright but the team this season is essentially the same as last so it's not as if we've spent big to stay ahead. I'd argue we are being a bit too frugal at the moment to be honest.
    Does that not reflect on Bradley a bit though? Don't forget ye're pulling in half a mill a year more in gate receipts too than Dundalk ever did (rough back-of-the-envelope calculations). Plus decent transfer fees, which Dundalk rarely got. I don't see how you can say ye're not at Dundalk levels of spending tbh.

Dundalk's biggest mistake was keeping the same squad together too long I think. Rovers seem to be repeating that

Regardless of all that, Bradley will still be regarded higher by Rovers supporters than others and that's fine.
    Absolutely. And we've seen Stephen Kenny dismissed as not one of the best LoI managers so we know we have to adjust for bias there

You don't like Pete? Decent manager; took Pat's from a relegation battle to going through two rounds of Europe. Beat better teams than Hibs and Shkupi too. Had UCD properly competitive as well. But ok - put Stephen O'Donnell, Keith Long, Liam Buckley or even Jon Daly, all solid but unspectacular managers too, in there and I think ye'd be doing as well tbh.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Weird 4-0 win for Shels last night considering our struggles with finishing in the final third there was an opportunity for an even bigger winning margin. Lunney's finish was an absolute beaut

For the past 3 seasons everytime I've seen us play UCD I've always said after the game "that's the worst UCD team I've seen at LOI level" and no question that UCD team last night is by far the worst UCD team I've ever seen in the LOI, I would worry for them this will be their last season in Premier Division for a long time

Also to add my contribution to the Bradley debate, he's a good manager, a bad manager wouldn't have lasted to win 3 leagues in a row, but with the largest budget, best squad by a distance, Cork/Dundalk capitulating, Derry/Pats wasting chunks of their decent budgets on sub standard players Bradley has had all of the absolute favourable conditions at Rovers to win those 3 titles and from watching each of these Rovers teams since 2020 they are in a gradual decline each season not improving so there would be a large question mark for me hanging over Bradley in greatest LOI manager of all time debates
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    You'd swear we were spending Dundalk kinds of money. Bottomless finances? If we had that Jack Byrne would be tied down, Jake Mulraney would have scored for us tonight and Colm Whelan might not have gotten injured.

Still very happy with Bradley. Right behind Pete Mahon on the all time great list though to be fair to Stu.
    I was being flippant with the bottomless finances comment but it is relative also. Rovers have shown restraint in their budgeting, it isnt that they couldnt sign players it was that they wouldnt if demands were deemed exsessive, there is a difference. They can also limit the number of kitchen sinks needed due to the stability thats provided to players - its like players forgoing a part of a wage to guarantee that they will always be paid. Longer term contracts help limit the inflation of a clubs wage bill year on year also. Coming to the end of players conracts, performance related bonuses, and a squad rebuild will force significant increases to that 4th highest budget, as player look for a premium from a club that they know has the ability to pay.

I do think Rovers, certainly this season and in Europe, should be better given the squad and financial clout. It was the same for the likes of Doolin at Drogheda, took a lot of money and a season or 2 too long for him to win the league. Im sure there are other examples - league and cup winning managers that still struggled at times with clearly the strongest squad and one that can be strengthened if and when necessary.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 08/07/2023 at 9:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Also neither McLaughlin or Kenny managed a 4 in a row …. So if we win the title this season Bradley will be the first manager to achieve that … which will make him unique
    Again this is relative, Not not wanting to take away from potentially winning a 4 in a row - it would be a super achievement and is all that will ultimately be on a roll of honour. But Rovers lack another club breathing down their neck. The Seanie season prevented a Dundalk 6 in a row. Rovers are clearly the strongest squad during this era, it was nip and tuck between Dundalk and Cork with last day of the season decider stuff in the previous decade. I think the absence of a toe to toe rival has blunted Rovers, they dont have to be outstanding every game, they can be very average and still win. It's not conducive to being European football ready either - not Rovers or Bradley's fault of course but you do need all ducks lined up to improve in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    HT | Sorry to everyone about the camera, had to bring it back for one game. Will have the normal setup back for the next home game!
    https://twitter.com/KerryFC/status/1...qYDVpGIUA&s=19
    Kerry FC apologised at half time for using the farcical automated camera. The first and third goals of the game were not caught on camera. Some people were calling it a security camera. If the automated camera missed two goals, it wouldn't make for a great security camera. The bank would be broken into and the camera would be looking elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    About as good as it gets for a fan in an isolated game of football in Dalymount last night. To come from behind late on after a frustrating run of form, in a match where you were trying not to let the frustration get the better of you. Had the kids in with me and what an experience for them. Glad more people are coming to games these days and getting that live match experience instead of just telly. Those moments in a stadium are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Never a penalty at the end of the game tonight but Derry deserved the win. Really upped it the last half hour or so. Being able to bring on so many experienced players showed. Patching excellent.
    I thought it was a penalty at the time, and watching it back I still think it is. Cian Kavanagh did well to draw the foul and got his heels clipped.

We were good for the last half hour, but we did look vulnerable at the back. Patching played well when he came on, great to have him back.
    The new lad McMullan played the full game, his first in two months. Certainly looks like he could be a useful player.

Danny Lafferty was causing us plenty of problems and it was a lovely striker for his goal.
    Still not quite sure how Sligo are so inconsistent, they really should be higher up the table.

For us, it's exactly what we needed, and a nice boost going to Tórshavn next week.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast