Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 30th June to 1st July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Clearly and Hoare were absolutely DIRE but what's new. It will be individual mistakes in the back 3 again that haunt Rovers in Europe. They are weak links no matter how much people continue to hype them up. Better opposition will expose them.
    hoare has never ever been a euro level player, even with dundalk. hes been getting exposed for years in the quals. rovers badly need a bit of fresh blood in over the window. still think they are a bit one paced in midfield even with farruiga. defence isnt the quickest either, pico is a good defender but hes not quick. should look into a new cb in the window if they want to make a run at ECL groups again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Nice one Oriel, yeah it's mad being in a city that has nightlife running all night, relatively free of drunken aggressive tw#ts, food and drink are dirt cheap, women are tanned and beautiful, and no blokes have ****ty 80's era taxi driver moustaches. It's like the complete polar opposite of dublin.
    The result tonight in OP is the result, I've had my heart broken enough times there in 40 years for it to be like water off a ducks back.
    In fairness, Dublin post covid in has become a vermin infested dystopia, like a Shams away section writ large, that said I got followed around the Alto one night by a squad of Cape Verdians making throat slashing gestures in my direction so it's not all good in Lisbon either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    In fairness, Dublin post covid in has become a vermin infested dystopia, like a Shams away section writ large, that said I got followed around the Alto one night by a squad of Cape Verdians making throat slashing gestures in my direction so it's not all good in Lisbon either.
    Barrio Alto has its fair share of drunken ****s too. It’s like a Portuguese temple bar. But generally Lisbon is wonderful. Alfama is particularly lovely.
    You’re right about Dublin post covid though - it’s become an even worse hell hole. I had dinner yesterday eve on Capel st and had to endure 4 junkies shouting and screaming at each other on the street just a few feet from my table. Not to mention the groups of menacing teens roaming the north inner city. It’s always been bad but post covid its shockin!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Barrio Alto has its fair share of drunken ****s too. It’s like a Portuguese temple bar. But generally Lisbon is wonderful. Alfama is particularly lovely.
    You’re right about Dublin post covid though - it’s become an even worse hell hole. I had dinner yesterday eve on Capel st and had to endure 4 junkies shouting and screaming at each other on the street just a few feet from my table. Not to mention the groups of menacing teens roaming the north inner city. It’s always been bad but post covid its shockin!
    Portugal has taken progressive steps towards harm reduction in relation to hard drug use, when any such moves even towards decriminalization of cannabis are proposed here we have the usual pearl clutchers from the usual drug charities having a conniption on RTE, subtext; how dare you threaten our well paid jobs, meaning the only injection center in Dublin is saving the home support at Itchycore.

Defund the NGOs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    pats sign another keeper. odumosu/rodgers leaving?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    pats sign another keeper. odumosu/rodgers leaving?
    Talk of Rogers to Cork.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Talk of Rogers to Cork.
    Tiernan Brooks is signing for Cork City.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Even enough affair between Treaty and Bray. Shane Hallahan with some big saves when called upon.

9 of the matchday squad were from the locality too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    I think you're getting a bit blinded by the scoreline Kiki. Fair enough I suppose but it was far more even than that.
    That's the thing though it's not meant to be even, when you compare the squads Rovers are meant to be fair stronger and superior to Dundalk. Yes Rovers are missing key players but so are Dundalk that's why we are so pleased with the result and performance. We shouldn't be competing with Rovers and winning but we did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    For me last night ( as discussed on a previous thread) was just yet another example of a team raising their game against Rovers , and then subsequently reverting to type.

The Dundalk commentators even mentioned how this was the best they’ve played all year …. Must be strange to follow a team that operates with such an inferiority mindset then again that’s the joy of being a Rovers fan we never feel that way…. So for Dundalk it’s understandable as they are the poster boy for such behaviour literally ( we won it in Talaght) ?

Next up Drogheda who are undefeated against us in last five
    You're taking the result well I see ?

It's not so long ago the shoe was on the other foot and Rovers fans enthusiastically celebrated the odd result against Dundalk despite it meaning little in the grand scheme of things. Football is a game of boom and bust even more so in the LOI, don't forget it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Pats really put UCD to the sword last night. Good to see them so ruthless, and still trying to score right to the whistle. Not so pretty if you’re UCD, and hard to take much from it in the overall context of the league. Great night though. Don’t think I’ve seen us score 7 before.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Portugal has taken progressive steps towards harm reduction in relation to hard drug use, when any such moves even towards decriminalization of cannabis are proposed here we have the usual pearl clutchers from the usual drug charities having a conniption on RTE, subtext; how dare you threaten our well paid jobs, meaning the only injection center in Dublin is saving the home support at Itchycore.

Defund the NGOs.
    I was in Lisbon for a few days last year and it was terrific, for all the reasons quoted in previous posts.

But my g/f was a bit apprehensive, since the only other time we had both been there together was in the mid 80's, and it was very disappointing. From the moment we got off the train at Central Station, it seemed full of junkies, homeless and dodgy street traders etc, with the whole place being very poor and down-at-heel. Though tbf, it wasn't that long since they'd emerged from a military dictatorship (1974), but before EU money started pouring in.

I should say that we found some ok places, but in the end, we were glad to get the train up to Oporto, which then, as now, was a great place.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    With that kind of attitude I'm not in the least surprised there were people making that gesture towards you.
    Ar€eholes tend to stand out irrespective of the location.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    For me last night ( as discussed on a previous thread) was just yet another example of a team raising their game against Rovers , and then subsequently reverting to type.

The Dundalk commentators even mentioned how this was the best they’ve played all year …. Must be strange to follow a team that operates with such an inferiority mindset then again that’s the joy of being a Rovers fan we never feel that way…. So for Dundalk it’s understandable as they are the poster boy for such behaviour literally ( we won it in Talaght) ?

Next up Drogheda who are undefeated against us in last five

We certainly didnt raise for the last visit of Rovers, 0-4 ! Besides its only to be accepted sides raising their games (in most cases) v the league leaders and champions, a lot of clubs did to Dundalk from 2015-2019 (CorK City also had it in 2017).

That said I would still agree it was the best performance of the season, all of our players played for each other, Daniel Kelly was one, often singled out by the ever critical main stand, he had a great game, gave it 100%, Malley possibly another, not sure we saw him perform so consistently against a top 3 club yet this season, Pats maybe on Monday but he was superb in middle of MF.

Finally, to quote the great John Murphy on Dundalk FM, co-com asked him once why he has so much to say against Rovers 'I just don't like them, never had'
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    hoare has never ever been a euro level player, even with dundalk. hes been getting exposed for years in the quals. rovers badly need a bit of fresh blood in over the window. still think they are a bit one paced in midfield even with farruiga. defence isnt the quickest either, pico is a good defender but hes not quick. should look into a new cb in the window if they want to make a run at ECL groups again
    As a mate said to me last night at the game 'There is always a mistake in Hoare and sometimes a big one' (he almost scored a classic OG first half with mix up on GK).
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

Defund the NGOs.
    I heard they decriminalised drugs some years back all right.
    Maybe that’s why I was constantly being offered drugs whenever I walked alone in the city centre. It was ridiculous how often it happened.
    It’s not perfect tho. I happened to meet a young couple there who said it’s impossible for locals to survive in Lisbon because local wages are so low and foreigners are driving prices up. The poor creatures were thinking of moving to Dublin, god love them. I set them straight tho and advised a properly run city like Vienna, Oslo, Brussels.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    UCD collapsed in the second half last night, but truthfully they were dire in the first too. Keaney interrupting any run of passes they got going to, and taking over any frees they won, only to hoof balls up to young lads that they couldn't hope to win. Not sure what they've done to Michael Gallagher but he looked lost in central midfield. He's in a different place every time I see them. I'd love an update from The Bowler.
    The performance sums up the mood in Belfield. Disinterested players, but also sub standard group, playing for a manager that isn't liked at any level. UCD 19s have been poor now for years, so complete reliance on what they get coming to the college each September. UCD have been a long ball team for 3 years now, make no effort to play, it's just lump it long and hope for the best. Todd single handedly kept us up last year, along with an awful Harps team, and a Waterford team that of course imploded in the play off final. Keaney is about as bad a footballer I've seen wear the armband at UCD, slow, awful touch, immobile and can't defend - he has the lot ? Gallagher is a full back, being asked to do a job elsewhere because of injuries, but he's always had a hit and miss relationship with Myler anyway. Some new players due in, rumours I heard were Clancy from Sligo, Brennan back from Drogs having not kicked a ball and fallen out with the manager, Verdon back from Longford, and a couple more names i didnt immediately recognise. Myler will be gone end of season I expect, and if his sidekick O'Connor takes over, God help us all. His arrival and Ian Ryan's departure saw the end of cultured football at the Bowl. Hopefully we get back to playing football again, will be a few years before we trouble the 1st Division promotion race I expect, but as always, we will accidentally land on a bunch of talent at some stage, and the cycle will repeat.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Good point for Treaty at the MF as Bray dominated most of the game especially second half, both goals from terrible errors though Currans finish to level it was class and very similar to his goal in Athlone.Very poor conditions didnt help the quality of the game which at times was....muck,small crowd about 300 id say and given what has been served up recently you can see why.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    That's the thing though it's not meant to be even, when you compare the squads Rovers are meant to be fair stronger and superior to Dundalk. Yes Rovers are missing key players but so are Dundalk that's why we are so pleased with the result and performance. We shouldn't be competing with Rovers and winning but we did.
    You're a fully professional club competing in the same league with league winners and probably the leagues best striker in your team. You should absolutely be competitive at home on that pitch. But yeah I get why you'd be pleased given how the previous encounters went. Certainly the best you've played against us and you deserved the win for taking your chances.

We are completely switched off right now. Expecting to lose to Drogs again as well to be honest. Europe is going to be rough unless we figure out how to play with zero pace at wingback.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    The performance sums up the mood in Belfield. Disinterested players, but also sub standard group, playing for a manager that isn't liked at any level. UCD 19s have been poor now for years, so complete reliance on what they get coming to the college each September. UCD have been a long ball team for 3 years now, make no effort to play, it's just lump it long and hope for the best. Todd single handedly kept us up last year, along with an awful Harps team, and a Waterford team that of course imploded in the play off final. Keaney is about as bad a footballer I've seen wear the armband at UCD, slow, awful touch, immobile and can't defend - he has the lot ? Gallagher is a full back, being asked to do a job elsewhere because of injuries, but he's always had a hit and miss relationship with Myler anyway. Some new players due in, rumours I heard were Clancy from Sligo, Brennan back from Drogs having not kicked a ball and fallen out with the manager, Verdon back from Longford, and a couple more names i didnt immediately recognise. Myler will be gone end of season I expect, and if his sidekick O'Connor takes over, God help us all. His arrival and Ian Ryan's departure saw the end of cultured football at the Bowl. Hopefully we get back to playing football again, will be a few years before we trouble the 1st Division promotion race I expect, but as always, we will accidentally land on a bunch of talent at some stage, and the cycle will repeat.
    One thing that stood out for me about UCD last night is that there was no player playing that I was thinking that I'd want at Pats next season. Normally there would be a few players where you could see the potential to play at one of the top of the table clubs. There wasn't anything like that last night.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast