Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games weekend 30th June to 1st July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Missing: Mannus, Clarke, Finn,Byrne, Farugia, O’Neill & Grace - so effectively a reserve side this evening - so no surprise at result but pathetic defending by Lopes and Cleary for second goal
    Benson, Boyle, Mountney, Elliot all injured and a couple of our starters carrying injuries too.

Tulloch and Williams gone back from loan spells.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Rovers bullied at Oriel tonight. Without Jack Byrne, they are very average. Every team is missing players and the Rovers 11 is still as experienced as it gets in this league, (apart from maybe Pohls). Rovers have spent a lot of money on those players tonight over the last few windows, yet they look pretty dross. Best players were Gaffney amd Towell, two lads coming into the their mid 30s.

One of those games for Dundalk were you question were was that performance for the past couple of months. Hoban bossed the Rover three center halfs, and really pressed well as a team.

Guess there is a title race now with Pats and Rovers, only 4 points, but I wonder how much the gap has closed since Daly took over.

Terrible weekend for Bohs and Derry. Both are falling off their respective season aims at the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Dundalk fans are getting a bit carried away but they won so I don't blame them.

Realistically both teams were pretty bad. Rovers had more of the ball, more shots, more passes etc but Dundalk were clinical with their 2 on target and we decided to be offside all night. Felt like it was either gonna be 0-0 or 1-0 via a scrappy goal for either team but I was never feeling like we were under much pressure despite playing poorly. It was an awful game of football either side could have handed the other.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Missed the game as I'm in Lisbon eating great food which is really cheap and dancing in the streets to pimba music whilst drinking dirt cheap cocktails.
    Checked my phone to see the Rovers score and people around me wondering why I'm ****ing myself laughing at the media reports on dundalk putting a dent in Rovers chances of winning the league... ????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I think the job Daly is doing deserves great credit because despite being assistant previously he is night and day from Clancy...but that was extremely rough from UCD tonight. Feel like on a normal day a team keeps it respectable against them but we had young lads wanting to fill their boots out there and that made things even more ugly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

Realistically both teams were pretty bad. Rovers had more of the ball, more shots, more passes etc but Dundalk were clinical with their 2 on target and we decided to be offside all night. Felt like it was either gonna be 0-0 or 1-0 via a scrappy goal for either team but I was never feeling like we were under much pressure despite playing poorly. It was an awful game of football either side could have handed the other.
    Dundalk were happy to sit deep and try quick transitions when winning the ball back. Felt there was only going to be one winner in the game. First time I seen a flat 5 formation in a game with competitve teams, but it worked well. O'Donnell is anything but wielded to his formations.

Rovers took a lot of pot-shots from way out that weren't going to trouble anyone. I think the post above shows how stats can hide a story of a game. Rovers can move the ball quickly in midfield though, but yeah it lack of discipline with offsides hurt them. Yous were marked better when Gaffney came on. But it is surprising how quickly Rovers ran out of ideas in the game, hence the long range shots. Cleary and Hoare were terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Missed the game as I'm in Lisbon eating great food which is really cheap and dancing in the streets to pimba music whilst drinking dirt cheap cocktails.
    Checked my phone to see the Rovers score and people around me wondering why I'm ****ing myself laughing at the media reports on dundalk putting a dent in Rovers chances of winning the league... ????
    That's lovely, hopefully you've convinced yourself that you're not fuming with the result.

I'll agree with you though it's still Rovers league as there is nothing to challenge them, league is dross (worst standard in years?).

Mistake from Bradley to bench Gaffney.

Rovers better hope they get their main man back before Europe. A shock on the cards in the land of ice and fire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Wasn't expecting that tonight from Dundalk ! Yes up against a depleted Rovers side but we lost Boyle before KO, and Benson, Mountney, Elliott all injured and Aflie Lewis only back on the bench so it was hard earned.

Well deserved too I think, that's 13 points from the last 15 on offer, some run when that includes Pats and Rovers.

Should be good prep for Dundalk going into europe after the Bohs game next week.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Dundalk were happy to sit deep and try quick transitions when winning the ball back. Felt there was only going to be one winner in the game. First time I seen a flat 5 formation in a game with competitve teams, but it worked well. O'Donnell is anything but wielded to his formations.

Rovers took a lot of pot-shots from way out that weren't going to trouble anyone. I think the post above shows how stats can hide a story of a game. Rovers can move the ball quickly in midfield though, but yeah it lack of discipline with offsides hurt them. Yous were marked better when Gaffney came on. But it is surprising how quickly Rovers ran out of ideas in the game, hence the long range shots. Cleary and Hoare were terrible.
    I think you're getting a bit blinded by the scoreline Kiki. Fair enough I suppose but it was far more even than that. Scores can hide the story of a game as well but I'd rather have them than the stats in my favour. We had the ball in the net in the first half but Gannon must have been worried about pigs head flying and decided to drift offside for it.

Definitely better when Gaffney came on all the same and I'd agree on Cleary if not Hoare. Worst I've seen Cleary play. He looked completely lost and his decision making was abysmal.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    On the bright side, its a lovely city PC, was there once for long w/e in 2017, one of my fav short break jobs.

Have a Super Bock on us !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    An enjoyable game of football to watch even if the result and performance were disappointing. Can’t have any arguments about the result. Only positive is that it increase the gap between Bohs and a European spot!

with a massive euro match coming up, really need Farrugia and O’Neill back . I don’t think anyone would have expected Rovers to win by the gap the Icelandics did. Far from an easy draw

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    On the bright side, its a lovely city PC, was there once for long w/e in 2017, one of my fav short break jobs.

Have a Super Bock on us !
    Nice one Oriel, yeah it's mad being in a city that has nightlife running all night, relatively free of drunken aggressive tw#ts, food and drink are dirt cheap, women are tanned and beautiful, and no blokes have ****ty 80's era taxi driver moustaches. It's like the complete polar opposite of dublin.
    The result tonight in OP is the result, I've had my heart broken enough times there in 40 years for it to be like water off a ducks back.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Baxia is a nice district, central, also you probably have been on it but the tourist yellow or red maybe tram is the business, jump on and off job. A Portuguese colleague at work at the time told us the hidden gems, all the best bars / bistros are off the main streets in the almost hidden side streets.

If interested get a taxi out to the now 'athletics' stadium where Celtic won the 1967 EC, I`m told the taxi drivers are well versed, I just said 'Celtic Euro' ..........yes jump in. Nice to see it all the same.

I also did the same in Melbourne in 99 on the then unused stadium where Ronnie Delaney won gold for Ireland in the Olympics.

Bizarre post really, but there you go !

Enjoy

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Clearly and Hoare were absolutely DIRE but what's new. It will be individual mistakes in the back 3 again that haunt Rovers in Europe. They are weak links no matter how much people continue to hype them up. Better opposition will expose them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts
    Nice one Oriel, yeah it's mad being in a city that has nightlife running all night, relatively free of drunken aggressive tw#ts, food and drink are dirt cheap, women are tanned and beautiful, and no blokes have ****ty 80's era taxi driver moustaches. It's like the complete polar opposite of dublin.
    The result tonight in OP is the result, I've had my heart broken enough times there in 40 years for it to be like water off a ducks back.
    Couldn't agree more. First time I ever got culture shock was wondering why nobody was fighting on a night out in Vienna.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    27 goals for Coughlan in the league so far so even better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    Supposedly it got moved to Friday cause Bohs are playing Shels in the LSC on Monday
    Think it was cause players on loan wouldn’t have been able to play on July 1st. And then they weren’t available.

Good win. Badly needed. Pats showing how bad last weekends result was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

I had to check them stats as thought there was no way that Rovers had more possesion. LiveScore and FlashScore both have Dundalk with more possesion so obviously a mistake with where Google is scraping that data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    For me last night ( as discussed on a previous thread) was just yet another example of a team raising their game against Rovers , and then subsequently reverting to type.

The Dundalk commentators even mentioned how this was the best they’ve played all year …. Must be strange to follow a team that operates with such an inferiority mindset then again that’s the joy of being a Rovers fan we never feel that way…. So for Dundalk it’s understandable as they are the poster boy for such behaviour literally ( we won it in Talaght) ?

Next up Drogheda who are undefeated against us in last five
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 01/07/2023 at 9:25 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    UCD collapsed in the second half last night, but truthfully they were dire in the first too. Keaney interrupting any run of passes they got going to, and taking over any frees they won, only to hoof balls up to young lads that they couldn't hope to win. Not sure what they've done to Michael Gallagher but he looked lost in central midfield. He's in a different place every time I see them. I'd love an update from The Bowler.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast