Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar - Monday, 19th June 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    He had a header from a central position about 30 minutes in which he glanced a bit wide from a McClean cross.
    It was a great chance and one he should have buried - no excuses. Same with Obafemi after 5/10 mins.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    It was a great chance and one he should have buried - no excuses. Same with Obafemi after 5/10 mins.
    Ferguson missed a sitter, Obafemi was great chance and McGrath should have scored in first 2 minutes... for all our talk about the wrong system ( and it was) we still should have been 3 nil up at ht.

In the Greece game we haven't talked much about the great chance we had in 2nd half when Doherty was in on the right and took a wild swipe instead of having bit of composure. Goals change our perceptions of games massively.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    We should have equalised straight after their second. Square ball but a miscommunication in the box. Molumby involved?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    was that Doherty's shot against Greece, Stutts? Awful awareness of who was in support (2 others in the box and ahead of their markers if i remember correctly) and poxy execution on the shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    In the Greece game we haven't talked much about the great chance we had in 2nd half when Doherty was in on the right and took a wild swipe instead of having bit of composure. Goals change our perceptions of games massively.
    You are right about how goals change perceptions and while we did have chances (Doherty x2) to equalize (they had chances enough to win comfortably of course only for Bazunu), I think this would have gone down in the same fashion as the Serbia home game where we drew a game we should have lost and, despite it being an impressive enough result on its own merits created some divergent opinions on here for months after. I know we probably agree on the following but the Greece performance was fairly brutal - especially when you factor in all the preparation time and how quickly the plan fell apart. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"...

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    You are right about how goals change perceptions and while we did have chances (Doherty x2) to equalize (they had chances enough to win comfortably of course only for Bazunu), I think this would have gone down in the same fashion as the Serbia home game where we drew a game we should have lost and, despite it being an impressive enough result on its own merits created some divergent opinions on here for months after. I know we probably agree on the following but the Greece performance was fairly brutal - especially when you factor in all the preparation time and how quickly the plan fell apart. "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"...
    Theres no doubt the Greece game was a terrible performance. I still do think there are mitigating circumstances in the sense that our Championship players hadnt played in 6 weeks. Yes they had the training camps that were like a mini preseason, but alot of the players were showing pics on social media from the beach a couple weeks before the game. You could see the sharpness wasnt there, basic passes werent finding a man etc. Thats not to absolve Kenny from any blame, but all our managers in our past have struggled in this window to get good performances.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    We actually got two of our best results and performances under Kenny in the same window last year. I'm not really sure this mitigation holds water. The problem wasn't down to players lacking sharpness, iy was a total lack of cohesion and a coherent plan or structure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    I think this "hadnt played in 6 weeks" thing is a bit of red herring though. Didnt the Greeks and most other leagues finish around that same time? I think the Championship ended May 8th for example (then playoffs) whereas a quick google tells me the Greek league ended on the 14th... most other leagues would have been in and around that time surely, such that it doesnt really matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Maybe you are right and Im being too lenient, but I seen players do things that if they were sharp they wouldnt usually. Cullen for example looked a different player!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Ferguson missed a sitter, Obafemi was great chance and McGrath should have scored in first 2 minutes... for all our talk about the wrong system ( and it was) we still should have been 3 nil up at ht.

This is true, and as poor as we were against Greece I always thought there was another equaliser there for us if we could manage to up our game. Once Greece got 2-1 in front they seemed happy with that and slackened off. Of course we couldn’t raise our game to take advantage. Our passing was particularly poor on the night.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Thread locked and archived
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567