Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar - Monday, 19th June 2023 - Euro 2024 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Job done. No more, no less. Had the chances to get two or three more. Will do nothing to settle the wider debate of course.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    What is Kenny doing hugging the bench after every goal. Jesus it's embarrassing.
    Actually - I’ll add to my response by saying, I find it far more offensive when he talks up average performances or wins against minnows as being great results (which I hope he doesn’t do here but I’m expecting he will).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Good to see Idah off the mark,a special moment for any player opposition and current form not withstanding.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Much much better second half. A slice of luck about the first, but once that went in we had a new sense of freedom to attack without any risk as we knew Gibraltar would never get back into it, and Gibraltar no longer had anything defend as they knew they'd never get back into it.

Good for Idah to get a goal, and in the end, it turned out to be one of those games where the heavy favourite (eventually) does the formalities and dispatches the minnow.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Yeah happy for Idah. Johnston made a huge difference. I thought he should have started but it worked. He just has more creative ability than anyone else. Doesn't always play the predictable pass and can beat a player. We don't have anyone else like that and that's what you need in games like tonight's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    good night for johnston + mcclean
    bad night for 3-5-2 . its time to only use it against the top seeds stephen.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    still playing in France. 106th min.

edit: just finished, 1-0.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    Was happy enough with that. Got the initial shape wrong, Johnston should have started, but at least we adjusted at half time.

Delighted for the 3 lads that scored. All important players for our future so thats a massive postitive.

Acceptable overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    The adjustments that Kenny made at h/t were perfect. Not just the formation switch and introduction of Johnston but there was a lot more play around the edge of the area, working it in tight spaces and then a shot, a pass thru the channel or finding the wing back out wide. It stretched them way more than the overworking from wing to wing that we saw in the first half. Parrott coming on early was more reinforcement of that and allowed us to work it even more in those tight spaces. Exactly what the doctor ordered but, as I said earlier, you’d have to wonder a bit why it wasn’t the plan from the first whistle.

Always a sense of relief when those minnow games are over. Ever since Liechtenstein away…

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    and in the end, it turned out to be one of those games where the heavy favourite (eventually) does the formalities and dispatches the minnow.
    Yeah - I kind of got the feeling in the first half we weren't playing all that badly - slow for sure, and not running at them at all. But we put some nice balls across the six yard box a couple of times and any of those go in it's a different game. Wasn't as annoyed at 0-0 at halftime as I could have been

Obvious question though is why Johnston didn't start. A number of us here commented on it here for example. Add that to Idah starting in Greece and there's a couple of worries about selection

Overall though, unspectacular stuff tonight but nothing to really beat Kenny with. And nothing to suggest September isn't going to be a slog.

Not the first time he's had a poor first game in a window and a half-decent second one. The same questions remain for me, but I think talk of a replacement being lined up will quieten down for now

Thought McClean maybe deserved MotM on merit, sheriff albeit it has been announced before his second assist

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    569 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Was happy enough with that. Got the initial shape wrong, Johnston should have started, but at least we adjusted at half time.

Delighted for the 3 lads that scored. All important players for our future so thats a massive postitive.

Acceptable overall.
    This pretty much.

Should really have scored 3 in the first half with Obafemi unable to react when a toe would have resulted in a goal, Ferguson somehow missing the header from the McClean cross and McGrath having two good chances, one of which should have been a goal.

Ferguson could have had another header in the second half, McClean too.

When you end up creating 8 should score chances - and score 3 - you can’t be too concerned

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Think if Kenny does stay (and I doubt it), he's to learn the same lesson as Mikel Arteta.. you can't play the same way, every game.

There was no need to play 3 CBs against Gibralter, so he shouldn't have done it

A bit of flexibility is needed

As for the wider group scenario.. as bad as we think Friday was.. if we were to play and beat Greece in our next game.. we'd be level with them on 6 points.. after the same set of fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Most disappointing thing for me this evening was the extremely poor send off given to Liam Brady…. 25 years of brilliant punditry and they barely mentioned it at the end…. Thank you Liam ; like Giles and Dunphy before you , you’ll be greatly missed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Actually - I’ll add to my response by saying, I find it far more offensive when he talks up average performances or wins against minnows as being great results (which I hope he doesn’t do here but I’m expecting he will).
    Like it or loathe it SK celebrates goals and results pretty much the smae irrespective of opposition of tournament. Can be a bit cringe, but then at the same time he would be super downbeat after losing a firendly to a Man City. It isnt an easy watch at tie especially when he lets the mtioal sde get the better of himself.

What do I thik now after a number of years backi his management to the hilt? Well who would take the job that would mae a signficant difference - open to suggestions! Who would be looking to a longer term develpment rather than short term gain that will, as it has already, result in protracted mediocrity. Could we afford to change the coaching setup and who could we afford to bring in - would a Baraclough get the juices flowing. My main issue with SK is his uber positiveness that gets him in to trouble - targeting a nations league - fail, targeting a win in Athen - fail. Maybe he should stick to 'project' and progression is a bonus. Give it a year of 2 and there is some proper quality coming through off the back of the Kenny led elite player development programme at underage. Someone will reap the benefit of this and if it isnt SK people will miss the larger impact imo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    The thing is a blind man could see Johnston was the perfect option for this game and we didn’t need 3 CB’s to start. It was poor management.

I was impressed with 42k tonight but it was dead most of the game. Hard to get up for it but a win is a win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Most disappointing thing for me this evening was the extremely poor send off given to Liam Brady…. 25 years of brilliant punditry and they barely mentioned it at the end…. Thank you Liam ; like Giles and Dunphy before you , you’ll be greatly missed
    There was a nice tribute and quite a bit of conversation about it at the start of the programme. You might have missed that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    parrott did well in his cameo. very disappointing window from cullen (mr reliable) smallbone and obafemi

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    There was a nice tribute and quite a bit of conversation about it at the start of the programme. You might have missed that?
    was there any montage? missed the start, would have assumed theyd have kept all that til the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    A fairly professional performance without being anything overly spectacular.

Final third was poor in the first half and probably Cullen's worst international window since stepping into the senior team.

Otherwise did what was required. Johnston was the difference and that's about it.

Happy for Idah to get his goal though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    was there any montage? missed the start, would have assumed theyd have kept all that til the end.
    I can confirm there was a montage. Bits of Liam with Bill, Eamon, Johnny and the rest of the lads.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast