Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: U21s draw 2-2 in Lurgan with NI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

U21s draw 2-2 in Lurgan with NI

Our U21 side drew 2-2 in Lurgan alst night with northern Ireland.

Don't be fooled by the result this was a poor game. We played for about 20 minutes in the 2nd half when 2-0 down.

NI took the elad midway through the first half from an own goal. A free kick on the right was headed into his own net by Sheehan. It was a pretty even albeit poor first half. Kevin Doyle had a goal disallowed (wrongly I thought) for offside right on half time. Our defence did not inspire confidence and resembled the shambles in Berne and Herzliya.

Sean webb made it 2-0 5 minutes after the break when he steered home a corner from inside the box. Nice finish but nobody within 5 yards to make a challenge from a corner.

At that stage it looked really bleak but we suddenly woke up. Kevin Doyle missed a succession of gilt edged chances before Jay Tabb (our best player by a country mile) was brought down in the box. Kevin Doyle's weak penalty was saved but he followed up to score the rebound.

We were now rampant and 8 minutes later Tabb was upended again in the box and Doyle grabbed the ball again for the penalty and despite efforts from Syephen Kelly he did get to take it and score.

There were 15 minutes left at that stage and we should have gone on to win really but failed to press home the advantage. In fairness though a draw was the most we deserved on the night. Wayne Henderson made a great save at the death to ensure the draw.

The crowd was approx 1,000. The travelling support appeared to be 2 if you don't count Milo, Eddie Murray and Eamonn Collins etc. The home support was very vocal and "One Team in Ireland" was a particular favourite along with "Wee Pat McCourt is the new Pele"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Here's my view for what it's worth.

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstor...&viewstory=yes

Thanks for the lift Gary.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cheers for the report lads. How did Stephen Kelly play. The 2 Scottish lads in my house said that their trip to Belfast last year for an U21 game was one of the best trips he has been on and this is from a guy who has not missed an away game in about 8 years. He said the banter between the 2 sets of supporters was great.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Cheers for the report lads. How did Stephen Kelly play. The 2 Scottish lads in my house said that their trip to Belfast last year for an U21 game was one of the best trips he has been on and this is from a guy who has not missed an away game in about 8 years. He said the banter between the 2 sets of supporters was great.
    Kelly had a very quiet game. He didn't look comfortable in the central defence position.

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Givens is a diaster.. very poor last night

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Thanks for the info soccerc & gspain.

Will Tabb be good enough to progress? He looks skilful & lively but a bit on the small side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Thanks for the info soccerc & gspain.

Will Tabb be good enough to progress? He looks skilful & lively but a bit on the small side.
    Tabb is a skilful player and as you rightly said on the small side. However, that didn't stop us pumping high crosses into the box at him. He has a good spring and on a few occasions last night outjumped McChrystal and Webb.

He is good enough but probably needs a bulk up a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I've always liked Tabb - seen him a few times now and his height shouldn't be a problem. he is the type of player who should improve at a higher level too than Brentford. He is good on the ball, has quick feet and can pass.

The tactic of playing long balls to his head was not one of Givens better ones though.

Kelly is not a centre half and frankly did not have a good game although the whole defence looked a mess.

Murphy also did well up front. He held the ball up well, won most of the 50-50 challenges although his finishing was weak and his distribution could have been better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    As I said on another thread re Murphy and Doyle.

Most of us here would be familiar with their play and you could see that even in the short time both have been in England that coaching appears to have overtaken their natural ability.

For example, Murphy was excellent at winning and holding the ball up but unlike when he was at Waterford didn't seem capable of attacking or getting goalside of defenders. He had a few chances but very tame efforts, almost back passes.

Doyle rarely came wide for the ball and his disallowed "offside" effort should have stood as the ball was crossed back into the six yard box from the endline.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc
    Doyle rarely came wide for the ball and his disallowed "offside" effort should have stood as the ball was crossed back into the six yard box from the endline.
    Dare i compare him to Henry but Doyles strength is making spsce & running at defenders. If he is losing that he will be poor form. Somehow i think thats Given as i haven't heard anything about that from reading reports.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc
    even in the short time both have been in England that coaching appears to have overtaken their natural ability.
    I'm not sure who was co-commentating with Alan Greene on Sunday during the Wigan vs Chelsea game on 5 Live, but he said that both Duff & Robben had progressively lost their flair under Mourinho. Each is afraid to lose the ball & keeps giving short, conservative passes whereas 12 months ago they ran fearlessly at opponents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    "Wee Pat McCourt is the new Pele"
    I assume that's the Derry one? I thought he was older than that. How did he play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    I assume that's the Derry one? I thought he was older than that. How did he play?
    Yes same guy.

Mixed bag really, got on the ball a lot beat people at will but sometimes took too much out of it. On 2 occasions beat 4 players in a confined space only to pass the ball straight to an RoI player. He did have a hand in the first goal with a great delivery from a freekick. He did have the home fans in raptures but would frustrate the hell out of me as the end product does not match the undoubted talent on display. Still a real threat and one of those players worth going to see on his own.