Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Games weekend 9th June

  1. #1
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    195
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    878
    Thanked in
    659 Posts

    Games weekend 9th June

    Friday 9th (19:45 unless stated)

    Premier Division

    Drogheda v St Pats
    Shelbourne v Sligo
    Cork V Dundalk
    Derry v Bohemians
    Shamrock Rovers v UCD (20:00)

    First Division

    Kerry v Athlone
    Treaty v Cobh
    Waterford v Bray
    Wexford v Galway
    Longford v Finn Harps

  2. #2
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    195
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    878
    Thanked in
    659 Posts
    After our slip ups against Drogheda and Cork (both playing with 12 men) wins over Dundalk and Sligo mean with a win against UCD (not taking anything foe granted) will leave us in decent but not great shape heading into the break...still think we need to be at least 8 or 9 ahead by the time Europe starts...as providing we win the first round we face 8 midweek games pretty much in a row.....even if we lose first round its minimum 4 weeks.

    Derry and Bohs draw combined with Drogs taking something off PAts would be ideal.
    I cant help but feel a loss for Derry which could see them 4th at the break might be a problem for Higgins...we will see i guess, youd have to hope for a reaction from Derry to the surrender in Inchicore if you are a Derry fan.
    If Shels beat Sligo which on current form they will they will be right in the mix for Europe, credit to Duffer no one had them there.
    Big game for Dundalk in Cork as being in 6th at the break with Shels ahead of them was not in the script and SOD despite hos legendary status in Dundalk is being questioned for the first time,,,no imediate danger there though.

    First Division...What can you say...First place Galway have almost double the points of 3rd place Athlone (23 pts ahead) while 9th place Harps are only 8 points behind Athlone....To say the top two are in a different league is an understatement ....
    Assuming Galway win the league , Can Waterford **** it up from here ?

  3. #3
    First Team JC_GUFC's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Magic City
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    104
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    172
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    First Division...What can you say...First place Galway have almost double the points of 3rd place Athlone (23 pts ahead) while 9th place Harps are only 8 points behind Athlone....To say the top two are in a different league is an understatement ....
    Assuming Galway win the league , Can Waterford **** it up from here ?
    There's nothing for Waterford to **** up though. 2nd to 5th are the playoff spots.

    This is the first game of the third series of games in Division 1. Galway United took a full 27 from the opening 9 games and dipped to 22 for the next 9. Surprisingly when I looked at it earlier Waterford actually took 1 more point from the first series compared to the second series (20 v 19).

    The Waterford v Galway meeting is actually the last game of the third series and looking on paper the way we've been playing at the moment and probably the way everyone else has been playing too, it's hard to see us dropping too many points before that Waterford game comes around.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

  4. #4
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    195
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    878
    Thanked in
    659 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    There's nothing for Waterford to **** up though. 2nd to 5th are the playoff spots.

    This is the first game of the third series of games in Division 1. Galway United took a full 27 from the opening 9 games and dipped to 22 for the next 9. Surprisingly when I looked at it earlier Waterford actually took 1 more point from the first series compared to the second series (20 v 19).

    The Waterford v Galway meeting is actually the last game of the third series and looking on paper the way we've been playing at the moment and probably the way everyone else has been playing too, it's hard to see us dropping too many points before that Waterford game comes around.
    I meant can they manage to lose to another first division club in the play offs......considering the gap....
    They could still lose the play off against whoever finishes second bottom and have to spend anothe year in the first division with a full time squad and budget. Long wont have given up on realing Galway in and given the uncertainties of the otehr route to promotion they may even add to the squad in July.
    Beat Galway twice and the gap is only 4 points......

  5. #5
    First Team JC_GUFC's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Magic City
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    104
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    172
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I meant can they manage to lose to another first division club in the play offs......considering the gap....
    They could still lose the play off against whoever finishes second bottom and have to spend anothe year in the first division with a full time squad and budget. Long wont have given up on realing Galway in and given the uncertainties of the otehr route to promotion they may even add to the squad in July.
    Beat Galway twice and the gap is only 4 points......
    Yeah - dropping points in Bray wasn't the end of the world by any means for us, though it was the first weekend of the whole season we lost ground on Waterford (when we lost in Longford, they'd lost at home to Wexford earlier that day).

    In some ways Friday is a big game, it's a long trip, we won't have many fans and Wexford have had a bit of form of late but we really should be beating them.

    If we win that we return after the break with home games against Longford and Kerry where 6 points would be expected, so then Waterford just have to keep matching our results. Both sides have scored 51 goals this season - our top scorer has 10 goals - Ronan Coughlan has scored 23! They drew a blank in Longford when he was suspended a few weeks ago - what if he leaves in the transfer window?

    I wouldn't be confident on Waterford winning the playoff at the moment. I think they're not as good as last season yet and whoever the 9th club in the Premier Division will end up being they'll be a better side than UCD were either of the last 2 years.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

  6. #6
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    9,446
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,680
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    633
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Yeah - dropping points in Bray wasn't the end of the world by any means for us, though it was the first weekend of the whole season we lost ground on Waterford (when we lost in Longford, they'd lost at home to Wexford earlier that day).

    In some ways Friday is a big game, it's a long trip, we won't have many fans and Wexford have had a bit of form of late but we really should be beating them.

    If we win that we return after the break with home games against Longford and Kerry where 6 points would be expected, so then Waterford just have to keep matching our results. Both sides have scored 51 goals this season - our top scorer has 10 goals - Ronan Coughlan has scored 23! They drew a blank in Longford when he was suspended a few weeks ago - what if he leaves in the transfer window?

    I wouldn't be confident on Waterford winning the playoff at the moment. I think they're not as good as last season yet and whoever the 9th club in the Premier Division will end up being they'll be a better side than UCD were either of the last 2 years.
    Only thing is though Ronan Coughlan is on fire for Waterford at the moment! Is that his first season at Waterford or not?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

  7. #7
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,768
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    372
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    264
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Only thing is though Ronan Coughlan is on fire for Waterford at the moment! Is that his first season at Waterford or not?
    Yes it’s his first season at Waterford. On the topic of Coughlan he’s now just 3 goals away from equalling his entire pre Waterford career leagues goals tally.

    He scored 26 league goals in 108 appearances over 5 seasons with Bray, Cork, Sligo and Pats in the premier division before dropping to the first division this year where he’s now on 23 goals in 16 apps
    Paaatrick's Agletic

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #8
    International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longford, Ireland
    Posts
    5,672
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,692
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    964
    Thanked in
    826 Posts
    We just need the break, unprecedented injury crisis not to mention a few stupid suspensions on top. Avoid defeat against Harps, get bodies back and a few quality signings in and we'll give it a good rattle second half of the season. If either team lose on Friday I sense the negativity will be absolutely crippling and could be hard to come back from.

  10. #9
    Seasoned Pro joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    3,886
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    299
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    483
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Yes it’s his first season at Waterford. On the topic of Coughlan he’s now just 3 goals away from equalling his entire pre Waterford career leagues goals tally.

    He scored 26 league goals in 108 appearances over 5 seasons with Bray, Cork, Sligo and Pats in the premier division before dropping to the first division this year where he’s now on 23 goals in 16 apps
    No better indicator of how brutal the league is,Coughlan is a bang average striker and he’s been made look like Harry Kane in this league!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #10
    Reserves thebronze14's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    105
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    48
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Yes it’s his first season at Waterford. On the topic of Coughlan he’s now just 3 goals away from equalling his entire pre Waterford career leagues goals tally.

    He scored 26 league goals in 108 appearances over 5 seasons with Bray, Cork, Sligo and Pats in the premier division before dropping to the first division this year where he’s now on 23 goals in 16 apps
    The Marco Negri Of LOI Division 1!

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #11
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    6,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    195
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    878
    Thanked in
    659 Posts
    I always thought he was a poor finisher hence his bang average hall of goals pre this season. Has his finishing improved ir is he just getting way more chances..?

  15. #12
    First Team JC_GUFC's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Magic City
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    104
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    172
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I always thought he was a poor finisher hence his bang average hall of goals pre this season. Has his finishing improved ir is he just getting way more chances..?
    Yeah I'd agree - I'd have always thought he was very good at hold up play and a clever player in terms of building attacks but just terrible in front of goal. This season definitely a bit of both. There has been some calamitous defending for his goals but maybe as a consequence of scoring some "bad" goals he's gained confidence. Certainly his finish in Galway in the recent defeat was a nice instinctive finish. I did read an interview with him recently where he'd got some sort of mental coaching on it - maybe it's that - maybe it's confidence but 23 goals in 16 games is off the charts!

    I'll be very interested to see if anyone comes in for him - even Fleetwood!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

  16. #13
    First Team Jack B's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,012
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    164
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I always thought he was a poor finisher hence his bang average hall of goals pre this season. Has his finishing improved ir is he just getting way more chances..?
    Can only really speak for his time at Pats but for me he's a good finisher that just doesn't get into position enough. Can't think of a huge amount of chances he missed for us really and he scored some lovely goals, just not a huge amount of them. He'd probably be more use in the PD as a kind of second striker where he can drop in and link things up as he's a good footballer, but equally not really athletic enough or good at dribbling to play as an attacking midfielder.

  17. #14
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,129
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    298
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    240
    Thanked in
    147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    No better indicator of how brutal the league is,Coughlan is a bang average striker and he’s been made look like Harry Kane in this league!
    I didn't think the standard of the First Division could have got any worse than the 2015-2017 era but it sounds like 2023 is a very special season I might even be able bang in a dozen goals
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

  18. #15
    Seasoned Pro Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,815
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    678
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    665
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Can only really speak for his time at Pats but for me he's a good finisher that just doesn't get into position enough. Can't think of a huge amount of chances he missed for us really and he scored some lovely goals, just not a huge amount of them. He'd probably be more use in the PD as a kind of second striker where he can drop in and link things up as he's a good footballer, but equally not really athletic enough or good at dribbling to play as an attacking midfielder.
    Worked very hard for us but was awful at finishing apart from penalties

  19. #16
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Meath man in Dublin
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    185
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    259
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    RTE really know how to pick the games lately. The live match in Derry has been v poor quality so far - littered with mistakes. Pitch probably doesn’t help mind.

  20. #17
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    206
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    RTE really know how to pick the games lately. The live match in Derry has been v poor quality so far - littered with mistakes. Pitch probably doesn’t help mind.
    Our match v Cork was also a poor show, madness of the last 10 minutes excepted. (not that I enjoyed that obviously).
    Not showing anything like the same form as earlier in the season.

  21. #18
    First Team Candystripe's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    49
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    62
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    RTE really know how to pick the games lately. The live match in Derry has been v poor quality so far - littered with mistakes. Pitch probably doesn’t help mind.
    I'm here and both teams are playing absolute p1ss.

  22. #19
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Meath man in Dublin
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    185
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    259
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    I'm here and both teams are playing absolute p1ss.
    It’s awful stuff.

  23. #20
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Meath man in Dublin
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    185
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    259
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Devine really isnt helping the situation by playing McDonnell as no10. He’s not comfortable there at all.
    I get that Devine wants to pack the middle with grafters and stop Derry playing but I think he’d be better off playing Coote or Clarke there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Games weekend 2nd / 5th June
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 07/06/2023, 5:10 AM
  2. Games weekend 17th/18th June
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 24/06/2022, 10:35 AM
  3. Games weekend Friday 10th June
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12/06/2022, 11:21 AM
  4. Games weekend 18th/21st June
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 03/07/2021, 10:06 PM
  5. Games Weekend June 11th/12th
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 14/06/2021, 12:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •