Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Israel beat Ukraine on Penalties

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

Israel beat Ukraine on Penalties

From The Guardian. I've no idea what this tournament is all about but it looks like the Israelis have got another meritable draw with a good side.

Poland and Israel to meet in final of Ukraine tournament
    KIEV, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Poland and Israel have reached the final of the four-team Valery Lobanovsky tournament after Poland beat Serbia 3-2 on Monday and Israel beat hosts Ukraine on penalties after a 0-0 draw.
    The two winners will meet in the final on Wednesday evening.
    Thomas Frankowski scored twice to help the Poles overcome a determined Serbian side.
    Ukraine, its attacks repeatedly thwarted by a solid Israeli defence, lost out on penalties when Andrei Gusin missed the only spotkick in the shootout after the teams battled to a goalless draw.
    "We are of course disappointed to lose a match in which we held the advantage," Ukraine coach Oleg Blokhin said afterwards.
    Ukraine were without European Footballer of the Year Andrei Shevchenko and Andrei Voronin, but Blokhin kept the result in perspective.
    "On the whole though, I'm happy with the performance of my players. Penalties amount to a lottery. The main thing is to prepare as best we can for our qualifiers."
    The competition is staged in memory of the Ukrainian coach Valery Lobanovsky who died in 2002 aged 63 and is being used by the four competitors as part of their preparations for next month's World Cup qualifiers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When I watch them beat a team over 90 minutes without any lucky sendings off, last minute goals or brutal refereeing, then I'll respect them. Until then, their last game against us is just too raw a memory. I won't forget that peformance for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I saw the Poland v Serbia game. Thoroughly entertaining. It seems a very unserious competition. Lots of experimenting and not a huge amount of effort being put in. I wouldn't take the result too seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    that shouldnt detract from 2 very poor performances against Israel. 6 points in the bag and yes, we blew it.