Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Games weekend 26th 27th May

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob
    “Convicted of a crime I didn’t even commit. Hah! Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Only one way to solve this one now. We all go for a pint at the end of the season, get the debate going until tempers rise a bit. Then I'll wrestle ten of you and reef you down on to your arses. If even one of you can keep your leg frozen after impact I'll concede that Richie Towell was attempting to kick the lad in the face and is just so bad at kicking that he couldn't connect. Pints on me if so.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The evidence is that the linesman/referee - the officials whose job it is to see these things - saw Towell kick out at an opponent on the ground.

There's no conclusive evidence that he didn't. Indeed, a number of (non-Rovers) fans have said that's exactly what it looks like from the footage shown here.

So why would an appeal succeed?
    As there is no conclusive evidence from either video reviewed; Towell’s guilt is based solely on the opinion of the linesman , which at best is just an opinion but not proven fact.

So if you can’t prove the incident occurred despite having video evidence then natural justice means you have to allow the appeal .

What’s become very clear from this is that the clubs have agreed to an appeal process that is a farce and biased and doesn’t lend itself to the application of due process underpinned by a set of fair procedures….. a first year law student will tell you that if challenged in court it would most likely be thrown out….. with costs awarded to the party taking the case….. I’m disappointed there’s no sign of Rovers/a number of clubs doing that, hopefully behind the scenes they’ll threaten that to use as leverage to have a fair process put in place.

Otherwise refs and assistants know they are immune from any correction so will continue to operate at their current mediocre arrogant level to the detriment of all clubs.
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 30/05/2023 at 8:36 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Crazy that he was kept on the pitch that day with his history of acl issues.
    Has that bit every been explained by Derry? It seemed awful at the time. Lad was in tears.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    As there is no conclusive evidence from either video reviewed; Towell’s guilt is based solely on the opinion of the linesman , which at best is just an opinion but not proven fact.

So if you can’t prove the incident occurred despite having video evidence then natural justice means you have to allow the appeal.
    But lots of us have said Towell does appear to kick out in the video.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts

So if you can’t prove the incident occurred despite having video evidence then natural justice means you have to allow the appeal .

What’s become very clear from this is that the clubs have agreed to an appeal process that is a farce and biased and doesn’t lend itself to the application of due process underpinned by a set of fair procedures….. a first year law student will tell you that if challenged in court it would most likely be thrown out….. with costs awarded to the party taking the case….. I’m disappointed there’s no sign of Rovers/a number of clubs doing that, hopefully behind the scenes they’ll threaten that to use as leverage to have a fair process put in place.

Otherwise refs and assistants know they are immune from any correction so will continue to operate at their current mediocre arrogant level to the detriment of all clubs.
    But ... what did we do for the 125 years or so before we had video evidence?

Now, I'm no expert, so this is a layman's question and not a smart-ar5e dig (you're not usually the type to deserve that CJ, though I do think you're a bit het-up about this) - but would the same first year law student also tell you that you don't challenge this kind of thing in the courts? You sign up to the same rules and processes that every other club has has signed up to, and you can appeal, or try to, all the way to CAS?
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Has that bit every been explained by Derry? It seemed awful at the time. Lad was in tears.
    I haven’t heard any explanation.
    That article in the Derry Journal does have one very notable paragraph…
    “The Derry City medical team have been extremely cautious in terms of Whelan's rehabilitation since arriving at the club and gently introduced him into full training having undergone and passed all the necessary tests in recent months.”
    I wouldn’t have any doubt that the medical team did everything right. Medics are generally like that - they do whatever they can to protect the player.
    But Higgins made the call to keep him on the pitch that time, which was foolish in the extreme. The lad could easily have done further serious damage playing on in that state.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    But ... what did we do for the 125 years or so before we had video evidence?

Now, I'm no expert, so this is a layman's question and not a smart-ar5e dig (you're not usually the type to deserve that CJ, though I do think you're a bit het-up about this) - but would the same first year law student also tell you that you don't challenge this kind of thing in the courts? You sign up to the same rules and processes that every other club has has signed up to, and you can appeal, or try to, all the way to CAS?
    The reason I keep referring to a court challenge is partly to demonstrate that the appeals process is flawed and therefore wouldn’t stand up up to scrutiny in a court… Legal advice would be that you’d win…. Business advice most likely is that it would be a pyrrhic victory , so you wouldn’t take it on.

yes all the clubs signed up however what is now clear imo is (1) they signed up to a set of unfair procedures (2) unless changed all clubs going forward will suffer under this.

I’m not overly ‘het-up’ I’m just one of those people who does get agitated when I encounter flawed one sided unfair conditions ( even if the clubs signed up to them still doesn’t make them right) that allow one party to exercise coercive control over another whilst pretending that both sides are operating on level playing field ( bad pun intended). I guess growing up in this country in the 60s/70s I’ve (rightly) had little or no respect for most institutions .

Anyway roll on Friday and we’ll get the latest round in the referring debacle 2023 and hopefully some great games as well.

Ps what did we do for 125 years before video evidence…. The same as we did before dna, fingerprinting etc. not being smart in other words you can only use the tools available at any given time
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 30/05/2023 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Tom Grivosti suffered a ruptured anterior cruciate knee ligament for Pats on Friday,seemed to very short in that area now….
    Gutted for him, hasn't had any luck this season. Has been a quality player for us, massively underrated at that, but that'll probably be the last time he plays for us you'd imagine.

Leaves us extremely light at the back now. Grivosti, Redmond, Sjoberg, Brockback out injured with McGrath having just been announced as about to be released by Coventry so who knows if he stays on. Might be a ropey next few weeks for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Legal advice would be that you’d win….
    What legal advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    What legal advice?
    From my inner solicitor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well you know what they say about the person who represents himself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Well you know what they say about the person who represents himself
    And the shoemaker’s son didn’t always go barefoot ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Is it time to bring up the even worse calls to send off Kenny and Hoare or........?
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Tommy Barrett "One of our players is a postman and he did 18,000 steps before we played Galway. The Galway boys were up sunning themselves, relaxing."
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Gutted for him, hasn't had any luck this season. Has been a quality player for us, massively underrated at that, but that'll probably be the last time he plays for us you'd imagine.

Leaves us extremely light at the back now. Grivosti, Redmond, Sjoberg, Brockback out injured with McGrath having just been announced as about to be released by Coventry so who knows if he stays on. Might be a ropey next few weeks for us.
    Awful for Grivosti, especially after just coming back. Not sure why you reckon hel’ll be leaving, but I suppose you could be right. We are worryingly bare at the back now . If Sjoberg is out for any length of time it’s a full blown crisis. We might just get by with him at right back, Sam Curtis and McGrath in the centre and Breslin left back. Other than that we’ve only got Noah Lewis, who has looked shaky. I wonder will we bring in anyone else ?
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I wonder will we bring in anyone else ?
    Id say that’s an absolute certainty to be honest. I think we needed another defender in the door even before Grivosti's injury. With the money that's up for grabs in Europe in terms of getting through a round this summer as well as qualification for next season, we'd be kissing goodbye to chances of either without bringing in a centre back of starting 11 quality in the window.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Awful for Grivosti, especially after just coming back. Not sure why you reckon hel’ll be leaving, but I suppose you could be right. We are worryingly bare at the back now . If Sjoberg is out for any length of time it’s a full blown crisis. We might just get by with him at right back, Sam Curtis and McGrath in the centre and Breslin left back. Other than that we’ve only got Noah Lewis, who has looked shaky. I wonder will we bring in anyone else ?
    He's out of contract at the end of the season and has an injury that usually takes around 6-9 months to return from, can't see us giving him a new deal in the off season at that rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Not cruciate, it seems, but he's out for the season. Crap.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Not cruciate, it seems, but he's out for the season. Crap.
    Ah that's brutal. Speedy recovery to him.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678