142 Posts
    towell appeal rejected somehow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    towell appeal rejected somehow
    Would love to hear how they reached that decision….. if there wasn’t conclusive unambiguous evidence presented by the the league then Rovers should imo go full on ‘GAA’ and consider taking this to court - otherwise the appeal process will be seen as a waste of time , no one will use it and mediocre referring standards will be embedded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post

John Mahon’s second yellow tonight,any ideas how that decision was come upon??
    Maybe simulation for going down holding his face? Can't see what else it might be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Would love to hear how they reached that decision….. if there wasn’t conclusive unambiguous evidence presented by the the league then Rovers should imo go full on ‘GAA’ and consider taking this to court - otherwise the appeal process will be seen as a waste of time , no one will use it and mediocre referring standards will be embedded.
    Court?! Need to calm down a bit.

Towell kicked out, so it's violent conduct. I don't think contact or not makes a difference in the rules. Strange that it would even be appealed.

I'm sure we'll see a red be overturned at some point, but there hasn't been justification for one yet.

I do think the rules for violent conduct are harsh, but they're being correctly applied. Lopes earlier in the season against Sligo would be an example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Court?! Need to calm down a bit.

Towell kicked out, so it's violent conduct. I don't think contact or not makes a difference in the rules. Strange that it would even be appealed.

I'm sure we'll see a red be overturned at some point, but there hasn't been justification for one yet.

I do think the rules for violent conduct are harsh, but they're being correctly applied. Lopes earlier in the season against Sligo would be an example.
    I’m very calm…. That’s why I prefaced my comment as I did… so to repeat if the league proved Towell deserved the red then we move on…. If their evidence was in any way vague then we should ( for both ourselves first and to benefit all as well) consider taking it further.

The Rovers hierarchy aren’t stupid and took the decision based on clear video evidence so based on that unless something further was magically revealed then we shouldn’t/don’t accept this….. albeit they may feel they have to due to concerns about further pay back at a later date ( as in life more often than not the corrupt and the bullies win).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I’m very calm…. That’s why I prefaced my comment as I did… so to repeat if the league proved Towell deserved the red then we move on…. If their evidence was in any way vague then we should ( for both ourselves first and to benefit all as well) consider taking it further.

The Rovers hierarchy aren’t stupid and took the decision based on clear video evidence so based on that unless something further was magically revealed then we shouldn’t/don’t accept this….. albeit they may feel they have to due to concerns about further pay back at a later date ( as in life more often than not the corrupt and the bullies win).
    So first off I'd imagine the extra footage is inadmissible anyway - it's not official LoITV footage. Secondly it actually backs up the referee's decision (based on the assistant's recommendation) which would have been violent conduct. Towell's leg moves in the direction of the defender's head.

Now you can argue all you like that he's falling backwards and that was a natural movement and he didn't hit the Cork player etc. and that's fine and I'd agree with you but as per the laws of the game the decision at the time it is not blatantly incorrect.

Having seen the other appeals that have failed this season there's not a part of me that thinks Rovers thought they'd win this appeal. They've just done it to make a point of how unhappy they were with the ref.

What I would say is that I'm glad the FAI/League are sticking with the referees here. The GAA has become a total farce in how decisions are almost always overturned. This offers no respect to the referees in the GAA and the consequences of this can be seen at all levels of GAA. Football isn't great for respecting referees either but at least there has been a campaign around 'No ref, no game' and the league is sticking by its referees here, which is only right.

Fwiw I think all 3 reds of Friday looked incredibly harsh and I totally understand Rovers frustrations.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Towell has a reputation for leaving the boot in when the ball is gone and making it look accidental, these things eventually catch up with you. One of the worst cases of it is when he broke a young Jamie McGrath's nose 'accidentally' in a Dundalk Pats match years ago.

https://www.the42.ie/richie-towell-j...78112-Aug2015/
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    So first off I'd imagine the extra footage is inadmissible anyway - it's not official LoITV footage. Secondly it actually backs up the referee's decision (based on the assistant's recommendation) which would have been violent conduct. Towell's leg moves in the direction of the defender's head.

Now you can argue all you like that he's falling backwards and that was a natural movement and he didn't hit the Cork player etc. and that's fine and I'd agree with you but as per the laws of the game the decision at the time it is not blatantly incorrect.

Having seen the other appeals that have failed this season there's not a part of me that thinks Rovers thought they'd win this appeal. They've just done it to make a point of how unhappy they were with the ref.

What I would say is that I'm glad the FAI/League are sticking with the referees here. The GAA has become a total farce in how decisions are almost always overturned. This offers no respect to the referees in the GAA and the consequences of this can be seen at all levels of GAA. Football isn't great for respecting referees either but at least there has been a campaign around 'No ref, no game' and the league is sticking by its referees here, which is only right.

Fwiw I think all 3 reds of Friday looked incredibly harsh and I totally understand Rovers frustrations.
    I’d say there’s a lot of ‘truth’ in your take …… and of course I do get how sometimes an institution feels the need to protect the guilty for the ‘so called ‘ overall good….. however we’re only too familiar in this country with how such cover ups only lead to further misdeeds …. So the pity is that the FAI couldn’t try sticking with the truth and admit there was an error ( that’s not hanging the ref/Lino out to dry as it is simply admitting what all could see) as that will help act as a catalyst to improve standards instead of validating current crap ones.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Towell has a reputation for leaving the boot in when the ball is gone and making it look accidental, these things eventually catch up with you. One of the worst cases of it is when he broke a young Jamie McGrath's nose 'accidentally' in a Dundalk Pats match years ago.

https://www.the42.ie/richie-towell-j...78112-Aug2015/
    I don't think player reputation comes into it, the evidence would have been what the lino saw and then said to the ref. The long and the short of it is Rovers got a 2 match ban turned into a 3 match ban. Sometimes your are better taking one on the chin especially when, based on past evidence the chances of winning the appeal are very slim to no chance at all.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I don't think player reputation comes into it, the evidence would have been what the lino saw and then said to the ref. The long and the short of it is Rovers got a 2 match ban turned into a 3 match ban. Sometimes your are better taking one on the chin especially when, based on past evidence the chances of winning the appeal are very slim to no chance at all.
    I wasn’t trying to say that the reputation came into the decision making on Friday, more so that if you consistently kick out at opponents you will sooner or later get caught doing or trying to do it and be punished for it
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I’d say there’s a lot of ‘truth’ in your take …… and of course I do get how sometimes an institution feels the need to protect the guilty for the ‘so called ‘ overall good….. however we’re only too familiar in this country with how such cover ups only lead to further misdeeds …. So the pity is that the FAI couldn’t try sticking with the truth and admit there was an error ( that’s not hanging the ref/Lino out to dry as it is simply admitting what all could see) as that will help act as a catalyst to improve standards instead of validating current crap ones.
    But it's not really an error is it? That's kind of the point.

OK it may be harsh and possibly from his angle the assistant thought there was contact but are you going to open up another can of worms around the harshness of decisions?

Like would you say it's ok for someone to aim a kick at another player and as long as they don't connect it's not a sending off offence?
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    So that's 3 (that I remember anyway) red cards that have been appealed this season. None of which have been overturned.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Referees are a protected species. The LOI TV highlights didnt even show Diallo tackle on Mahon, so by extension didnt show Mahons first nonsense yellow. There is no accountability, there is a referee adjudicator at matches (who are ex refs Im told, which is a joke cause they are hardly gonna be as critical on each other). FAI must be just ignoring the reports done on refs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    But it's not really an error is it? That's kind of the point.

OK it may be harsh and possibly from his angle the assistant thought there was contact but are you going to open up another can of worms around the harshness of decisions?

Like would you say it's ok for someone to aim a kick at another player and as long as they don't connect it's not a sending off offence?
    Eh…. The point is there was an error made, ie the Lino thought there was contact..hence the appeal; but it seems the Appeals committee are either accepting the Lino’s word; ignoring the video footage from LOITV which is at best inconclusive and possibly excluding de facto video evidence provide by Rovers ( if they can do that then the whole process is an even bigger farce). Nothing to do with harshness of the decision it’s all to do with the error of the decision.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    But I think the onus is on Rovers to show that the decision was clearly wrong, and I don't think ye can. I agree with JC here - Towell's boot does move towards the Cork guy's head after they land, and that does look like a kick out. Or it could be a result of the fall. But I don't think the footage shown here conclusively shows the ref made a mistake, and that's the ask in the appeal I would have thought.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Eh…. The point is there was an error made, ie the Lino thought there was contact..hence the appeal; but it seems the Appeals committee are either accepting the Lino’s word; ignoring the video footage from LOITV which is at best inconclusive and possibly excluding de facto video evidence provide by Rovers ( if they can do that then the whole process is an even bigger farce). Nothing to do with harshness of the decision it’s all to do with the error of the decision.
    You’ve admitted yourself that the video evidence is inconclusive, so how could they use that as evidence to overturn the decision? The only way they could overturn it was if the video clearly proved towell didn’t kick the lad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    You’ve admitted yourself that the video evidence is inconclusive, so how could they use that as evidence to overturn the decision? The only way they could overturn it was if the video clearly proved towell didn’t kick the lad.
    No…. I said the LOITV footage is inconclusive , therefore the appeal committee couldn’t rely on it …. Surly natural justice means lack of conclusive evidence means you must allow the appeal …

. “….. if the kicks not clear then the red must disappear….” Apologies to Johnny Cochrane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    If Towell kicked out and whether or not he made contact with the player. He deserved red on the basis of intent.

There’s no argument about contact. A player of his age and experience he should know better. You don’t expect to see this from a kids never mind a seasoned professional. He’s got no excuse.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 29/05/2023 at 9:07 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    No…. I said the LOITV footage is inconclusive , therefore the appeal committee couldn’t rely on it …. Surly natural justice means lack of conclusive evidence means you must allow the appeal …

. “….. if the kicks not clear then the red must disappear….” Apologies to Johnny Cochrane
    I don't think this is how it works. Rather, for the appeal to be successful, it has to be proven that the on field decision was wrong. If the footage is inconclusive, you can't prove that the decision was wrong, and then it stands.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I wasn’t trying to say that the reputation came into the decision making on Friday, more so that if you consistently kick out at opponents you will sooner or later get caught doing or trying to do it and be punished for it
    Consistently? Ah come on. You just posted a video from 2015 to somehow backup the idea that Towell had any intent at all in 2023. Even Cawley's quotes around that incident are contradictory to your take e.g “It’s very unlike Richie Towell, I know.”

The commentary on here around this card is bizarre altogether. If we can't collectively condemn absolutely awful refereeing then we are on the fast boat to VAR (or VAR lite) town folks. Mark McCadden has even freeze framed this one for people. I know you all hate Rovers but get it together for jaysus sake. I've no problem saying Cleary took down Afolabi or Mahon shouldn't have been sent off and a few of you need to take off the blinkers and call a spade a spade. If Towell had any intent he would have done serious damage at that range. He doesn't connect. He doesn't come close. Are we going to card tackles that MIGHT have been late? The Cork player gets up delighted with himself when the red is shown which is all anyone really needs to know. It was a con job. It wasn't the worst decision on the night to be fair but the evidence is there to show it wasn't a red card. It was closer to a free out than a red but a caution for both players would have been the good refereeing decision.

On a less annoyed note, fair play to the Cork fans who arranged a charity drive to show what the football community is and should be about. Respect due. Every club has a few tossers and we all need to drown them out. Enough people look down on the league and are dying to give the bad apples the air time.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast