Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: So farewell then...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Absolute Genius, The 4 candles sketch in the 2 ronnies is a classis, sadly missed..

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    He was great in Porridge and Open All Hours. I preferred those to The Two Ronnies as I had to endure Ronnie Corbett sitting on a chair rambling on about things that weren't funny.

And it's good night from him.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Norman Stanley Fletcher rip
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    BBC tribute page for Ronnie.

http://pheeds.org/mwaghk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Unhappy Ronnie Barker dies

Comedian Ronnie Barker, the big half of famous duo The Two Ronnies and the indomitable Fletch in prison sitcom Porridge, has died aged 76.

A BBC spokeswoman said on Tuesday that the portly, bespectacled star died peacefully on Monday in the presence of his wife. He had been suffering heart trouble.

Tributes poured in for one of Britain's best-loved comics.

"Ronnie was pure gold in triplicate: as a performer, a writer and a friend," said the "other" Ronnie, Ronnie Corbett.

"We worked together since 1965 and we never had a cross word. It was 40 years of harmonious joy, nothing but an absolute pleasure. I will miss him terribly."

Michael Hurll, a producer on the Two Ronnies, said Barker's partnership with the diminutive Corbett ranked alongside that of Morecambe and Wise in importance.

"I don't think we will see their like again," he said. "Ronnie Barker meant to comedy in this country laughs, big laughs and laughs that you will always remember."

The BBC will air a special half-hour programme celebrating Barker's life on Tuesday evening.

Ronald William George Barker was born in Bedford in 1929. At one stage he considered becoming a bank manager, the kind of middle class, respectable profession he would later parody mercilessly in his sketches.

But he chose the theatre instead, appearing in plays and on the radio before breaking into television.

"IT'S GOODNIGHT FROM HIM"

In 1971, he teamed up with Corbett for the first Two Ronnies series, a show based on deft wordplay and comic timing that attracted up to 17 million viewers at its peak.

It ended with a gag that has become a national institution.

In a spoof of news readers, Corbett would bid the audience "goodnight from me", to which Barker, who towered above him, would add "and it's goodnight from him".

Barker's death dominated Tuesday's news bulletins in Britain, and broadcasters sifted through his gags to find the most memorable lines.

Among the contenders was the joke: "The toilets at a local police station have been stolen. Police say they have nothing to go on."

Barker received an OBE, awarded by the state for distinguished work, and won many accolades including most recently a special tribute from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts in 2004.

He once said in an interview: "I would like to be remembered as one of the funniest men that people have seen on television. 'He made us laugh, he did make us laugh, God bless him'."

Despite his success in Porridge and Open All Hours, in which he played the stuttering, lascivious shopkeeper Arkwright, Barker was never comfortable in the limelight and spent his retirement since 1988 running an antique shop in rural England.

"He was very shy, a man uneasy with the fame that came with the job," said chat show host Michael Parkinson.

He returned to television screens earlier this year, however, with Corbett to present "The Two Ronnies Sketchbook", a compilation of clips from their old shows.

Barker was survived by his wife, Joy Tubb, a daughter and two sons.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    R.I.P. Ronnie
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Show on BBC was excellent. Seems like he was a genuinely nice, and content man; unusual for such an incredibly clever and talented comedian.

adam

Was Dublin, then Madrid, then Paris, now London
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    Show on BBC was excellent. Seems like he was a genuinely nice, and content man; unusual for such an incredibly clever and talented comedian.

adam
    I'm always amazed that they can churn out these tribute shows so quickly. I wonder do they have them in a vault ready to use whenever somebody on their last legs is about to croke it.

If that's the case, what odds on a Georgie Best tribute show having already been made?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Newspaper obintuaries are certainly prepared in advance anyway, but I'd say documentaries would be more difficult because you need to involve people more, and it would be a bit tacky. They probably have plans for them though.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Certainly the news programmes would also have their obits ready in advance. Not sure on the programme last night, people seemed to be talking in the past sense, but it could've been put together from other footage. BBC have been doing Comedy Family Tree's recently so it could be from that?

Porridge my favourite Ronnie Barker show.

As has been said, seemed a genuine, nice guy.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    So farewell then Don Adams who played Maxwell Smart in one of my favourite TV programmes of my childhood, Get Smart. Who remembers "The Cone of Silence" ? Very few I suspect
    He was also the voice of Inspector Gadget .R.i.p.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Certainly the news programmes would also have their obits ready in advance. Not sure on the programme last night, people seemed to be talking in the past sense, but it could've been put together from other footage. BBC have been doing Comedy Family Tree's recently so it could be from that?

Porridge my favourite Ronnie Barker show.

As has been said, seemed a genuine, nice guy.
    poor Old Ronnie R.I.P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    SO farewell then Lord Lichfield - cousin of the Queen. Spent his lifetime photographing naked women for calendars. I can do that.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta
    Newspaper obintuaries are certainly prepared in advance anyway, but I'd say documentaries would be more difficult because you need to involve people more, and it would be a bit tacky. They probably have plans for them though.
    Dahamsta, wonder what we'd like said at our obituaries????

Yeah, Owl, big Private Eye fan myself.

E.J. Hamish (121/2)

So farewell then..until m'next post.
    Last edited by hamish; 13/11/2005 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    So farewell then..... the Red London Routemaster buses. Last day on the streets for them today. We had them in green (of course) and possibly cream. They were great for hopping on and off with the open area at the back where the bus conductor (remember them ?) used to stand but I think they've been gone from Dublin for many years now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    So farewell then Kerry Packer:

Kerry Packer never played cricket seriously but few people have made a bigger impact on the game. Earlier this year, the entrepreneur and Sir Don Bradman were named as Australian cricket's most influential men of the past 100 years. He helped transform cricket and the fortunes of its players by launching his own World Series competition.

HOW DID IT ALL START?

In 1977 Packer offered what he thought was a lucrative AUS $1.5m to the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) for rights to cover Test matches and domestic cricket on his Channel Nine network.

The board turned him down and agreed a deal with rival broadcaster ABC for significantly less money.

Packer - who was not given the opportunity to negotiate - was left fuming and announced that he would set up his own competition which would be TV-led.

WHY DID THEY DO IT?
    Cricketers earned nowhere near what today's players pick up - salaries were paltry and off-field endorsements were rare.

Unlike now, cricket boards around the world did not offer long-term central contracts, so financial security was lacking.

A number of leading internationals had become disillusioned and Packer's money provided a tempting antidote.

For the South Africans, who had been in international isolation because of apartheid, it was a welcome opportunity to pit themselves against high-quality opposition on a regular basis.

However, plenty chose not to take up the big sums being offered because they feared the repercussions: counties said they would only employ Packer players if they were available to play for England all year.

WHAT WAS THE REACTION?
    Much of the media in England and Australia was hostile and words like "traitors" and "circus" were frequently used to describe the players and Packer's revolution.

The ECB's forerunner, the Test and County Cricket Board (TCCB), was unaware of what Packer had been plotting and was taken by surprise.

It reacted angrily: Greig lost the England captaincy and, along with the game's world governing body, then called the International Cricket Conference, warned players they would be banned if they took part.

That ruling was overturned in the courts but the TCCB averted an exodus of players by offering longer-term contracts with only slight increases in pay.

HOW DID IT ALL END?
    The World Series Cricket rebellion lasted only 17 months, ending with a compromise between Packer and the authorities.

The SCG had a big crowd for the Australia-World XI Test finale

Packer had his TV rights, cricket was transformed into a professional game and the way was paved for players and administrators to pick up the riches they do today.

Some participants paid the ultimate price in terms of international careers, and were never forgiven by their countries.

But their sacrifice and Packer's gambling instinct have made an indelible impact on the sport and left a lasting legacy.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    [QUOTE=OwlsFan]So farewell then..... the Red London Routemaster buses. Last day on the streets for them today.OTE]

I heard that some Company has set up a business renovating these into places to live for flexible/temporary staff etc in the U.K.Great babe magnet........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shabby
    Heard a story once, before Ol' Blue Eyes Frankie snuffed it, where a guy (RTE employee) is in a recording studio and there is a tape still in the recording reel. He plays it and it is a voice over for a radio ad:

"Frank Sinatra, he was a living legend"

Making the tribute album before the singer carks it VERY tacky...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    So farewell then Shelly Winters.....actress but never quite a sex Godess. What you would called "a character actress" (i.e. an actress of average looks). Strangely enough I would have thought the good looking actresses also play characters but they're not called a character actress.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Actor Chris Penn found dead in his apartment age 42.Career wise never reached the heights of his Brother but was a popular b/c list Actor all the same.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 25/01/2006 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    So farwell then...Henry McGee - stooge for Benny Hill in his racy TV shows.

http://www.bemuddlement.com/McGee/

I used to enjoy the titilation (am I allowed used that word ?) of those shows back in the 1970s/80s. On a par with the Carry On films.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast